Scout.com's top 75 in 2011

• 10 replies
Scout.com's top 75 in 2011
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2011

This'll be a very important class for Norm or the next coach.

sjd8886

Re: Scout.com's top 75 in 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »
as opposed to what? the classes that we didnt need to recruit? remind me again...which classes werent important for norm

boo3

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »
  I think i saw St. John's listed  twice.  Sweet.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »
theres other kids on the list considering st johns. scout doesnt do a very good job of updating the schools of interest lists.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
Tony Wroten, for example; he's mentioned St. John's a number of times...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:43 PM »
Rivals Top 100:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=2288

Here's hoping Maurice Harkless, Jabarie Hinds, Myles Mack, and Mike Taylor (not on the Rivals' rankings) come through. That Nunez kid, as well.

And Joey De La Rosa... Sidiki Johnson... those Cardozo kids...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:42:50 PM by peter »

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
as opposed to what? the classes that we didnt need to recruit? remind me again...which classes werent important for norm
::)

Well, a class that requires as many as seven scholarship players is going to be more critical to a program than one that requires only two for the head coach.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 11:09:08 PM »
::)

Well, a class that requires as many as seven scholarship players is going to be more critical to a program than one that requires only two for the head coach.

and a class that requires as many as 9 scholarship players is going to be even more critical than a year we only need to fill 7   ;)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sjd8886

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 12:25:33 AM »
so the point you're making is, a classes importance is based on how many scholies we need to fill?....see, i believe every class is important bc in every class there are players who could come in and change this program...i was here for all the "yay, lance stephenson, i hope we get him" conversation, but there are lance stephensons in every class who could come in and help turn this program around...but if you only care about filling up scholarships, then you can go be an assistant for norm i guess

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 01:14:43 AM »

so the point you're making is, a classes importance is based on how many scholies we need to fill?....see, i believe every class is important bc in every class there are players who could come in and change this program...i was here for all the "yay, lance stephenson, i hope we get him" conversation, but there are lance stephensons in every class who could come in and help turn this program around...but if you only care about filling up scholarships, then you can go be an assistant for norm i guess
I'm not taking a pay cut to be an assistant at St. John's.
I can see reading comprehension wasn't exactly your strong suit on the SAT.

We both agree that an impact player can meaningfully improve a college basketball program. My logic is that a coaching staff's ability to scout and attract the best possible talent is more important to the well-being of the basketball program in a very large class than it is in a small class. If you disagree with that logic, so be it. I can't waste any more time.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
People like to toss insults int he summer, sheez.  Be easy. 

SJD - obviously, the 2011 class is more important than the other classes, and there's no question of that. 9 players are leaving.  The Red Storm's core players.

That's a bigger recruiting class than he brought in back in 2007.  Remember how that year went? And then last year? Patience is thin and, assuming the goal is fielding a team that wins more than once every 4 years, Norm has to kill on the recruiting trail for 2011. 

Yes, impact guys are needed every year.  But without impact guys in the fold - and the carry-over players going into 2011 will be Malik Stith, Omari Lawrence (who we all hope is a star by then), Quincy Roberts, and whoever we get in 2010 (let's think big and say JayVaughn Pinkston or Devon Collier). I hold out hope that Q will be a solid scorer at that point, but that is one bare roster, possibly without a real big (and bigs take a little longer to make an impact in college, generally), and without even Mase and Geno and Larry Wright, who we all hoped would hold down the team.

So the team in 2011 could be a scuffling 9 win squad, or it could actually have potential and be a .500 team - dependent on the players recruited. This year's team, next year's team, even last year's team could be strongly influenced by an impact player, but a lot of the minutes would have gone to the guys who are the core - Burrell, Evans, Kennedy, Paris, Boothe.

That 2011 class is the next core, like it or not.  Making them very important.  They need multiple bigs; a slashing wing; possibly a shooter; an impact point guard. Moreover, if Norm is still the head coach, he also needs to show that he can keep a lot of top-line NYC talent at home.