Zag's Big East preseason predictions

• 41 replies
Re: Zag's Big East preseason predictions
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
St.johns will be in the top 7

what happened??? you have inside info that norm quit?

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 11:24:52 PM »
Marquette 2nd string: Burke. That's all I know by name. It just feels like Norm can't compete with them. The best he's ever done against them is when we played them relatively tight for a bit a few years ago.

Well I'm very interested to see in how Marquette does next season. I was very impressed by Buzz Williams in his interviews and game planning. He was very sharp and his team reflected that.

I don't care who they are bringing in because its going to be very hard to replace what they lost. They got away with being thin inside last year but you can do that if you have 3 senior NBA quality guards on your team. This year it might be much harder to mask that. We'll see.

On paper St. John's should be better but as we know the games aren't played on paper.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 12:44:15 AM »
St.johns will be in the top 7

what happened??? you have inside info that norm quit?
lol nah he is keeping his job. i just think that now he has talent on the bench. he cant #$%^ that up no way. i dont think gtown,dame,or cuse is gonna be that high. and i dont believe in cincy

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 03:33:04 AM »
It doesn't matter if a team won by 30 if there are three different starters or more.  It's a brand new game.  Syracuse will be a different team with Flynn, Devo, and Harris.  They have absolutely no experience returning at the guard positions!  Flynn and Devo played the entire game in that 6OT game with Uconn. 

And why does everyone think that Triche is some god? 

Even a team like WV loses Ruoff.  That will be very tough to replace. As good as Butler was, he was there guy last year.  He did everything.

I'm not sure if there is one team that is unbeatable next year.  There will be some very good teams like Nova, WV, and Uconn, but none of those three would be able to play with the big four we had last year. 

kob24

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 11:48:10 AM »
I think wv wins the big east

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »
It doesn't matter if a team won by 30 if there are three different starters or more.  It's a brand new game.  Syracuse will be a different team with Flynn, Devo, and Harris.  They have absolutely no experience returning at the guard positions!  Flynn and Devo played the entire game in that 6OT game with Uconn. 

Even a team like WV loses Ruoff.  That will be very tough to replace. As good as Butler was, he was there guy last year.  He did everything.

I'm not sure if there is one team that is unbeatable next year.  There will be some very good teams like Nova, WV, and Uconn, but none of those three would be able to play with the big four we had last year.
For me, it's not a question of whether those teams will be as good, because they won't be the same.  But those big losses indicate a serious disparity in talent, not just experience.  The experience level is dropping but the talent level?  Lots of talented players rode pine last year.

boo3

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »
I think wv wins the big east

Think that's a great call KOB!  I also think Devin Ebanks will be POY  in the Big East.  He's gonna explode this year.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »

For me, it's not a question of whether those teams will be as good, because they won't be the same.  But those big losses indicate a serious disparity in talent, not just experience.  The experience level is dropping but the talent level?  Lots of talented players rode pine last year.

I hate reading my old posts and seeing a there/their error :)  One of these days I'll actually read a post before I submit it.

I understand what you are saying about the big losses, but the slate has to be wiped clean with so many different players.  It's just impossible to quantify.  It's not as simple as saying that Flynn will cost Syracuse ten points. 

Mason should be better than any freshman in the Big East next year.  He was top a top 60 player out of high school and he is a fifth year senior with five years of college lifting/conditioning/experience. 

I really think we can have a sick year, man.  Just picturing the players DJ and Paris have turned into playing with Mase is a very exciting scenario.  We got so lucky with the Mase injury.  Not only did it save Mase for this coming year and not waste him with a bunch of little kids and a ridiculous conference, but it also gave DJ and Paris the opportunity to step up, get minutes, and carry a team. 

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »
Marquette 2nd string: Burke. That's all I know by name. It just feels like Norm can't compete with them. The best he's ever done against them is when we played them relatively tight for a bit a few years ago.

They've had 3 NBA quality guards as four year starters the last four years.  You were surprised SJU wasn't better than them?  PS Burke graduated.  You said this year's second team, try again.   ;D

Poison

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
Okay, so I'm wrong. Burke graduated.
Without having any names I still say they beat us.

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »
Okay, so I'm wrong. Burke graduated.
Without having any names I still say they beat us.

Here's my little cribsheet I'm keeping on them so next time you can be a little better informed.

Marquette:
Leaving:  Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, Wesley Matthews, Dwight Burke, Patrick Hazell
Coming:  4* Junior Cadougan, Erik Williams, Jeronne Maymon, 3* Dwight Buycks (JC), 2* Brett Roseboro, Youssoupha Mbao + Transfer Liam McMorrow
Key Returnees:  Lazr Haywood, Jimmy Butler, Maurice Acker, David Cubillan, Chris Otule

Starters:
PG:  David Cubillan
SG:  Maurice Acker
SF:  Lazr Haywood
PF:  Jimmy Butler
C:  Liam McMorrow

Poison

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
wow, that looks like a lot of work.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »

Don't know if you're being facetious but I usually start a word doc covering all the teams in the Big East at the end of the early signing period and fill in all the pertinent data as it's known at that time and then update it whenever I read something new until the beginning of practice.  I'm getting old and it's the only way I can really remember all the comings and goings.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 08:30:26 PM »
In regards to a very well coached Marquette team,
You might want to throw out that list when predicting where they'll finish or how they'll do against us.

They don't play the games on paper. They'll smoke us again because they have a great system.

We always assume at SJU that just because a team lost a lot that we'll compete better with their back ups and incoming class.

But when does it ever turn out that way?

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 10:14:02 PM »

I hate reading my old posts and seeing a there/their error :)  One of these days I'll actually read a post before I submit it.

I understand what you are saying about the big losses, but the slate has to be wiped clean with so many different players.  It's just impossible to quantify.  It's not as simple as saying that Flynn will cost Syracuse ten points. 

Mason should be better than any freshman in the Big East next year.  He was top a top 60 player out of high school and he is a fifth year senior with five years of college lifting/conditioning/experience. 

I really think we can have a sick year, man.  Just picturing the players DJ and Paris have turned into playing with Mase is a very exciting scenario.  We got so lucky with the Mase injury.  Not only did it save Mase for this coming year and not waste him with a bunch of little kids and a ridiculous conference, but it also gave DJ and Paris the opportunity to step up, get minutes, and carry a team.

Marillac, how much can you bench?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 11:49:57 PM »

Don't know if you're being facetious but I usually start a word doc covering all the teams in the Big East at the end of the early signing period and fill in all the pertinent data as it's known at that time and then update it whenever I read something new until the beginning of practice.  I'm getting old and it's the only way I can really remember all the comings and goings.
And me, I'm just trying to hold it in my head!  I am going to borrow your methodological style.  But I think McMorrow's giving up basketball b/c of some health condition.  Yes, here's an article/ post: http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2009/05/liam-mcmorrow-we-hardley-knew-ye.html. 

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 08:42:19 AM »

Marillac, how much can you bench?

A lot more than anyone in the NBA draft apparently.

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »

Does anyone have any info on how Mase's conditioning and training have been since the injury? I know he was filming with MTV on his recovery.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 09:36:28 AM »

Does anyone have any info on how Mase's conditioning and training have been since the injury? I know he was filming with MTV on his recovery.

I saw him at games towards the end of the season and he was as skinny as ever.
I think if he was going to bulk up, he'd have done it by now. The idea of him playing down low works for me, but can he handle it?

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 09:59:36 AM »

I saw him at games towards the end of the season and he was as skinny as ever.
I think if he was going to bulk up, he'd have done it by now. The idea of him playing down low works for me, but can he handle it?

It's really hard not to look skinny in street clothes when you are 6'7+ and as long as Mason.  Kennedy is clearly better off down low for us.  He is our best rebounder and he is deceptively strong.  He's probably our most fiery player as well.  Watching him straight-up battle Paul Harris for position (and win) defensively two possessions in a row was probably the highlight of the season for me.  Dude didn't give an INCH and they were throwing around their bodies.  And Harris is jacked!

Kennedy has good leg strength and uses his lower body well in the paint.  He also can make a typical four pay on the other end more than Mase could because he is better at driving to the basket.  That is the weakest part of Mase's game.