Lance to play for Isiah?

• 27 replies
Lance to play for Isiah?
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »
I will preface this post by saying that at this point almost nothing would surprise me about where Lance Stephenson ends up.

The latest rumor is that Isiah Thomas, the new coach at Florida International, has reached out to Stephenson.

“Thomas is going after Lance hard,” a source told blogger Zach Smart.

“He tried to get [Kentucky-commit] Eric Bledsoe as his first step to reviving that program. As of right now, Zeke has the upper hand on Arizona, Memphis and whoever else, for reasons I’m not at liberty to speak about.”

Now we need to keep a couple things in mind here:

**Zach is a hard-working, smart guy, but he also previously cited sources saying Lance was definitely headed to St. John’s and we know how that turned out.

**I have reached out to a few sources and am trying to confirm whether this rumor is true.

On the one hand, it kind of makes sense. Isiah is new on the job and is trying to get involved with some of the top players out there. He got Latavious Williams to visit campus and Williams said he enjoyed it. He’s due to announce between Memphis, Georgetown, Kansas State and FIU.

Isiah obviously has NBA connections and I’m sure that’s appealing to many of these kids.

On the other hand, Lance has repeatedly said he wants to play in the NCAA Tournament and have a chance to win it…yet it’s hard to imagine FIU making the Big Dance in Thomas’ first year, let alone having any kind of shot to go deep.

One thing I can confirm: Arizona IS still recruiting Lance despite rumors on blogs to the contrary. This from a source with direct knowledge.

Memphis reached out to Lance Stephenson Sr. through an intermediary and is believed to be investigating the situation.

While I feel that the descriptions by my journalistic colleagues of  Lance as a “program-killer” and a “supermodel with herpes” are unduly harsh — guys, he’s just an 18-year-old kid! — there is definitely a growing feeling that Lance’s options have diminished and he and his family may have painted themselves into a corner.

Stay tuned….

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Lance to play for Isiah?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
source/ link?

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »
not a chance in hell

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »
isiah has a better shot than norm of getting a player nba ready.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »
Zeke has been through it all who would not want their kid to play for him? He can be a great teacher since he has an unique set of experiences in his life time. In addition to that I saw pictures of the camps & it looks like a resort.

I am still a little aggy , because  I thought Lance really wanted that challenge to bring NY back
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:33:20 PM »
Didn't you know Isiah Thomas was donating this year's salary....

....to Lance Stephenson
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
I like the jab at Gary Parrish
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 10:42:47 PM »
There might be one coach that makes Norm Roberts look good.

kob24

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 01:09:03 AM »
Don't sleep on isiah. He will have that school rolling in no time

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »
Zeke has been through it all who would not want their kid to play for him? He can be a great teacher since he has an unique set of experiences in his life time. In addition to that I saw pictures of the camps & it looks like a resort.

I am still a little aggy , because  I thought Lance really wanted that challenge to bring NY back

Another gem.

Who in their right mind would let their son play for this disaster?  He was an abomination as a GM, as a coach, and as a father.  He threw his own daughter under the bus last year for his mistake.  Not cool. 

Great player...should have never tried to become any more.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »
Disagree.  While he's a shady, shady fellow, many other coaches are called shady, or have agendas... it's not uncommon.  Isiah is still an NBA HOF'er, still was an excellent point guard, and hate him or not, has an eye for talent, just not an eye for free agents.  I can see him flaming out and taking the school with him with his Slick Isiah style, or I can see him imparting an intense style on a college team.  Some guys are not made for the pros, the egos, the scrutiny, the lawsuits...

There's no money involved so he can't cap FIU out or make the school fold. 

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
Disagree.  While he's a shady, shady fellow, many other coaches are called shady, or have agendas... it's not uncommon.  Isiah is still an NBA HOF'er, still was an excellent point guard, and hate him or not, has an eye for talent, just not an eye for free agents.  I can see him flaming out and taking the school with him with his Slick Isiah style, or I can see him imparting an intense style on a college team.  Some guys are not made for the pros, the egos, the scrutiny, the lawsuits...

I was addressing Kahnight's "who wouldn't send their son to play for Isiah" comment.  I am one. 

1. Sexual lawsuit against him
2. Threw his own daughter on the bus and had the world believe SHE attempted suicide
3. Horibble GM
4. Horrible coach
5. Bad person

HOF point guard, yes.  But what does that mean when you are lousy at running a team and a family?  The only thing he has going for him is his name.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »

dude.....cmon man!!!

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:13:35 PM »

I was addressing Kahnight's "who wouldn't send their son to play for Isiah" comment.  I am one. 

2. Threw his own daughter on the bus and had the world believe SHE attempted suicide
3. Horibble GM
4. Horrible coach
5. Bad person

HOF point guard, yes.  But what does that mean when you are lousy at running a team and a family?  The only thing he has going for him is his name.

GREAT points - we agree occasionally I guess marillac ha ha.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »

3. Horibble GM
4. Horrible coach
5. Bad person

GREAT points - we agree occasionally I guess marillac ha ha.

I think we agree a lot of the time.  Most of the time we just argue a certain aspect of something that we both agree on.

Buckeyestorm with another "dude.....cmon man!!!"  lol

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 05:45:17 PM »
I think Zeke know how to sell hisself one on one like mad.
Look fo recruits to head his way.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 09:32:51 PM »

3. Horibble GM
4. Horrible coach
5. Bad person

By all accounts, he's a s**tty person.  Doesn't mean that he doesn't have a chance at success.  The fact that he's involved in basketball after all of that means that he has some ability to, as Choz mentions, sell himself.  That's going to go a decent way, if he doesn't piss off the whole state of Florida before establishing what he wants the program to be.

I wouldn't send my kid to Isiah either.  But I don't have a son who's a baller; and if I ever do, I won't need him to be around an NBAer at that cost.

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »
he still has connections to the NBA.  he has a great eye for young talent (just forget about channing frye..) and i don't think he's a bad coach.  he was good with indiana.  i think with the knicks he quit.

for someone from a low income family, i can see how isiah can relate to him. 

personally, i wouldn't want isiah to coach st johns, but i think he is going to be a home run for FIU

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »

3. Horibble GM
4. Horrible coach
5. Bad person

1.I followed that case very closely it was a bunch of he say, she say & Thomas is appealing the case. I saw no hard evidence & I also saw the woman :'(, she didn't win any damages, it was a BS Case.
2.Thomas already spoke about that, he said the police chief didn't know his daughter was in hospital, it was misreported.The man obviously loves his daughter she just sign LOI to FIU
3.Part of being a GM is drafting the man is one of the best drafters in NBA history = Wilson Chandler, Trevor Ariza,David Lee  , Nate Rob. , Marcus Camby , Tracy McGrady & Damon Stoudamire. Frye was the leading rookie scorer going into the All-star break that year & was playing really good coming out of college.It just so happens that was the year when Larry Brown Alzheimer was kicking in & Frye career was never the same.
4. I was never a fan of him coaching & Dolan forced him to coach & GM in NY which is impossible to do in Major market & the biggest market at that.
5.Thomas was named a “Father of the Year” in 2004 by the National Father’s Day Committee, as well as one of the “100 Most Influential Minorities in Sports” by Sports Illustrated in 2003, ’04 and ’05 and one of the “50 Most Powerful Blacks in Sports” by Black Enterprise Magazine in 2005. He was named the 1985 Michiganian of the Year and received the University of Detroit Mercy President’s Cabinet medallion in 1992 for his contributions to the community. He was also named one of The Sporting News’ “101 Most Powerful People in Sports” in 1999.

L

As I stated before Thomas has a unique set of experience & the more diverse your experience are the better you are at teaching and passing down knowledge.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:16:05 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"