Rumble in the Bronx

• 43 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Rumble in the Bronx
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »
If you had to chose...Pankey or Collier?  Or is it too close?
For me, when I saw them... Pankey didn't do anything much, but he didn't get close to the ball.  Collier looked like he had some nice skills.  Pinkston and the point guard (what was his name, Hakeem? Kadeem? Something?) handled the ball on offense the most.

kob24

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »
Hakeem Harris. Mike was good in the tournament. But one of my favorites was kyrie Irving. And alex murphy( eric murphy younger brother) will Barton was looking good also. Cross was there all games and I saw billy also

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 10:01:07 AM »
What did you think of Hakeem Harris?

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »

Gun to my head fi you had to pick a player right now I'd pick Collier. I think Pankey might be a bit taller though but as of right now he is the more unpolished out of the two.

I'd like to get another look at both of them though. I'm going on a pretty small sample size but one benefit is that I did see them go against some pretty good big men.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 05:46:04 PM »
Collier, no question
I was there as well.

One of the writers was saying what punks Collier and Pankey were to deal with, while Pinkston was a nutcase. God bless those New Heights coaches for their patience. For St. John's, though, you'd have to take any of them. One PA Juco assistant, who was scouting players, felt that Pinkston wasn't going to help us move up much in the Big East.

I liked what I saw out of Kyle Anderson and Kyrie Irving. Between Kyrie and Gilchrist, Coach Boyle shouldn't lose a game next year. As it is, they went 19-1 after KI joined the team.

My man, Kevin Armstrong, has been working on a long piece on Kyrie, which should be ready for Friday on SI.com.

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »
Collier, no question
I was there as well.

One of the writers was saying what punks Collier and Pankey were to deal with, while Pinkston was a nutcase. God bless those New Heights coaches for their patience. For St. John's, though, you'd have to take any of them. One PA Juco assistant, who was scouting players, felt that Pinkston wasn't going to help us move up much in the Big East.

I liked what I saw out of Kyle Anderson and Kyrie Irving. Between Kyrie and Gilchrist, Coach Boyle shouldn't lose a game next year. As it is, they went 19-1 after KI joined the team.

My man, Kevin Armstrong, has been working on a long piece on Kyrie, which should be ready for Friday on SI.com.

You should have come up and said hello. You couldn't miss me with the Jungle T on.

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 06:32:41 PM »
Collier, no question
I was there as well.

You should have come up and said hello. You couldn't miss me with the Jungle T on.
Were you upstairs, in the Lombardi Center, or over at Manhattan? I tried to look for someone matching your description. I must've somehow missed you. Did you see Norm at all? I only saw him for the one game.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »
Collier, no question
I was there as well.

Were you upstairs, in the Lombardi Center, or over at Manhattan? I tried to look for someone matching your description. I must've somehow missed you. Did you see Norm at all? I only saw him for the one game.

I was there Saturday. I stayed upstairs to watch Guachos and Heat. Went down stairs briefly after and was watching a team from Louisiana mostly talking to Jeff Borzello and Peter. I then went over to Manhattan college to check out Panthers vs Martin Bros(from Iowa) followed by New Heights vs NE Playaz.

Didn't see Norm at all however both Billy and Oz were in the house as spectators.

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 02:17:32 PM »
I was there Saturday. I stayed upstairs to watch Guachos and Heat. Went down stairs briefly after and was watching a team from Louisiana mostly talking to Jeff Borzello and Peter. I then went over to Manhattan college to check out Panthers vs Martin Bros(from Iowa) followed by New Heights vs NE Playaz.

Didn't see Norm at all however both Billy and Oz were in the house as spectators.
I actually saw Singleton and Cross too. What did you think of the NE Playaz?

BTW, Borzello, a UConn fan and recent Delaware grad, should stick to the one thing he does best, which is just asking the recruits what schools are recruiting them. When he tried to break news by saying Ky Irving's dad was wearing Indiana clothing, he confused Drederick Irving with a man that was 5 inches shorter, heavier, and slightly lighter skinned wearing Indiana gear.  ;)

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 10:57:10 PM »

BTW, Borzello, a UConn fan and recent Delaware grad, should stick to the one thing he does best, which is just asking the recruits what schools are recruiting them. When he tried to break news by saying Ky Irving's dad was wearing Indiana clothing, he confused Drederick Irving with a man that was 5 inches shorter, heavier, and slightly lighter skinned wearing Indiana gear.  ;)

I liked the Playaz a lot. They were probably the most organized team that I was fortunate enough to see. You can tell that they practice and have played together a lot. The kid going to Georgetown should be a pretty solid 4 year player. He won't be a superstar but he'll be a great guy off the bench or role player. Used both of his hands well and just showed a good knowledge of the game.

Jeff is a good guy and I'll be the first to admit I'm always asking everybody who everybody else is. The only guy I could easily spot out was Dick Weiss for obvious reasons.  ;D

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »
After the first game somebody threw a huge paper bag over Norm to see if he could coach his way out of it.  He couldn't.

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »

I liked the Playaz a lot. They were probably the most organized team that I was fortunate enough to see. You can tell that they practice and have played together a lot. The kid going to Georgetown should be a pretty solid 4 year player. He won't be a superstar but he'll be a great guy off the bench or role player. Used both of his hands well and just showed a good knowledge of the game.

Jeff is a good guy and I'll be the first to admit I'm always asking everybody who everybody else is. The only guy I could easily spot out was Dick Weiss for obvious reasons.  ;D
Exactly, they're coached by John Carroll, who used to coach the Boston Celtics. Sadly, so many AAU teams are coached by guys that have no basketball acumen, but instead are just figureheads, reliant upon connections.

My cousin said Lubick is playing well this weekend at the NBAPA 100, but Pinkston showed up a day late.

LJSA

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »
After the first game somebody threw a huge paper bag over Norm to see if he could coach his way out of it.  He couldn't.

That was pretty good. I'll have to steal it for future use.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 12:48:31 AM »

Exactly, they're coached by John Carroll, who used to coach the Boston Celtics. Sadly, so many AAU teams are coached by guys that have no basketball acumen, but instead are just figureheads, reliant upon connections.

My cousin said Lubick is playing well this weekend at the NBAPA 100, but Pinkston showed up a day late.

Haha thats why he looked so familiar. I knew that I knew him from somewhere. He is crazy. F this F that he almost had a heart attack over the scorers table over 2 points in the beginning of the game. I admit I thought the scoreboard crew had too many people distracting around the table so he might have been right but he was off his rocker about it. His team was well coached and well prepared though.

kob24

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 03:36:16 AM »
he is always bugging out but he is cool as hell

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 07:01:04 PM »
just a warning, the comment im about to post is compltetly unrelated to basketball, just my opinion.

The playaz are easily the best AAU team in the new england region. i dont like them b/c they have very shady practices. the team is run by a thug. the owner is TJ gassanola who has a large rap sheet. i also dont like carroll he is exteremly condescending.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »
just a warning, the comment im about to post is compltetly unrelated to basketball, just my opinion.

The playaz are easily the best AAU team in the new england region. i dont like them b/c they have very shady practices. the team is run by a thug. the owner is TJ gassanola who has a large rap sheet. i also dont like carroll he is exteremly condescending.
All you need to know is that Gassnola's tight with Calipari, Huggins, and Vaccarro. Forget about the burglary and battery charges.

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 08:14:07 PM »

All you need to know is that Gassnola's tight with Calipari, Huggins, and Vaccarro. Forget about the burglary and battery charges.

lol true true...to quote mr gassnola himself..."im not a saint"

kob24

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 12:57:10 AM »
When u say new england u mean above ny,nj,pa right?

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 01:31:47 PM »
yea..mass, conn, vt,nh, Ri...not really bball hotbeds but ct, ma, and ri produce good prospects