Boothe Believes!

• 14 replies
Boothe Believes!
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:21:33 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/10/27/2009-10-27_malik_boothe_believes_talent_will_drive_st_johns_university_to_ncaa_tournament.html#ixzz0VCWTO0lO

Malik Boothe believes team talent will drive St. John's to NCAA Tournament by Dylan Kitts

Malik Boothe can easily recall all the struggles he's endured since coming to St. John's in 2007. The former Christ the King HS point guard arrived in Fresh Meadows as one of eight freshmen, and the Johnnies struggled woefully that year, going 11-19.

Last season wasn't much better; St. John's went just 16-18, winning just one road game all season.

To Boothe, all of that is a distant memory. The Johnnies are projected to finish 11th in the Big East this season, but the team's 5-9 floor general isn't buying it.

Boothe believes the Johnnies have the talent to make their first NCAA Tournament since 2002. The team has a combination of youth and experience, Boothe says, with grizzled juniors such as Justin Burrell and D.J. Kennedy teaming with talented newcomers like former St. Ray's standout Omari Lawrence and junior college star Dwight Hardy.

Here, Boothe breaks down why he thinks St. John's will surprise the Big East this season.

"I have all the confidence in the world with these guys. I'm sure I can get the ball to them, and they can make something happen more often than not. I think that will be easy; all these guys are really unselfish.

Because we had eight freshmne when we started, now it's seven juniors together ... the chemistry is great now. We came in as just teammates, but now we're more like a family of brothers.

"I think (the newcomers) are going to give us good minutes. Dwight Hardy can really shoot it; I don't think anyone knows about the rest of his scoring ability. Justin Brownlee can play three different positions on the floor. Omari Lawrence is big - 6-4, 215 pounds. He can score in different ways, outside and inside. Malik Stith is going to be a good point guard in this league; he pushes me in practice every day.

"Ultimately, we want to make the NCAA Tournament. We want to go out and play every game hard, like it's our last game."

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:25:20 AM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

Re: Boothe Believes!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:29:45 AM »
That's exactly what he should be saying.

Then again, Saddam Hussein said "if America comes onto our soil, we will crush them."

I like Boothe, and I hope he's healthy, and that he and the others have been working hard on their games.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
Can we do the jump ball now and just get the season going! I am excited regardless of what was said in the article. I like the depth and can't wait to see these kids in action.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 01:07:12 AM »
That's exactly what he should be saying.

Then again, Saddam Hussein said "if America comes onto our soil, we will crush them."

I like Boothe, and I hope he's healthy, and that he and the others have been working hard on their games.

Really we're comparing Boothe's quotes to Saddam Hussein?!?!?  ::)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:19:36 AM »
they should be compared to baghdad bob's.

the players are good...but they're not hungry enough to make it.  the coach is a fat cat with a big ego to boot.  he's been under NO pressure to win and it has shown.

let boothe prove the pundits wrong by hitting his shots at the big east level...not division 3.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 09:00:36 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/10/27/2009-10-27_malik_boothe_believes_talent_will_drive_st_johns_university_to_ncaa_tournament.html#ixzz0VCWTO0lO

Malik Boothe believes team talent will drive St. John's to NCAA Tournament

Malik Boothe can easily recall all the struggles he's endured since coming to St. John's in 2007. The former Christ the King HS point guard arrived in Fresh Meadows as one of eight freshmen, and the Johnnies struggled woefully that year, going 11-19.

Last season wasn't much better; St. John's went just 16-18, winning just one road game all season.

To Boothe, all of that is a distant memory. The Johnnies are projected to finish 11th in the Big East this season, but the team's 5-9 floor general isn't buying it.

Boothe believes the Johnnies have the talent to make their first NCAA Tournament since 2002. The team has a combination of youth and experience, Boothe says, with grizzled juniors such as Justin Burrell and D.J. Kennedy teaming with talented newcomers like former St. Ray's standout Omari Lawrence and junior college star Dwight Hardy.

Here, Boothe breaks down why he thinks St. John's will surprise the Big East this season.

"I have all the confidence in the world with these guys. I'm sure I can get the ball to them, and they can make something happen more often than not. I think that will be easy; all these guys are really unselfish.

Because we had eight freshmne when we started, now it's seven juniors together ... the chemistry is great now. We came in as just teammates, but now we're more like a family of brothers.

"I think (the newcomers) are going to give us good minutes. Dwight Hardy can really shoot it; I don't think anyone knows about the rest of his scoring ability. Justin Brownlee can play three different positions on the floor. Omari Lawrence is big - 6-4, 215 pounds. He can score in different ways, outside and inside. Malik Stith is going to be a good point guard in this league; he pushes me in practice every day.

"Ultimately, we want to make the NCAA Tournament. We want to go out and play every game hard, like it's our last game."

I'm crossing my fingers that Malik is right in his assessment.  Let's look at some facts here: (1) In terms of age and experience, there is no team in the Big East that compares.  9 juniors and 1 senior?  I've never even heard of such a thing.  (2) The Big East is going to have a down year.  Now when I say "down year", keep in mind that it will still probably send 7 teams to the NCAA Tournament.  But when compared to the talent in the conference last year, it will fall short.  (3) The team actually has some depth.  Whether it's good depth, time will only tell.  But they have 2 point guards, an infinite amount of wing players, and 3 or 4 bodies up front.  There should be no more excuses about "Well, we just don't have the resources to compete."

As I've said repeatedly before, this is a make or break year for Norm.  And no, I do not think the NIT is acceptable.  The fact is that St. John's has a two year window to actually do something here.  After that, they'll go back to being the worst team in the conference.  If Norm can't bring this team to the NCAA Tournament with (a) an older team (b) in a bad year for the conference and (c) a good amount of depth, then he'll never be able to do it.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:21:55 AM »
they should be compared to baghdad bob's.

the players are good...but they're not hungry enough to make it.  the coach is a fat cat with a big ego to boot.  he's been under NO pressure to win and it has shown.

let boothe prove the pundits wrong by hitting his shots at the big east level...not division 3.
I think they're hungry.  They play aggressively.  I think the problem's more in the scheme than in the hunger; and I think everyone's under the same pressure to win. They just don't know how to do it yet.  That "hunger" "desire" talk is stuff I hate to hear from coaches. You got to teach the players to be an extension of you on the court, and you have to teach them a style that allows them to win - if they have the talent.

And Div 3 kids shoot better than Boothe has so far.  If he can work on moves off the drive and a floater, and stop even trying to shoot the jump shot, he'd be better served.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:55:33 AM »
Good piece Dylan!

I can't wait for the seaon to be here.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:27:25 PM »
I just love to hear someone on this team talk like that!!  It is without a doubt the best team we've had since Norm got here.  I too, think this team can make it to the NCAA Tourney!!  I also expect this team to finish in the top 6 of the BE this year.  Anything else is unacceptable!!

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »
Why did OldRed dress up as Malik and do an interview with the Daily News?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »

Looks like Theo is drinking from the same kool-aid jug as the Master Jughead: WASJU

How about we give these kids a few games before we begin to string them up? If they are not excited to be starting the season, why should they even take the court???

Come on guys, most of you are grown men. Say what you want about Norm, but lay off the kids with your silly nonsense.

LJSA

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »

Come on guys, most of you are grown men. Say what you want about Norm, but lay off the kids with your silly nonsense.

Are they 10 years old? They are not kids.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »

Looks like Theo is drinking from the same kool-aid jug as the Master Jughead: WASJU

How about we give these kids a few games before we begin to string them up? If they are not excited to be starting the season, why should they even take the court???

They are playing on TV and getting a free ride to school. Their play is open to be criticized! Anyway for the most part outside of Geno-who was really just about the worst basketball player to watch I have ever seen and Fallaway JR I have really never bashed any of the other players.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
They are playing on TV and getting a free ride to school. Their play is open to be criticized! Anyway for the most part outside of Geno-who was really just about the worst basketball player to watch I have ever seen and Fallaway JR I have really never bashed any of the other players.
I was just having a little fun with Theo and you.

Criticism is one thing, but I just think maybe we could hold off until they actually play a regular season game before unloading it.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
I was going to send some tar and feathers to all of you to use on each other... I guess I'll hold off now.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:54:40 AM by peter »