CHN's top 144

• 202 replies

Poison

Re: CHN's top 144
« Reply #180 on: October 19, 2009, 03:51:49 PM »
Greg Washington is pretty good.

But the rest of the Hofstra guys can't shoot fish in a barrel.  Their best wins were Manhattan and East Tennessee State.  They won 21 against an iffy schedule, and the whole "Pecora needs an extension" or "Pecora should be coach at St. John's" narrative doesn't hold up to scrutiny, especially based on last year. 

Actually I take that back, slightly - their defense was good.  but they could not score.  Watching their game was watching Charles Jenkins and some dudes from Lefrak City's playgrounds.

According to this analysis, we should smoke them.
Adding Brownlee and Hardy should be instant offense,
and we do have some decent frontcourt guys in Evans,
Burrell and Thomas.

Peter, I hope you're right. I'm really sick of losing to Hofstra.
It's just embarrassing. Jenkins said he chose Hofstra so that he could
play at the city's best school.

That made me physically ill.

My game plan would be to put Horne on Jenkins, and pound the ball inside
to our big fellas. We don't want to get into a 3 point shooting contest with them. That's the one area where they could give us a game.

« Reply #181 on: October 19, 2009, 06:00:14 PM »
We'll spank Hofstra. IONA beat them at Hofstra last year

« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »
Greg Washington is pretty good.

But the rest of the Hofstra guys can't shoot fish in a barrel.  Their best wins were Manhattan and East Tennessee State.  They won 21 against an iffy schedule, and the whole "Pecora needs an extension" or "Pecora should be coach at St. John's" narrative doesn't hold up to scrutiny, especially based on last year. 

Actually I take that back, slightly - their defense was good.  but they could not score.  Watching their game was watching Charles Jenkins and some dudes from Lefrak City's playgrounds.

Peter, I hope you're right. I'm really sick of losing to Hofstra.
It's just embarrassing. Jenkins said he chose Hofstra so that he could play at the city's best school.

That made me physically ill.

I thought that was Nathanal Lester that said it when SJU didnt offer him in 2007.

And per "SCOUT" SJU did not offer Jenkins in 06.
Would make sense  that SJU did not offer either,as neither were
offered by ANY hi major and both were rated 2 star or less
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:34:25 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
Steve, I think you're right.

« Reply #184 on: October 20, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »

« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2009, 07:38:35 AM »
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/xavier-basketball-preview-24-167321

Xavier #24? WTF? St Johns is better than this team

Poison

« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2009, 07:57:50 AM »
Why are we better than Xavier?

« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »
Why are we better than Xavier?

The lone incoming freshman is power forward Jeff Robinson who will be given the opportunity to compete for minutes off the bench.

Key Losses: G C.J. Anderson, F Derrick Brown, G B.J. Raymond

Projected Starting Five:

Terrell Holloway, Sophomore, Guard, 5.5 points per game

Dante Jackson, Junior, Guard, 6.6 points per game

Jordan Crawford, Sophomore, Guard, DNP last season

Jason Love, Senior, Forward, 6.7 points per game

Kenny Frease, Sophomore, Center, 5.4 points per game

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
Marco, that's a good azz team. Kenny Frease is a damned player. He is a tough guy.  And Jordan Crawford threw it on LeBron.  The fact that he's there with some solid ballers and had that chance means he's good.  Holloway needs to be better, but Xavier's gotten to the point where they reload vs. rebuild. 

That's a good program over there.

« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »
Marco, that's a good azz team. Kenny Frease is a damned player. He is a tough guy.  And Jordan Crawford threw it on LeBron.  The fact that he's there with some solid ballers and had that chance means he's good.  Holloway needs to be better, but Xavier's gotten to the point where they reload vs. rebuild. 

That's a good program over there.

Thats a good program in a sht conference.They get slaughtered in the Big East. I dont think they are a top 25 team

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »
As a conference, the A-10 consistently ranks at the bottom of the "big 6" (Big East/ SEC/ Pac-10/ ACC/ Big 10/ Big 12). That's no turd of a conference.  The top teams can hang with the Big East's NIT-level teams easily, and at their best could probably compete with the last couple of entries in the NCAA Tourney from the Big East on a regular basis.

I'm saying: Xavier can hang with the big dogs.

« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
As a conference, the A-10 consistently ranks at the bottom of the "big 6" (Big East/ SEC/ Pac-10/ ACC/ Big 10/ Big 12). That's no turd of a conference.  The top teams can hang with the Big East's NIT-level teams easily, and at their best could probably compete with the last couple of entries in the NCAA Tourney from the Big East on a regular basis.

Think they are better than St Johns this year?

LJSA

« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Frease and Holloway would both start for St. John's.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »

Think they are better than St Johns this year?
As of right now I would predict yes. Three players from St. John's have to develop and the defense has to get better for the Johnnies to be near where Xavier is competing.

Poison

« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2009, 09:51:33 PM »
Xavier is always good. They bear their share of top rated teams.
The A10 isn't nearly as strong as the BE, but who are we to talk coming off a season ending loss to Richmond?

« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2009, 09:52:01 AM »
Dude, you have to get over it. Georgetown has a lot of talent, lost close games, and are poised for a serious bounceback.

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »
Dude, you have to get over it. Georgetown has a lot of talent, lost close games, and are poised for a serious bounceback.

why do you even pay attention to what baldi thinks? he is clueless when it comes to judging talent.

Poison

« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »

why do you even pay attention to what baldi thinks? he is clueless when it comes to judging talent.

A ranking isn't a birthright.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2009, 11:42:03 AM »

Baldi makes some good points about things (and some bad ones!) and makes some salient points about Georgetown - St. John's did beat them twice, and some of those guys didn't quite live up to their clippings (and where was Henry Sims? Wasn't he supposed to also be a great Georgetown center...). 

That said, I fully believe three things w/r/t Georgetown:

1. Talent wins, and they recruited talent, even if they couldn't play as an effective unit. They were tentative at times, like they didn't fully know what the others were doing in the offense.

2. Many of those Hoyas will improve.

3. Teams sometimes simply have their kryptonite. U Conn kept losing to freaking PROVIDENCE under Tim Welsh, up until the year he left (I think it was the 2-3 seasons before, but don't quote me on that).  Sometimes a lesser team just gets in another team's head.  I think last year, St. John's could have beaten GT 4 to 6 out of 10 times - the Hoyas didn't know what to do with the Johnnies. I don't know why. And playing Boothe at the back line in a junk zone defense was actually a smart coaching move - if Monroe gets that deep, ain't no one tall enough to stop him, and he chooses to do his damage from the top of the key.

The Hoyas performance last year was really suspect, from the coaching down to the actual talent.  But they have the talent and JTIII didn't forget how to teach and coach.  So I think they come back, where Baldi doesn't. 

Time - and real games - will tell.