BIG EAST MEDIA DAY

• 23 replies
BIG EAST MEDIA DAY
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/10/21/big-east-media-day-2009-2010/

Here are some early tidbits…

11:40 AM: The Louisville contingent has not even entered the room yet, but their press table has already drawn a large crowd of media eagerly awaiting their entrance.

10:10 AM: Some thoughts being kicked around by the media as they wait for things to get started in about 15 minutes:

- Pitt is not used to being picked this low. They are #9 in the coaches poll and were the same in a conference media poll released yesterday.

- Louisville’s success will be ultimately determined by their guard play.

- several writers expect Alex Oriakhito be a factor inside for UConn right out of the gate come conference time.

9:45 AM: Here is the 2009-2010 prodecited order of finish in the Big East, per the conference coaches:

1) Villanova
2) West Virginia
3) Connecticut
4) Louisville
5) Georgetown
6) Syracuse
7) Cincinnati
8] Notre Dame
9) Pittsburgh
10) Seton Hall
11) St. John’s
12) Marquette
13) Providence
14) South Florida
15) Rutgers
16) DePaul

9:40 AM: Here is the coaches 1st team all-conference preseason picks in the Big East:

1st team: Deonta Vaughn, Greg Monroe, Scottie Reynolds, Lazar Hayward and Da’Sean Butler (with Harangody as POY – see below)

2nd team: Jerome Dyson, Kemba Walker, Samardo Samuels, Jeremy Hazell, Dominique Jones and Devin Ebanks

Honroable Mention: Arinze Onuaku and Stanley Robinson

9:30 AM: It comes as little surprise that the coaches have chose Luke Harangody of Notre Dame as the preseason Big East Player of the Year. Cincinnati freshman Lance Stephenson, who is still awaiting clearance from the NCAA on his amateur status, was named the conference’s preseason Freshman of the Year.

Poison

Re: BIG EAST MEDIA DAY
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:45:49 PM »
Hayward first team? I don't believe any of us would have placed him there.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:54:12 PM »

I don't doubt it. He is a rich DJ Kennedy in terms of total stat production. Also he should score a ton more without the James, Matthews, and McNeal.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »

I don't doubt it. He is a rich DJ Kennedy in terms of total stat production. Also he should score a ton more without the James, Matthews, and McNeal.

The defense can focus on him now with those 3 gone

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
No Wes Johnson? Also my sleeper  rookie would be Peyton Siva of Louisville

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
I guess the Big East Coaching community thinks Stanley Robinson is more than a complimentary player.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »

11:40 AM: The Louisville contingent has not even entered the room yet, but their press table has already drawn a large crowd of media eagerly awaiting their entrance.

10:10 AM: Some thoughts being kicked around by the media as they wait for things to get started in about 15 minutes:

- Pitt is not used to being picked this low. They are #9 in the coaches poll and were the same in a conference media poll released yesterday.

- several writers expect Alex Oriakhito be a factor inside for UConn right out of the gate come conference time.

9:45 AM: Here is the 2009-2010 prodecited order of finish in the Big East, per the conference coaches:

1) Villanova
2) West Virginia
3) Connecticut
4) Louisville
5) Georgetown
6) Syracuse
7) Cincinnati
8] Notre Dame
9) Pittsburgh
10) Seton Hall
11) St. John’s
12) Marquette
13) Providence
14) South Florida
15) Rutgers
16) DePaul

9:40 AM: Here is the coaches 1st team all-conference preseason picks in the Big East:

1st team: Deonta Vaughn, Greg Monroe, Scottie Reynolds, Lazar Hayward and Da’Sean Butler (with Harangody as POY – see below)

2nd team: Jerome Dyson, Kemba Walker, Samardo Samuels, Jeremy Hazell, Dominique Jones and Devin Ebanks

9:30 AM: It comes as little surprise that the coaches have chose Luke Harangody of Notre Dame as the preseason Big East Player of the Year. Cincinnati freshman Lance Stephenson, who is still awaiting clearance from the NCAA on his amateur status, was named the conference’s preseason Freshman of the Year.

Bluto, just out of curiosity, if you switched Jay Wright and Norm as coaches, what would the records be?
I'd say SJU would be a bubble team and so would Nova.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »
I think Samardo Samuels is overrated here. Stanley Robinson is good, will he be the #1option on that UConn team?

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 02:18:01 PM »

1) Villanova
2) West Virginia
3) Connecticut
4) Louisville
5) Georgetown
6) Syracuse
7) Cincinnati
8] Notre Dame
9) Pittsburgh
10) Seton Hall
11) St. John’s
12) Marquette
13) Providence
14) South Florida
15) Rutgers
16) DePaul

Bluto, just out of curiosity, if you switched Jay Wright and Norm as coaches, what would the records be?

Jay Wright is a great coach and recruiter. If Norm was able to provide the same services as Wright is able to, things maybe a lil different

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »
I guess the Big East Coaching community thinks Stanley Robinson is more than a complimentary player.

He has a ton of potential but he never plays up to it. He disappears in most games. Maybe he'll finally breakthrough but its doubtful.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »

1) Villanova
2) West Virginia
3) Connecticut
4) Louisville
5) Georgetown
6) Syracuse
7) Cincinnati
8] Notre Dame
9) Pittsburgh
10) Seton Hall
11) St. John’s
12) Marquette
13) Providence
14) South Florida
15) Rutgers
16) DePaul

Jay Wright is a great coach and recruiter. If Norm was able to provide the same services as Wright is able to, things maybe a lil different

At this point even Jay Wright might not be able to recruit at ST John's. My question was if Wright had this roster and Norm had Nova's what kind of record would they have?

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 03:22:42 PM »

1) Villanova
2) West Virginia
3) Connecticut
4) Louisville
5) Georgetown
6) Syracuse
7) Cincinnati
8] Notre Dame
9) Pittsburgh
10) Seton Hall
11) St. John’s
12) Marquette
13) Providence
14) South Florida
15) Rutgers
16) DePaul

At this point even Jay Wright might not be able to recruit at ST John's. My question was if Wright had this roster and Norm had Nova's what kind of record would they have?

I havent seen this years team play yet. ask me after the season

boo3

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:45 PM »

Jerome Dyson as well.  Robinson reminds me of Lavor Postell with more height.  similar games.  hit the occasional jumper, runs floor well.  lots of ally-oops and put backs.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
I think Samardo Samuels is overrated here. Stanley Robinson is good, will he be the #1option on that UConn team?

Samuels on second team over-rated?  If he were 1st team i would agree.  I think he's a monster with 18ppg and 10rpg potential.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »

Samuels on second team over-rated?  If he were 1st team i would agree.  I think he's a monster with 18ppg and 10rpg potential.

I think Yancy Gates,WesJohnson are better to name a few

boo3

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »
  never seen Wes Johnson, but from all accounts, he's the real deal. But the coaches aren't gonna put him on there for that reason.  he's a newcomer to the league.  Its good to debate this stuff, and there's nothing better to do befor the season,  but it doesn't matter where you are in the pre-season.  its the post season that counts obviously.  Wes Johnson will prob. be there at the end.

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »
I wonder if these coaches would have put Lance for Freshman of the year if he had come to St Johns?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
;D We'll revisit this one at the end of the season. I think he will be eclipsed by a few newcomers and emergent forwards.

I could be wrong, and he could be a candidate for first team (and I mean a real first team, not the 20-person first team the Big East puts out there). But I don't see any ability to create shots, just an ability to finish.  Not someone taking the crunch time shots every time.  Not someone shooting 25% of the shots.

He is a complement!

gonzalo

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 01:46:44 AM »
I wonder if these coaches would have put Lance for Freshman of the year if he had come to St Johns?

No, because the coaches would have known that he is ineligible.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 11:31:10 AM »

No, because the coaches would have known that he is ineligible.

I need one of those HBO boxing corner translaters to explain this one to me!