In all honesty...

• 69 replies
Re: In all honesty...
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 03:26:41 AM »
lol i dont know who old red is.

just to clarify im not sitting here sayin SJU is going to be a final four team next year. all im sayin is we're in a definite situation to improve with all our starters returning and added depth at our weak position. as a fan im hoping for drastic improvement but as a realest im not sure if thats quite possible. im real excited to watch this team play this upcoming season. maybe we'll even find a breakthrough role player, who knows?
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

kob24

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
Ok I kinda undertsand where u are coming from. But I don't think a program changer is someone who averages 15 a game. A program changer is some one averaging 20-25 a game. Or 20-15rebounds. St.johns needs more than a program changer. The need changers plural. Lance couldn't do it himself. I personally believe they need a center. But I find it very hard for norm not to make the post season with this team. And I'm not banking on the whole they juniors now. U have a upgrade in talent but that have to be utilized. At this point john wall could come here and he wouldn't change anything.

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 12:38:22 PM »
scott is a lockdown defender capable of guarding a 1-3.  he developed a very realiable jump shot and proved he can hit the big shot if his team needs it.  he's shown he is a leader and a winner.  on offense he can play the 1 or 2.  and he's very athletic.  at the 1 he would make an impact from day 1 and possibly start.  omari is a 2/3, who is an inconsistent defender, jump shot isn't impressive, and is far away from being as athletic as he was.  again i'm basing this off of last year but i think scott, esp in the CHSAA finals/Glens Falls, he really proved to be a great player.   

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
im interested to see what brownlee and hardy produce. hardy used to kill in hs so it would be interesting to see how he performs this year under the stress of heavier compitition. i have no idea what to expect from brownlee, but at this point he can only help us and not hurt us. these guys mite just be 2 x-factors. or i might just be speaking to early.

im expectin omari and stith to provide a decent spark off the bench.

also for st johns to improve justin burrell and rob thomas both need to have breakthrough years. sean evans needs to be more consistent.

overall ive said it before and ill say it again, i think the team is in a great position to improve..just wish i could faster foward time to bball season lol
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

Poison

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »
A program changer isn't defined by statistics.
Zendon put up 20 and 10 as a soph and we were much worse then.

A program changer is the complete package. Our last program changer was Erick Barkley.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:38:12 PM by Poison »

sjd8886

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
But it's a known fact that Omari was offered from Pitt,uconn,and louiville. U can go on anywhere on the web and find that out. And I believe that random posted a old article with Omari saying he wasn't coming here and everyone was saying norm missed out on another stud from newyork. Now u telling me if he decided to go to Marquette or uconn he would have been feared? I can't speak for brownlee he isn't one of my guys but as far as Omari y'all have a huge steal. But since he commited here he isnt good . And don't get it twisted I'm not considering him a program changer all by himself but he is the type of player norm should have been getting since year 3. U should be estatic he chose y'all over his other high major NCAA tournament ready teams.

KOB, I never said in any of my posts that Lawrence was not good.  And from what I've heard on all of these boards, I'm expecting him to contribute for St. John's over the course of his career in Queens.  What I'm saying is exactly what you just said ... on the surface, he's not a program changing player.  He's probably not someone who will come in next year and average 15 ppg from the start.  And while he may be an integral piece in rebuilding the program, he's probably not the player who will make St. John's relevant once more.

Plus, he's not really the recruit I'm questioning Norm about.  If Norm was bringing in 4 players with Omari's apparent skill set, I wouldn't be so lukewarm on the class.  It just seems like we're bringing in a crop of players that nobody really knows what to expect (once again).  2 JC recruits and 1 questionable PG signing.  And while people will give me the laundry list of apparent accomplishments that these players may have, I heard the same stuff being thrown around when we signed Edmondson, Wait, Cavataio, etc. and the same result seems to keep coming up over and over again.  I'm just wondering when people will learn their lesson, that's all.

agree

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »
All this talk about program changers... in this day and age, does one player change a program?  I'm sure there are examples of players who have elevated a team for a year or two, but those players usually elevate a team that's already something of note.  Even Steph Curry and Davidson - that team was a tough out even when they were one and done in the tourney (or didn't make it).

Coaches change programs. 

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »
scott is a lockdown defender capable of guarding a 1-3.  he developed a very realiable jump shot and proved he can hit the big shot if his team needs it.  he's shown he is a leader and a winner.  on offense he can play the 1 or 2.  and he's very athletic.  at the 1 he would make an impact from day 1 and possibly start.  omari is a 2/3, who is an inconsistent defender, jump shot isn't impressive, and is far away from being as athletic as he was.  again i'm basing this off of last year but i think scott, esp in the CHSAA finals/Glens Falls, he really proved to be a great player.

I've heard from a few people now that Omari needs to get in shape. He isn't as explosive as he was since he has put on weight. I'm hopeful that he will put in work this summer with Coach Dixon and be in great shape come fall.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2009, 05:23:39 PM »

ok the thing with scott tho is he's pretty much guarenteed a key role over at miami...i f we would have signed scott he would have been in the same position as omari is....if u through omari at miami im sure hed be more of an impact player off rip...the thing you have to look at is the biggest talents out of nyc all play the same position for the most part...atleast we finally got one and we have to build off that

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2009, 05:39:27 PM »

ok the thing with scott tho is he's pretty much guarenteed a key role over at miami...i f we would have signed scott he would have been in the same position as omari is....if u through omari at miami im sure hed be more of an impact player off rip...the thing you have to look at is the biggest talents out of nyc all play the same position for the most part...atleast we finally got one and we have to build off that

durand scott would be our starting point guard.

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »
he could but thats like saying brownlee or even stephenson if we got him would play pg 4 us...doubt it!!

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
i talked to an asst at miami at glens falls and he said scott will play the point for them.

scott is a 1-3, while omari is strictly a 2/3 and scott is better.  i'm not trying to make omari look like a bum because he's a good player and will have a nice four year career for us.  but ask most people and they take scott without a question.

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2009, 10:55:07 PM »
You don't think Malcolm Grant is the Starting PG for the Canes next year? The Brooklyn boy out played Fisher his freshman year.I still have that LSU game on my DVR, when he led that come back.

I also agree Scott would be our starting PG, but I doubt he is starting PG for the Canes
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:59:22 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »
You don't think Malcolm Grant is the Starting PG for the Canes next year? The Brooklyn boy out played Fisher his freshman year.I still have that LSU game on my DVR, when he led that come back.

I also agree Scott would be our starting PG, but I doubt he is starting for the Canes

i don't think it's out of the question to see him start. i'd think he comes off the bench but plays quality minutes. 

kob24

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2009, 11:55:49 PM »
Random are u trying to tell me how my own players are?

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:46 PM »
i'm telling you my opinion. i haven't seen omari all year. but i've seen scott in the biggest moments of his HS career and throughout the season. 

sometimes those closer to the player are more biased and don't show the most realistic look.

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2009, 09:47:45 AM »
i talked to an asst at miami at glens falls and he said scott will play the point for them.

scott is a 1-3, while omari is strictly a 2/3 and scott is better.  i'm not trying to make omari look like a bum because he's a good player and will have a nice four year career for us.  but ask most people and they take scott without a question.
;If they felt that Durand Scott would be there starting point guard, why are they seriously chasin John Wall. Additionally, Malcolm Grant is a much better player than Durand. If they land Jihn Wall, he is the starting pg, with Malcolm at the 2, and Dequan Jones at the 3.

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »
I saw Omari a couple of times this year at South Kent and have to agree with 2013. The explosiveness and quickness that he showed at St. Raymond's is not quite back yet. He was phenomenal at St. Ray's but looked a bit sluggish and too stationary at SK. When he moved with the ball he could make things happen and his passing was excellent. Unless there is a lingering physical problem I hope he turns himself over to the SJU conditioning program in two weeks when SK is out. If he is back in form in October we have a real firecracker on our hands.

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »
i'm telling you my opinion. i haven't seen omari all year. but i've seen scott in the biggest moments of his HS career and throughout the season. 

sometimes those closer to the player are more biased and don't show the most realistic look.

If you haven't seen Omari all year then how can you give an opinion on him?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 11:53:30 AM »
i've seen omari play last year and i've heard from everyone he's not the same player.

and why wouldn't miami recruit john wall?  john wall is the #1 player in the country.... that's a ridiculous question.