Re: Regular Season Record Prediction Discussion

• 58 replies
Re: Re: Regular Season Record Prediction Discussion
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 11:22:58 PM »
Based on the schedule I am going with 14 wins. There is just enough talent to totally confuse Norm as far as rotations and playing time. I predict this might be the team that finally gets Norm fired. I predict much grumbling from the players specifically Burrell and whoever doesn't get PT /shots from the Kennedy/Horne/Hardy/Lawrence/Mason group.
In short there is not enough talent to win consistently in the BE, but just enough to confuse a confused coach!

If Burrell improves his FG% & Rebounds- he'll get his 28+ minutes.
But last year his FG% was the worst of the frontcourt
& 4.7 rebounds in 28 min/g (in Conf) was not good enough.

Wings- we hope Omari isn't discouraged w 10 min/g, because he'll be a lock to start his Jr year.

With DJ & Mase getting some time @4 in a small lineup, there's enough minutes that
 all could average 20-26 minutes. Whoever is playing best gets the minutes.
 You can't grumble about time if you're not getting it done while you're on the court

Quincy might be the discouraged one.

We need to run and press the whole game, every game. Hopefully Norm realizes that gives him the best chance to get wins and if thats the case, their will be minutes for pretty much everyone

Wow, run huh? We haven't had a fastbreak in 5 years and all of a sudden Norm will unleash his inner Paul Westhead huh? Besides in order to run u need a quality point, wings that can shoot and rebounding. This team does not possess any of those attributes. No Norm will play slow down,ugly ball, becuase that is what he knows. This is why I see the potential disaster with minutes and shots!

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:16 PM »
We Are sju ... you obviously didn't care to watch or pay attention to the games in Canada.  I can't even imagine you're really a fan of the team and instead of rooting for the them would rather just bash Norm.

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 12:26:10 AM »
Based on the schedule I am going with 14 wins. There is just enough talent to totally confuse Norm as far as rotations and playing time. I predict this might be the team that finally gets Norm fired. I predict much grumbling from the players specifically Burrell and whoever doesn't get PT /shots from the Kennedy/Horne/Hardy/Lawrence/Mason group.
In short there is not enough talent to win consistently in the BE, but just enough to confuse a confused coach!

If Burrell improves his FG% & Rebounds- he'll get his 28+ minutes.
But last year his FG% was the worst of the frontcourt
& 4.7 rebounds in 28 min/g (in Conf) was not good enough.

Wings- we hope Omari isn't discouraged w 10 min/g, because he'll be a lock to start his Jr year.

With DJ & Mase getting some time @4 in a small lineup, there's enough minutes that
 all could average 20-26 minutes. Whoever is playing best gets the minutes.
 You can't grumble about time if you're not getting it done while you're on the court

Quincy might be the discouraged one.

We need to run and press the whole game, every game. Hopefully Norm realizes that gives him the best chance to get wins and if thats the case, their will be minutes for pretty much everyone

Wow, run huh? We haven't had a fastbreak in 5 years and all of a sudden Norm will unleash his inner Paul Westhead huh? Besides in order to run u need a quality point, wings that can shoot and rebounding. This team does not possess any of those attributes. No Norm will play slow down,ugly ball, becuase that is what he knows. This is why I see the potential disaster with minutes and shots!

You're a certainly entitled to your opinion. Based on past performance I can't argue with some of your assessments however I do think you are slighted towards one end of the extreme.

I think both Malik's are suited to run an offense. It was obvious that MB3 was hampered dramatically from his injury. I think if he's 100% and had the rhythm of a full season his numbers would have been better. He has his shortcomings but I think we can mask that to a degree with a strong supporting cast.

Mason Jr. and Hardy will help alleviate some of the offensive woes we had last season and hopefully will open up things for others as well.

Norm has more bullets in the gun than he's ever had before and I truly think we can run a more uptempo style of play having more talent and depth on this years team.

14 wins is a little low of a prediction for me. I haven't studied the schedule in detail yet but I don' think we regress from last season at all. Even with the logic of us taking a step forward and the rest of the league taking a step back we should improve on that alone.

Regardless good to have you have back posting. Summer is over!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »
We Are sju ... you obviously didn't care to watch or pay attention to the games in Canada.  I can't even imagine you're really a fan of the team and instead of rooting for the them would rather just bash Norm.

Did the team play Hockey? I would def pay attention just see Sean Evans on skates. NO I did not pay attention to anything that happens in Canada you HOSER! Besides Molson Ice I rarely pay attention to anything that happens in Canada. Canadians do not even pay attention to Canada. But just so I understand you, you are thinking becuase the team played well in Canada in the Summer that that will translate over to the BE season? Is that what you are going for?

Tha Kid

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 07:20:47 PM »

Suggesting wasju is not a fan bc he did not follow the team in canada is absurd. Who the f cares?  Its preseason against teams we never face again and countsfor nothing. I woiuldnt have even cared if we lost bc sometimes in preseason coaches mix lineups and let the scrubs play - more to find out about the team than the scoreboard.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 09:54:08 PM »

Suggesting wasju is not a fan bc he did not follow the team in canada is absurd. Who the f cares?  Its preseason against teams we never face again and countsfor nothing. I woiuldnt have even cared if we lost bc sometimes in preseason coaches mix lineups and let the scrubs play - more to find out about the team than the scoreboard.

I don't want to speak for scooby....but I will anyway...I think it had more to do with the fact that wasju finds a way to bash Norm no matter the topic.

Certainly its his right...but I wish wasju was half as funny as he seems to think he is.  :D

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »

I don't want to speak for scooby....but I will anyway...I think it had more to do with the fact that wasju finds a way to bash Norm no matter the topic.

Certainly its his right...but I wish wasju was half as funny as he seems to think he is.  :D
I don't want to speak for WASJU, but that guy is AWESOME and he cares even less about what u and scrappy doo thinks than he does what the team did in Canada during there summer break! Unless they visited one of the fine Gentlemen's establishments in Toronto, then WASJU would be interested. Norm bashing is pretty easy as he somehow remains gainfully employed in a profession that he simply has NO aptitude for. So rather than complain as most do about the state of a program i grew up watching i choose to find humor in Norm's ineptitude. It is funny watching him coach in much the same way it is funny watching a newborn try to figure out what his arms an legs are for.
For the record WASJU also finds it funny that some silly people keep expecting Norm to turn into something he is not based on something that happened in the summer in Canada despite 5 years of crap that tells the real story. I predict 14 wins Maybe they win a few more but either way they will certainly not run and press and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional, stupid or both! 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:44:08 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 10:58:19 PM »
Everyone here has a different outlook and opinion and thats what keeps us coming back and discussing. If we all agreed on everything then there would be nothing to talk about. I just want to remind you guys to keep it civil and respect one another's opinions even if you might disagree. Keep focused on the facts and steer away from name calling. Thanks guys...ding ding ding...lets get it on! Round 2 Scooby Doo vs WASJU
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 12:44:17 AM »
welcome back wasju as always u have me laughing at my computer. my girl is looking at me like im crazy

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »
welcome back wasju as always u have me laughing at my computer. my girl is looking at me like im crazy

Thanks Kob.
What are your thoughts? Do you see this team attempting to run and press DURING THE REAL SEASON? Nothing in the last 5 years watching the coach or team play would make me believe this is a possiblity. Coaches for the most part are creatures of habit and coach the way they know and like regardless of personal. In football Bill Parcells coached every team the same way, running the ball and Defense. In basketball running coaches run and slow it down coaches slow it down.
The thing that bothers me most about Norm is not the awful won/loss record but the horrific style of play. Maybe we win more than my predicted 14 wins, but the Showtime Lakers we will not resemble! Our games will be in the 60's!
Thoughts Kob?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:30:19 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »
What are your thoughts? Do you see this team attempting to run and press DURING THE REAL SEASON?

That's a loaded question since in your previous post you said anyone who thinks that they will run and press is delusional, stupid or both ;)

Personally I agree with you...we may run a little more but I don't see any 40 minutes of hell coming on.

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 09:41:23 AM »
Norm hasnt had this deep of a team. He has a backup PG, supposedly a shooter in Hardy and certainly more than a few athletes and guyts that get their own shot off. I think this is the year

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 09:51:01 AM »
What are your thoughts? Do you see this team attempting to run and press DURING THE REAL SEASON?

That's a loaded question since in your previous post you said anyone who thinks that they will run and press is delusional, stupid or both ;)

Personally I agree with you...we may run a little more but I don't see any 40 minutes of hell coming on.

Since Kob has an in with the program, I would take his opinion a little more seriously than the rest of the peanut gallery on these sites. But in the end, no matter what anyone says, IMO I just can't see Norm doing a 180 on what he has done for the past 5 years.
Just for the record if you agree with me, not sure why you would call me out? The reason I predicted 14 wins is becuase if this team DOES NOT run and press(which we agree it won't for the most part), then the team is too deep and talented to play the same slow down ugly style Norm prefers. To me this will lead to problems with shots, rotations and playing time and ultimately a cluster#$%^ season.
Lastly as far as me being funny, the only person I try to amuse is myself. Besides there is no accounting for taste as millions of Germans think David Hasselhoff can sing and people pay money to watch Gallagher hit waterMullins with a sledgehammer! 

Poison

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »
Norm hasnt had this deep of a team. He has a backup PG, supposedly a shooter in Hardy and certainly more than a few athletes and guyts that get their own shot off. I think this is the year

What this team really lacked was the ability to score in a half court set.
That requires players who can create, and also a coach who calls the right play.

We've had neither. I'm hoping that Hardy and Lawrence can provide that creativity.

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47:58 AM »

What this team really lacked was the ability to score in a half court set.
That requires players who can create, and also a coach who calls the right play.

We've had neither. I'm hoping that Hardy and Lawrence can provide that creativity.

Mason is going to play 30 minutes at least! I will bet ANYONE on this. Going to be interesting to see how many minutes Hardy/Lawrence and to a lesser degree Kennedy and Horne are going to get. I predict Norm shuttles them in and out with no real reasoning and therefore none of them will get a feel for the game or enough shots. Excluding fall away jumper jr of course. 

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »
Since Kob has an in with the program, I would take his opinion a little more seriously than the rest of the peanut gallery on these sites. But in the end, no matter what anyone says, IMO I just can't see Norm doing a 180 on what he has done for the past 5 years.
Just for the record if you agree with me, not sure why you would call me out? The reason I predicted 14 wins is becuase if this team DOES NOT run and press(which we agree it won't for the most part), then the team is too deep and talented to play the same slow down ugly style Norm prefers. To me this will lead to problems with shots, rotations and playing time and ultimately a cluster#$%^ season.
Lastly as far as me being funny, the only person I try to amuse is myself. Besides there is no accounting for taste as millions of Germans think David Hasselhoff can sing and people pay money to watch Gallagher hit waterMullins with a sledgehammer!

Call you out?  All I said is you take every chance to bash Norm...am I wrong?

I don't agree with 14 wins but I don't think Norm is all of a sudden gonna turn this team into a run and gun team.  He has stated that was his plan in previous seasons and we haven't so I don't expect it to change now. 

Anyway I still think we are limited on offense.  Not compared to prior year teams but compared to other teams in the Big East.  The more you speed up the game...the more possessions teams get which in turn is usually not good for a team that is limited offensively and commits turnovers.

Hopefully with Hardy and Horne and a resurgent Burrell that changes somewhat this year.  I do think we need to play tough half court D and run on offense when we can ...for easy baskets.

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »

Based on their schedule, I'm going to go ahead and predict an 18-12 season with a possible NIT appearance.  At the end of the day, I just cannot see this team being .500 or over in Big East play.  Do I think we have talent?  Yes.  Do I think we have a coach who will utilize that talent to its potential?  No.

That being said, I hope Norm makes me look like an ass and proves me wrong.  Time will tell.

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
It seems like everyone has gotten a little pessimistic. Almost everyone has us winning 20 (including Big East Tournament games) and yet basically nobody has us in the NCAA tournament. When is the last time a Big East team was .500 in conference with 20 wins and did not make the tournament? Most people have us at this- shouldn't this put us in?
For what it worth I say:

Out of Conference Record: 10-2
Conference Record: 9-9 (Big East Tourn 1-1)
Post Season Tournaments Entered: NCAA 1-1
Overall Record (including tournaments): 21-13

I think we have a chance to be better than this, but I agree with most people that this is fairly realistic. My main point is doesn't this put us dancing?

Well last year Providence was 19-13 on selection Sunday, 10-8 in the BE and didn't make the dance. But since then no one has done it.  In 08 Syracuse was 19-13, 9-9, in 07 Syracuse was 22-10 and 10-6, WVU 22-9 and 9-7, and DePaul 18-13 and 9-7.

It's not just about record but also about who you beat.  STJ could easily be 20-12 on selection Sunday like you have there yet with no quality road wins and best wins at home against teams like Pitt and Cincy (assuming Lance doesn't get qualified).  I don't think Temple and UGA are going to raise the RPI too much.

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
It seems like everyone has gotten a little pessimistic. Almost everyone has us winning 20 (including Big East Tournament games) and yet basically nobody has us in the NCAA tournament. When is the last time a Big East team was .500 in conference with 20 wins and did not make the tournament? Most people have us at this- shouldn't this put us in?
For what it worth I say:

I think we have a chance to be better than this, but I agree with most people that this is fairly realistic. My main point is doesn't this put us dancing?

Well last year Providence was 19-13 on selection Sunday, 10-8 in the BE and didn't make the dance. But since then no one has done it.  In 08 Syracuse was 19-13, 9-9, in 07 Syracuse was 22-10 and 10-6, WVU 22-9 and 9-7, and DePaul 18-13 and 9-7.

It's not just about record but also about who you beat.  STJ could easily be 20-12 on selection Sunday like you have there yet with no quality road wins and best wins at home against teams like Pitt and Cincy (assuming Lance doesn't get qualified).  I don't think Temple and UGA are going to raise the RPI too much.

IMO beating Siena would be a quality win, a St Johns win would knock them out of the the top 25 rankings

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 02:50:19 PM »
For what it worth I say:

IMO beating Siena would be a quality win, a St Johns win would knock them out of the the top 25 rankings

Siena, I assume, would be one of the two OOC losses in the 10-2 record.  No other quality teams in there.  Davidson is down for obvious reasons, Cornell might be good for an Ivy but that's not saying much and Hofstra wouldn't qualify as a quality win either.