Rumble in the Bronx

• 43 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Rumble in the Bronx
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:09:04 PM »
So when do the games actually start?  Particularly on Saturday - I'm trying to make my way up there for a few hours while I'm in town.

Re: Rumble in the Bronx
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:40 AM »
This years RUMBLE in the BRONX (June 12 -14 @ Fordham University, Bronx, NY) features the best collection of 17U teams in the events 10 year history!

Need evidence? How about the winner of Bob Gibbons, - Team Final? Got em. The winner of the NIKE MDC - California Supreme? Got em. The winner of the King James Classic - New York Gauchos? Got em. How about the Wallace Prather - Nike Team Florida? Got em. The Playaz Spring Fling - New England Playaz? Got em.

Everywhere you look there are talented Teams. Did I mention Nike Baltimore Elite, Louisiana Select, Albany City Rocks, Juice, NY Panthers, Team Odom LA, New Heights - all coming,

If your looking for individual talent, we have plenty. Jared Sullinger, Adrien Payne, Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Mike Gilchrist, Will Barton, Josh Selby, Gary Franklin Jr., Tobias Harris, Taran Buie, Will Regan, Doron Lamb, Jason Morris, Shane Southwell, Langston Galloway, Evan Smotrycz, Jayvaughn Pinkston, Devon Collier and many others.

This is the last Big team event before July that promises to have some elite level showdowns between great individual players, but more important for the Team Hardware.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:01:36 AM »
This years RUMBLE in the BRONX (June 12 -14 @ Fordham University, Bronx, NY) features the best collection of 17U teams in the events 10 year history!

Need evidence? How about the winner of Bob Gibbons, - Team Final? Got em. The winner of the NIKE MDC - California Supreme? Got em. The winner of the King James Classic - New York Gauchos? Got em. How about the Wallace Prather - Nike Team Florida? Got em. The Playaz Spring Fling - New England Playaz? Got em.

Everywhere you look there are talented Teams. Did I mention Nike Baltimore Elite, Louisiana Select, Albany City Rocks, Juice, NY Panthers, Team Odom LA, New Heights - all coming,

If your looking for individual talent, we have plenty. Jared Sullinger, Adrien Payne, Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Mike Gilchrist, Will Barton, Josh Selby, Gary Franklin Jr., Tobias Harris, Taran Buie, Will Regan, Doron Lamb, Jason Morris, Shane Southwell, Langston Galloway, Evan Smotrycz, Jayvaughn Pinkston, Devon Collier and many others.

This is the last Big team event before July that promises to have some elite level showdowns between great individual players, but more important for the Team Hardware.
Jim Hart is trying to sell his tournament, but a sizable amount of the nation's elite underclassmen will be in St. Louis or Colorado

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »
I saw the ad, but what time do the games start?? That's the thing I can't find.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »
i'll be there.  i'll find out the times for you.

kob24

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 12:22:56 AM »
its a good tournament to go to. if u want to see a player just go to fordham instead of looking at rivals and scout. make ur own judgement

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 12:44:44 AM »
Nah, I'm excited to go if I can make it.  Ill look out for y'all.  And I love going to Rose Hill.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:51:10 AM »
i think on saturday it starts at like 10 or 11 am.  i know it's early because i have to leave before 4, so i was happy to hear that.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »

Sullinger and Payne, two of the best prospects, will likely not be there.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 02:59:21 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 11:39:09 PM »
http://www.cityrocks.org/rumble/schedule.asp
Nice, thanks.  I'll probably try to catch the A and F pools on Saturday (2-4.45... ish).

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 01:52:25 AM »
http://www.cityrocks.org/rumble/schedule.asp
Nice, thanks.  I'll probably try to catch the A and F pools on Saturday (2-4.45... ish).
Norm was there today watching the Westchester Hawks play the NYC Jaguars. For the sake of an NCAA investigation, he may have been watching one of his kids.

If you get a chance, watch Gilchrist (Team Final) or Irving (NJ Roadrunners). For the purposes of St. John's take a look at New Heights (Pinkston). I watched some of the City Rocks' game. Their big guys (Tsafack, Regan, Kifone) and Taran Buie blew the doors off of the Brooklyn Patriots 81-35, ending the game early via the mercy rule.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:02:06 AM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 09:06:41 AM »
I'll be at Fordham by 11. I'll be wearing a Johnny Jungle tee with a white hat. If anyone is there please feel free come up and say hi.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »
So it was a good day at the Rumble in the Bronx. Got to check out a good amount of teams. I saw the guachos, new heights, panthers, city rock, triple threat, new england playaz.

Overall I was disappointed in team play thought a lot of stuff looked pretty sloppy. Playaz were by far the best team I saw on the day.

I focused on players I know we're targetting and some I liked more than others.

Doron Lamb is a nice player, saw him in a blowout and looked like he was cruise control. Even though he was on cruise control he was still dominating. He made some great passes off the dribble and got his fair share of steals on defense.

Shane Southwell is another nice player who likes the ball in his hands and be a creator. My first impression is that he will be a great player for a smaller program. He does a little bit of everything, a jack of all trades, but he really doesn't excel in any one area nor does he elite athleticism.

JJ Moore is a player who definitely has some potential. He hit some 3's catch and shoot, off the dribble, on the step back. He crashed the glass for put back dunks and he was always around the ball on defense. He is still a little raw in his handle but if he works hard I think he could be a pretty nice player. He reminded me of Paris Horne a little bit.

Mike Poole might be Cedric Jackson Jr. He was a good defender who jumped passing lanes for steals and was solid on the ball as well. His handle was suspect as it was a real slap dribble not smooth. Didn't show any type of range but did show a knack for getting to the basket. If he went to the basket he was putting it up no matter what, no dishes. He could be a nice player for a smaller school but he needs to work on his game.

Rod Odom someone who we might not have heard of yet is a lanky big man who does a little and if you didn't know better you'd think he was related to Lamar, I did. He looked like a baby who might do a little more growing but he has some hops, blocks shots. I'd give him a look for sure.

Jayvaughn Pinkston looked like a man amongst boys. He is big and strong. If he was going to the hole he was finishing and 1. He hit some outside shots but then again he air balled a few too. He needs to work on his outside game but his inside game is strong. He tried to pump and drive a few times but no one bit on the fake because they wanted him to shoot. If he could develop a little more touch from out there he will be seriously dangerous. I'd sign him to play on this squad in a heartbeat.

Devon Collier and Ashton Pankey were both big skinny big men. Collier was quick to get off his feet but lacked strength at times going up but he kept grabbing his own rebound and I like that. Pankey was the more unpolished out of the two but I think both possess decent upside and I'd keep an eye on them. I don't know what their plans are but I think both would greatly benefit from a year of prep school before heading to college to raise their stock.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 06:54:28 PM »
I was there as well.  Thought Rod Odom has a lot of abilities, but he hasn't focused on what he wants to do yet.  Potential, for sure. 

And JJ Moore has some nice athleticism, even if he faded at the end; I liked seeing him live.

And that Jordan Dykstra kid and Martin Bros? Nice team.  Dykstra looks pretty talented; 6'8" a little range if I remember correctly.  Decent ability even if he doesn't get up that quick.

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 06:57:42 PM »
If you had to chose...Pankey or Collier?  Or is it too close?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »
So it was a good day at the Rumble in the Bronx. Got to check out a good amount of teams. I saw the guachos, new heights, panthers, city rock, triple threat, new england playaz.

Overall I was disappointed in team play thought a lot of stuff looked pretty sloppy. Playaz were by far the best team I saw on the day.

I focused on players I know we're targetting and some I liked more than others.

Doron Lamb is a nice player, saw him in a blowout and looked like he was cruise control. Even though he was on cruise control he was still dominating. He made some great passes off the dribble and got his fair share of steals on defense.

Shane Southwell is another nice player who likes the ball in his hands and be a creator. My first impression is that he will be a great player for a smaller program. He does a little bit of everything, a jack of all trades, but he really doesn't excel in any one area nor does he elite athleticism.

JJ Moore is a player who definitely has some potential. He hit some 3's catch and shoot, off the dribble, on the step back. He crashed the glass for put back dunks and he was always around the ball on defense. He is still a little raw in his handle but if he works hard I think he could be a pretty nice player. He reminded me of Paris Horne a little bit.

Mike Poole might be Cedric Jackson Jr. He was a good defender who jumped passing lanes for steals and was solid on the ball as well. His handle was suspect as it was a real slap dribble not smooth. Didn't show any type of range but did show a knack for getting to the basket. If he went to the basket he was putting it up no matter what, no dishes. He could be a nice player for a smaller school but he needs to work on his game.

Rod Odom someone who we might not have heard of yet is a lanky big man who does a little and if you didn't know better you'd think he was related to Lamar, I did. He looked like a baby who might do a little more growing but he has some hops, blocks shots. I'd give him a look for sure.

Jayvaughn Pinkston looked like a man amongst boys. He is big and strong. If he was going to the hole he was finishing and 1. He hit some outside shots but then again he air balled a few too. He needs to work on his outside game but his inside game is strong. He tried to pump and drive a few times but no one bit on the fake because they wanted him to shoot. If he could develop a little more touch from out there he will be seriously dangerous. I'd sign him to play on this squad in a heartbeat.

Devon Collier and Ashton Pankey were both big skinny big men. Collier was quick to get off his feet but lacked strength at times going up but he kept grabbing his own rebound and I like that. Pankey was the more unpolished out of the two but I think both possess decent upside and I'd keep an eye on them. I don't know what their plans are but I think both would greatly benefit from a year of prep school before heading to college to raise their stock.

i was there too.  i can't disagree with anything you said. 

i saw michael gilchrist (great kid too) and he is a pro.  best player in the tournament and i don't think it's close.

kob24

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »
We lost to michael team in the playoffs. And they won the whole thing

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 07:32:20 PM »
We lost to michael team in the playoffs. And they won the whole thing

damn that should have been a good game.  i woke up at like 10 30 so i couldn't see any of the early games. 

i think i might have been sitting nxt to you for the new heights game on sat.

kob24

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 08:18:14 PM »
I was with dave on Saturday. But it was a horrible game we lost by 20