Fred Quartelbaum a possible candidate for Army job

• 54 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Fred Quartelbaum a possible candidate for Army job
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:30:23 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4500505&name=katz_andy

Anderson is attempting to move swiftly to replace Crews and met in Chicago on Thursday with Tulsa associate head coach Dave Cason, according to multiple sources. Anderson wouldn't confirm the meeting Thursday.

Anderson has also reached out to St. John's assistant coach Fred Quartlebaum, who coached at the Naval Academy, Arizona State associate head coach Dedrique Taylor and former Army player and Duke director of basketball operations Chris Spatola, the son-in-law of Army grad and Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Re: Fred Quartelbaum a possible candidate for Army job
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 10:33:07 AM »
I don't see him leaving for this job. I think he'd wait for a better opportunity if he were to jump ship.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »
I don't see him leaving for this job. I think he'd wait for a better opportunity if he were to jump ship.

I agree.

He must be watching the developments at Rose Hill very carefully.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 02:20:29 PM »
a better opportunity?  i didn't know the lakers job was opening up.

a head coaching job is a head coaching job.  right now q is tied in to the failure of the norm error.

this means he'd be lucky to get more than a token interview.  he'd be luckier that FH wouldn't fire him for looking for a better opportunity.

LJSA

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »

I agree.

He must be watching the developments at Rose Hill very carefully.

What are the chances Fordham would look in his direction? They'd probably need a head coach with experience after the current debacle. Then again, smaller schools are probably less married to the "home run" idea than a big-time program.

It would be a huge kick to the nuggets if Q got the Fordham job and outrecruited us for the best of the leftover locals.

boo3

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
   would it even matter if he left?  would anyone care?

LJSA

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »

It matters a lot depending on whether: a) Norm hires a guy who can actually coach, and actually listens to the guy's suggestions; or b) hires a guy that the kids love so much that they won't care that Norm is coach.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:26:41 PM »

It matters a lot depending on whether: a) Norm hires a guy who can actually coach, and actually listens to the guy's suggestions; or b) hires a guy that the kids love so much that they won't care that Norm is coach.

What i really meant, i guess, was will Q be missed if he were to leave? 
   Norm would never hire a better coach than himself(insert joke here), he would write is own ticket out of here. Also,  just me asking,  is there a top school out there who has a inept coach, but top 50 recruits flock to because they like one of his assistants?

LJSA

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 01:42:54 AM »
Also,  just me asking,  is there a top school out there who has a inept coach, but top 50 recruits flock to because they like one of his assistants?

Wake Forest

LJSA

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 01:47:18 AM »
Actually, scratch that. Rivals lists their top 2009 recruit as #52. But I was close.

boo3

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 07:08:43 AM »
  Thats funny.  Thats a guy (Hewitt) that everyone wanted here at one point. Figures.  Who's is top dog assistant?

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 10:00:46 AM »
Why WOULDN'T Coach Q take that job if it were offered to him?  It would likely pay more, and he would have more years of job security there than he does under Norm here. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 10:20:19 AM »
Why WOULDN'T Coach Q take that job if it were offered to him?  It would likely pay more, and he would have more years of job security there than he does under Norm here.

No doubt.
Plus he dont got to move the fams.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

gonzalo

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/09/27/yacoubou-to-visit-kentucky-nova/

Sources say St. John’s assistant Fred Quartlebaum is the favorite to get the Army job.

LJSA

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 01:35:55 AM »
The more I think about it, it really is a no-lose situation for Q. I assume he'd get a five year deal. If he completely sucks and is fired or not renewed, he goes back to being a recruiting assistant somewhere. Despite our troubles, he is still respected and well liked. Someone would still hire him even after a complete flop.

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »
A lil late in the game to replace Q wit a quailty candidate.
Coachin carousel is in April and May, not Sept/Oct.
Contracts is all signed at all the schools. Locked in, yo.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »
The more I think about it, it really is a no-lose situation for Q. I assume he'd get a five year deal. If he completely sucks and is fired or not renewed, he goes back to being a recruiting assistant somewhere. Despite our troubles, he is still respected and well liked. Someone would still hire him even after a complete flop.

This is true very true.

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
Norm would be in a bit of a tough situation here if Q were to leave.  As choz said, very tough to find a qualified assistant in October, and as it is Q is really their only qualified Big East assistant on  staff.  The best move would probably be to move Oz up to a fulltime assistant job and then hire another AAU coach to take Oz's position.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 01:35:04 PM »
Anyone know if Oz is a good teacher, especially of big men?  Q's responsibility is the forwards, as I remember it, and our team needs more coaching and development along with new recruits. Norm is the grinding recruiter; it's the player development and x's and o's that this team needs to improve on that will get those recruits to sign.

More wins = better recruits.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:35:36 PM by peter »

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »
Norm would be in a bit of a tough situation here if Q were to leave.  As choz said, very tough to find a qualified assistant in October, and as it is Q is really their only qualified Big East assistant on  staff.  The best move would probably be to move Oz up to a fulltime assistant job and then hire another AAU coach to take Oz's position.

Hmm I'm not sure if they would do that though. I'm not sure whats more valuable to the program. Having Oz as an administrative assistant or as an assistant coach.