Re: Regular Season Record Prediction Discussion

• 58 replies
Re: Regular Season Record Prediction Discussion
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »
pretty much everyone predicting 20 wins. ;D  Gotta love how the optimism returns during the offseason...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:40:40 PM by Dave »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

Re: Re: Regular Season Record Prediction Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:25:16 AM »
pretty much everyone predicting 20 wins. ;D  Gotta love how the optimism returns during the offseason...

We won 16 last year with no bench. 20 isn't so crazy, and quite possibly just a small improvement depending on whether or not we use the CBI tourney to grab of couple of cheap wins.

We could go 10-2 non conference, 8-10 in conference, lose in the BE first round, and win two in the CBI. That's what I expect.

We're better than last year if only because we're much deeper. Hardy, Brownlee, Stith and Lawrence are all as good as out good players, so we won't run out of steam as easily, and as often, and I think that's worth a 4 win improvement.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
Out of Conference Record: 10-2

Conference Record: 8-10

Post Season Tournaments Entered: BET 0-1, NIT (maybe): 1-1

Overall Record (including tournaments): 19-13

pmg, 4 non-con losses?  who do you have them losing to?  I think Long Island will be tough (they've been trouble the past 2 years) and Cornell will probably beat Davidson and with Louis Dale... they could pose a threat in the championship game.

Long Island is going to be tough? Did they find another year of eligibility for Charles Jones and Richie Parker?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »

pmg, 4 non-con losses?  who do you have them losing to?  I think Long Island will be tough (they've been trouble the past 2 years) and Cornell will probably beat Davidson and with Louis Dale... they could pose a threat in the championship game.

Long Island is going to be tough? Did they find another year of eligibility for Charles Jones and Richie Parker?
  :D

2 years ago, St. John's had smoked Sacred Heart and Fairleigh Ridiculous/ Dickinson. But LIU, just as weak as those two teams, kept their deficit at 10 until the last 2 or so minutes, with no size on their team.

Last year, a more experienced St. John's team needed a second half run to get separation from the Blackbirds in the opener.  Boothe and Burrell turn the ball over a lot, Mase and Paris put up stinker performances, no one tries to stop Kyle Johnson, the one guy who seems to be able to get his shot on LIU.

Some teams have the crap squad that seems to get their number, and I think LIU might be it.  They don't turn the ball over much and are very guard-oriented; I think a team that's good at protecting the ball and has guards who can get free will hurt St. John's this year (like the other years).  If the defense is going to be predicated on trapping and guard pressure, but none of the guards are spectacular (yet) at creating turnovers, AND our point guard has a disturbing penchant for coughing up the rock, the team will struggle.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »

:D

2 years ago, St. John's had smoked Sacred Heart and Fairleigh Ridiculous/ Dickinson. But LIU, just as weak as those two teams, kept their deficit at 10 until the last 2 or so minutes, with no size on their team.

Last year, a more experienced St. John's team needed a second half run to get separation from the Blackbirds in the opener.  Boothe and Burrell turn the ball over a lot, Mase and Paris put up stinker performances, no one tries to stop Kyle Johnson, the one guy who seems to be able to get his shot on LIU.

Some teams have the crap squad that seems to get their number, and I think LIU might be it.  They don't turn the ball over much and are very guard-oriented; I think a team that's good at protecting the ball and has guards who can get free will hurt St. John's this year (like the other years).  If the defense is going to be predicated on trapping and guard pressure, but none of the guards are spectacular (yet) at creating turnovers, AND our point guard has a disturbing penchant for coughing up the rock, the team will struggle.

I think we beat them by 20+ this year.

This year, we can really afford to wear down teams with our defense.
In order to be a good team, we have to first be good at something.

It looks to me like it's going to have to be defense.

LIU might be a better team and FDU and SC, but Paris Horne is going to lock up Kyle Johnson, and Evans/Burrell/Brownlee are going to score at will inside.

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »
Siena, Duke, Georgia and they will drop to either Fordham or Temple

Maybe they lose three
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:46:34 PM by pmg911 »

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »

Maybe they lose three

Fordham  :D  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Poison

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »

Maybe they lose three

Who exactly on Fordham is going to score points?
Our B team could beat them, and bad.

Final score: SJU 85. Fordham 50.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:55:20 PM by Poison »

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »

Maybe they lose three

Like I said in the original post, I hope I am wrong but I have zero faith in Norm.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »

Maybe they lose three

Like I said in the original post, I hope I am wrong but I have zero faith in Norm.

Norm has not shown us any reason to believe that he's going to turn this around. But he's not the worst coach in NYC. That guy coaches Fordham.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »

Maybe they lose three
I think Norm loses to teams that are better than St. John's. That's a lot of teams (though Richmond? Geez).  That said, I agree about Duke, I think Siena is gonna miss Hasbrouck bad.  I think maybe they lose to Georgia, and/or someone in the Holiday tournament - it's a minefield of less-sexy names.  Temple could be tough.

Fordham lost like 3 guys to transfer... they have Jio Fontan and some crap. I really want Fordham to not suck, but they're nearing NJIT-bad.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 04:15:13 PM »

Maybe they lose three
I think Norm loses to teams that are better than St. John's. That's a lot of teams (though Richmond? Geez).  That said, I agree about Duke, I think Siena is gonna miss Hasbrouck bad.  I think maybe they lose to Georgia, and/or someone in the Holiday tournament - it's a minefield of less-sexy names.  Temple could be tough.

Fordham lost like 3 guys to transfer... they have Jio Fontan and some crap. I really want Fordham to not suck, but they're nearing NJIT-bad.

They are a Jio Fontan ankle sprain away from being NJIT bad.
Do they have any talent at all outside of him?

We won 9 games with a pretty damn good player in Hill.
Against teams with depth, it was over quick.

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »

Maybe they lose three

Georgia?  They were awful last year, lost their best player, and bring in nobody.  Temple was at least good, so even though they lost their all world player and brought in nobody that game should be more competitive.  Also UGA is at "home", Temple on the road.  I'll stick by my 10-2 OOC for now.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 05:34:25 PM »

Maybe they lose three

Georgia?  They were awful last year, lost their best player, and bring in nobody.  Temple was at least good, so even though they lost their all world player and brought in nobody that game should be more competitive.  Also UGA is at "home", Temple on the road.  I'll stick by my 10-2 OOC for now.
I'm hoping they win!

I just think Dennis Felton is a worse coach than our current guy; Mark Fox can win some games for Georgia on scheme and teaching alone.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 01:12:10 AM »
Remember that Temple loses Christmas. He carried the Owls.

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 12:28:49 PM »
Remember that Temple loses Christmas. He carried the Owls.

Correct and UGA loses Woodberry who was their leader.  Neither team brought in any recruits of consequence either.

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »
Based on the schedule I am going with 14 wins. There is just enough talent to totally confuse Norm as far as rotations and playing time. I predict this might be the team that finally gets Norm fired. I predict much grumbling from the players specifically Burrell and whoever doesn't get PT /shots from the Kennedy/Horne/Hardy/Lawrence/Mason group.
In short there is not enough talent to win consistently in the BE, but just enough to confuse a confused coach!

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 05:07:36 PM »
Based on the schedule I am going with 14 wins. There is just enough talent to totally confuse Norm as far as rotations and playing time. I predict this might be the team that finally gets Norm fired. I predict much grumbling from the players specifically Burrell and whoever doesn't get PT /shots from the Kennedy/Horne/Hardy/Lawrence/Mason group.
In short there is not enough talent to win consistently in the BE, but just enough to confuse a confused coach!

If Burrell improves his FG% & Rebounds- he'll get his 28+ minutes.
But last year his FG% was the worst of the frontcourt
& 4.7 rebounds in 28 min/g (in Conf) was not good enough.

Wings- we hope Omari isn't discouraged w 10 min/g, because he'll be a lock to start his Jr year.

With DJ & Mase getting some time @4 in a small lineup, there's enough minutes that
 all could average 20-26 minutes. Whoever is playing best gets the minutes.
 You can't grumble about time if you're not getting it done while you're on the court

Quincy might be the discouraged one.
Molloy '71

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 05:11:25 PM »

If Burrell improves his FG% & Rebounds- he'll get his 28+ minutes.
But last year his FG% was the worst of the frontcourt
& 4.7 rebounds in 28 min/g (in Conf) was not good enough.

Wings- we hope Omari isn't discouraged w 10 min/g, because he'll be a lock to start his Jr year.

With DJ & Mase getting some time @4 in a small lineup, there's enough minutes that
 all could average 20-26 minutes. Whoever is playing best gets the minutes.
 You can't grumble about time if you're not getting it done while you're on the court

Quincy might be the discouraged one.

We need to run and press the whole game, every game. Hopefully Norm realizes that gives him the best chance to get wins and if thats the case, their will be minutes for pretty much everyone

kob24

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
nah i was just speaking with justin he thinks this team is just as good as his bridgeton team and long island lightning team. playing time wont bother him. it never has. and fordham isnt bad they have the kid from jersey i cant think of his name. he used to play with gio and he is tuff. but st.johns will win. i dont think that they are in the position to smack teams around. but they are in the position to beat teams.