Fred Quartelbaum a possible candidate for Army job

• 54 replies

LJSA

Re: Fred Quartelbaum a possible candidate for Army job
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
If Q leaves, the worst thing Norm can do is panic and rush into a blah hire. Give a local unemployed coach with D1 experience a one-year deal. What's Bob Leckie up to? Seems like the perfect time for Cluess to me, but not sure we'd ask/he'd leave.

LJSA

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 05:48:50 PM »
Also, I'd urge Q to take Casey with him. I'd love to bring in two new guys--presuming they were the right guys.

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »
Norm would be in a bit of a tough situation here if Q were to leave.  As choz said, very tough to find a qualified assistant in October, and as it is Q is really their only qualified Big East assistant on  staff.  The best move would probably be to move Oz up to a fulltime assistant job and then hire another AAU coach to take Oz's position.

Hmm I'm not sure if they would do that though. I'm not sure whats more valuable to the program. Having Oz as an administrative assistant or as an assistant coach.

I know, but I just don't know who else they would be able to get at this point. 

As for Leckie, he's going to be an assistant at Bishop Loughlin HS in Brooklyn this year.

As for Cluess, it's definitely an interesting proposition, but I don't know if he would go for an assistantship to a coach very much on the hot seat.  He would be leaving a very secure job for a very insecure job.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »
There are solid low and mid-major coaches around the country that would jump at the opportunity to be a Big East assistant coach-even to this loser. In this mercenary business, even if Monasch realizes that he's been wasting time on Norm Roberts and finally cans his rearend in March or April, the newly hired assistant can easily demonstrate in his next job interview that it was bad before he ever got to Queens. Hell, Dermon Player was part of a staff that admitted to paying at least one player and he was able to relatively quickly get another BE assistant's gig. Unless he's totally desperate, the only three AAU coaches/operators that I'd hire among the local yokels are Mo Hicks, who I doubt STJ can afford, Jimmy Salmon, ditto, and Sandy Pyonin, a very competent NJ hs/AAU coach and trainer who has worked with 31 current and former NBA players, including Harrington and Foye. If he wants to hire an AAU coach for a quick fix, he ought to look outside this region and for coaches that can definitely deliver on quality, early pledges for the 2011 class.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:57:40 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »
Is World Wide Wes available?

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 12:12:54 AM »
Don't know if Sandy is really interested in becoming an assistant coach on this level.  He's more of a trainer type. 

And Sleaveless, I disagree with you a bit here.  Yes there are some coaches in lower positions that would take an assistants job at St. John's normally, but why would someone uproot and move to a position when there is a possibility (and maybe a strong one) that the staff would be let go after the season? 

Obviously this talk is a bit premature, still gotta wait to see if a) Q gets offered the job and b) if he takes it.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 12:28:24 AM »
Don't know if Sandy is really interested in becoming an assistant coach on this level.  He's more of a trainer type. 

And Sleaveless, I disagree with you a bit here.  Yes there are some coaches in lower positions that would take an assistants job at St. John's normally, but why would someone uproot and move to a position when there is a possibility (and maybe a strong one) that the staff would be let go after the season? 

Obviously this talk is a bit premature, still gotta wait to see if a) Q gets offered the job and b) if he takes it.

That's what message boards are for...I don't see how Cluess or someone like him doesn't take the opportunity if offered.  It at least warrants serious consideration from a D2 coach.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »

That's what message boards are for...I don't see how Cluess or someone like him doesn't take the opportunity if offered.  It at least warrants serious consideration from a D2 coach.

Cause he could be unemploy this time next year if he do. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 07:11:44 PM »

Sandy's got a lot better understanding of offensive sets than a lot of the AAU "coaches" that get employed for a year or two by head coaches desperate to get one or two kids for a program. If you know him, you know he's as gung ho and active as he ever has been. Although he's certainly proud to be Jewish, I don't foresee any issue with coaching at a local Catholic university.

College coaching is a mercenary business, particularly for young coaches. Travel and uprooting are necessary causalities of the profession. I guarantee you that Coach Roberts would get plenty of resumes sent to him from all over the country if the position opened up. There are always hungry, young coaches, who would love to move up the ladder. There is little incentive for a young, single top assistant at a low or mid-major school not to immediately fax over his resume.

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 07:48:04 PM »

Cause he could be unemploy this time next year if he do.

he's in the wrong profession if he wants job security
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 07:57:34 PM »

Sandy's got a lot better understanding of offensive sets than a lot of the AAU "coaches" that get employed for a year or two by head coaches desperate to get one or two kids for a program. If you know him, you know he's as gung ho and active as he ever has been. Although he's certainly proud to be Jewish, I don't foresee any issue with coaching at a local Catholic university.

College coaching is a mercenary business, particularly for young coaches. Travel and uprooting are necessary causalities of the profession. I guarantee you that Coach Roberts would get plenty of resumes sent to him from all over the country if the position opened up. There are always hungry, young coaches, who would love to move up the ladder. There is little incentive for a young, single top assistant at a low or mid-major school not to immediately fax over his resume.

Not doubting Sandy's credentials.  I would certainly take him at SJU.  He still trains Kyrie Irving, so it could possibly work us into the game for Kyrie if we brought Sandy. 

I just think that, at this point, that qualified coaches are  already established at a school, and a) uprooting this late in the game could be viewed as ditching a program 2 weeks before the season starts and wouldn't be a good PR move for that coach and b) while no coaching job is completely secure, this one is VERY insecure.  Also, SJU is one of the lower paying jobs in the Big East plus the high cost of living here isn't enticing.  SJU wouldn't cough up a lot of money for a rent-a-assistant this late in the game knowing the staff could only be around until March.

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »
Who is Sandy?  If you guys are nominating your buddies, let us know who he is...and you can no longer criticize Norm for hiring Braica!  ;D

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »

Not doubting Sandy's credentials.  I would certainly take him at SJU.  He still trains Kyrie Irving, so it could possibly work us into the game for Kyrie if we brought Sandy. 

I just think that, at this point, that qualified coaches are  already established at a school, and a) uprooting this late in the game could be viewed as ditching a program 2 weeks before the season starts and wouldn't be a good PR move for that coach and b) while no coaching job is completely secure, this one is VERY insecure.  Also, SJU is one of the lower paying jobs in the Big East plus the high cost of living here isn't enticing.  SJU wouldn't cough up a lot of money for a rent-a-assistant this late in the game knowing the staff could only be around until March.

1) Despite the upcoming A&M trip, Kyrie is off of the market.
2a) This isn't a naive business. Top assistants at low-major programs try to climb the ladder. Whether the opportunity presents itself in March, July, or late September, they and their agents have a responsibility to look into it.  Norm might be able to get a JuCo coach as well.
2b) Everyone is aware of the low pay/high COLA angle, but the assistant can still use STJ for the stepping stone job that the AD wants to ensure that it is. If they show even a modicum of improvement, Monasch will very likely keep Roberts in "fairness to his seniors." The current and prospective assistants should all work with their agents to prepare for the likely dismissal in two-three years.

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 08:53:07 PM »
Who is Sandy?  If you guys are nominating your buddies, let us know who he is...and you can no longer criticize Norm for hiring Braica!  ;D
Sandy Pyonin. He coaches in hs, runs NJ Roadrunners, and he's trained 31 current and former NBA players, including Harrington and Foye. Personally, unless one's desperate, I wouldn't go near the AAU coaches, but Hicks and Pyonin would be the two I'd look at first among the locals. They need to expand their range beyond just the local fishbowl.

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 09:16:39 PM »
NTSG, where ya been all summer? Youve been missed, you bring alot to the table

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »

yea you took off all of Aug/Sep
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
Thanks, Marco.
Traveling a lot and business mostly

How's Kevin Willard and Iona looking this season?

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2009, 09:24:09 PM »
Thanks, Marco.
Traveling a lot and business mostly

How's Kevin Willard and Iona looking this season?

Good to have ya back.

IONA will be young, alot of newcomers. A couple from Jersey,Kyle Smyth,Keon Williams(both redshirts). Also got a shooter whom they call the Brit Bomber-Ben Mockford. The PG Scott Machado is a stud. After Siena and Niagara-the MAAC will be a free for all

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 01:20:25 AM »
Mo Hicks almost certainly wouldn't take the job. It would very likely be a pay cut for him. 

Sandy is a possibility, but not sure what his mindset is in terms of wanting to be a college coach.

LJSA

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »
Mo Hicks almost certainly wouldn't take the job. It would very likely be a pay cut for him. 

Sandy is a possibility, but not sure what his mindset is in terms of wanting to be a college coach.

Where does all Mo's money come from? Not Rice, I assume. He really makes that much from AAU? I think most of us are in the wrong line of work if that's the case.