Zagsblog Video: Norm on St. John's

• 17 replies

Re: Zagsblog Video: Norm on St. John's
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »
no sound on these liberary computers...can anyone tell me what hes saying..
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »
...talked about recruits filling needs...Hardy is a shooter. Stith is a ball handler.  Omari is a slasher/scorer and Brownlee is as talented as anyone on the roster.

Brownlee can play 1 through 4 and also mentioned he would help us play small.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
Nothing too ground breaking and Norm didn't set the bar too high because he doesn't want to set himself up for failure. I wish he showed a little more confidence in his team and be more specific when it comes to saying what he wants to accomplish.

He didn't specify how he sees using these guys or how they will fit in or what he wants to change up from last year. It was like a blah blah blah press release. .
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:02:56 PM »
...talked about recruits filling needs...Hardy is a shooter. Stith is a ball handler.  Omari is a slasher/scorer and Brownlee is as talented as anyone on the roster.

Brownlee can play the 1? Wow, I havent seen him play at all but had him pegged as a Burrell type-an athletic forward. Has anyone seen him play? If so, who would you compare his game to?

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
Nothing too ground breaking and Norm didn't set the bar too high because he doesn't want to set himself up for failure. I wish he showed a little more confidence in his team and be more specific when it comes to saying what he wants to accomplish.

He didn't specify how he sees using these guys or how they will fit in or what he wants to change up from last year. It was like a blah blah blah press release. .

a very unenthusiastic..."I think we maybe able to finish in the top 8"
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:27 AM »

Didn't you have sound in your library, or did you and Scotch ( bb_fan) watch it together?
At 1:47 he said that finishing in the Top Eight is our goal.

Guys, cut the man a little slack. He talked about possibly playing small, talked about specific guys including the new guys. Not a bad interview at all!

I think you need to go home and listen to this a few more times with the speakers on.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 01:43:34 AM »

Didn't you have sound in your library, or did you and Scotch ( bb_fan) watch it together?
At 1:47 he said that finishing in the Top Eight is our goal.

Guys, cut the man a little slack. He talked about possibly playing small, talked about specific guys including the new guys. Not a bad interview at all!

I think you need to go home and listen to this a few more times with the speakers on.

He said everyone's goal is to make it into the top 8. Not exactly going out on a limb.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 01:57:22 AM »
He said everyone's goal is to make it into the top 8. Not exactly going out on a limb.
I may have missed by a second or two, but he said at approximately 1:44
"that is our goal, to finish in the top eight, and to finish as high as we can possibly, and with our experience..."

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 02:47:50 AM »
The Big East is Crazy your goal is to finish in the top 8, it might sound funny, but he is keeping it funky.You finish in the top 8 and there is a good chance your go dancing.Everyone on this site would be happy with that & some surprised with that outcome.

I thought it was a good interview & he thinks  Brownlee is just as good as anyone on this team was the most important comment IMO.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

boo3

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 08:32:02 AM »

Hasn't the bar already been set by Monasch?  They expect to be an NCAA  tourney team.  Let the backpedeling begin.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »
If Brownlee can run the point, I'd let him start. That is what Norm said.
We need a legit Big East pg.

I think Brownlee, Horne, Mason, Burrell and Evans would be very interesting.
5 athletic guys. Kennedy, Lawrence and Hardy could spell Brownlee, Mase and Horne.
And Thomas and Coker could spell Burrell and Evans.

The one thing that concerns me is our depth inside. We're very light up front.

I have little faith that Boothe will return a much better player, but you never know.
He wasn't terrible all the time, but too often he was unable to do much on either side of the ball.

Stithe, I have never seen. I have no idea. Does anyone think he'll be good enough to play?

Poison

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:18:58 AM »

Hasn't the bar already been set by Monasch?  They expect to be an NCAA  tourney team.  Let the backpedeling begin.

NCAA? It would take a miracle to make the NIT.

Monasch should be prepared to choose his words carefully should we fall short of his "NCAA expectations"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »
"that is our goal, to finish in the top eight, and to finish as high as we can possibly, and with our experience..."
When pressed by Zags - "top6? top 8" - w/r/t goals, he said that  was everyone's goal... and that was his goal.  He wasn't trying to make guarantees; no one's goal is to make 12th position.  But if he had to put money on it, I bet even Norm would have guessed 10-13 range last year.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:36:48 AM by peter »

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »

dude, cmon man.......your reaching.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
I don't have a problem with Norm's interview.  He has to be realistic and finishing in the top eight--which was the question posed by Zags--seems reasonable and he didn't shy away from it like year's past. 

It's so much better than "We want to make the postseason" when all but four teams made it.

This is by far the most talented, experienced, and also the deepest squad he's ever had.  If he doesn't get it done with these guys it is time to go. 

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »

Brownlee can play the 1? Wow, I havent seen him play at all but had him pegged as a Burrell type-an athletic forward. Has anyone seen him play? If so, who would you compare his game to?

I read on one of the sites (not sure which one.... scout, etc.) that he played PG in HS. However, once in college, I believe he grew and was moved to the wing.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:04:13 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 02:06:19 PM »

I read on one of the sites (not sure which one.... scout, etc.) that he played PG in HS. However, once in college, I believe he grew and was moved to the wing.

Here is the link. It is a bit sketchy b/c it lists him as a SF (at 6-6 185lbs).... but says his "position rank" is PG.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3148326