Justin Burrell

• 17 replies
Justin Burrell
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:16:25 AM »
This is the year he comes out and starts killin sht! He had a pretty good freshmen year, last year he had to deal with the injury and the Michael Myers mask. This is his time! Lets go JB -bust some ass !

Re: Justin Burrell
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:29:05 AM »
I agree. I think the mask hurt his game and he lost confidence. This year I think we will a mch improved JB.

boo3

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »
15 pts   8 reb.   

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »
He showed some flashes his freshman year.  Hopefully he comes back with a  vengeance this year. Let's go JB!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
I feel like Justin is such a factor in how this team is going to do this year.  We all know how good he can be, it's now time for him to show us it for a consistent period of time.  Hopefully the coaches simplify the game for him and just let the kid play .... play good defense, rebound the hell out of the ball, slam it home when given the chance and bury that nice J.  Nothing too fancy, just play.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 07:19:12 PM »
He was clearly uncomfortable last year. Against Louisville, he blew dunk after dunk. It was hard to watch.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:35:38 PM »
This is the year he comes out and starts killin sht! He had a pretty good freshmen year, last year he had to deal with the injury and the Michael Myers mask. This is his time! Lets go JB -bust some ass !

+1
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »
He needs to rebound! 12 and 7 should be his goal!

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »

I think that should be his goal but I think he's capable of 15 and 8.  This is a BIG year for JB, not only for the team but for his potential to move forward and play professionally.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »

I think that should be his goal but I think he's capable of 15 and 8.  This is a BIG year for JB, not only for the team but for his potential to move forward and play professionally.

Taking into account Justin's lack of a low post game and Norm's offense, asking for him to average 15 is setting him up to fail! Only a healthy Darryl Hill on a truly awful offensive team has ever averaged more than 15 a game for SJU under Norm.
Here are the yearly leading scorers under Norm:
Horne 14.6
Mason 14.0
Hamilton 13.4
Hamilton 12.6
HILL 20.7
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:34:02 AM by we are sju »

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »
Averaging 15 PPG is almost out of the quetion for JB this year.  There are too many guys that will be around double-figures every game:  Hardy, Mason, DJ, Paris, Evans, etc.  I think Hardy will have a few 20+ games and might even top the 30 pt mark a time or two. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
Disagree, kind of - Burrell has post moves.  He just needs them to be less mechanical.  And if the team speeds up just a little, JB can go off.  I don't know about 15 points/ game - there are a lot of perimeter options - but if he chases offensive boards at times like Evans does AND takes shots at the rate he did his freshman year, he'll be up in the double figures.

kjd01067

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »
I'm not too worried about JB scoring the ball, he has shown that he can score inside and out.  What I want to see is him rebound the ball with authority.  Last year too many times JB would sit and watch Evans and Kennedy rebound the ball.  JB should be a beast both on the off and def boards but he has to show that desire.  If he starts to rebound more the scoring will come with it.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 10:58:06 AM »
Disagree, kind of - Burrell has post moves.  He just needs them to be less mechanical.  And if the team speeds up just a little, JB can go off.  I don't know about 15 points/ game - there are a lot of perimeter options - but if he chases offensive boards at times like Evans does AND takes shots at the rate he did his freshman year, he'll be up in the double figures.

Burrell's best asset is his 10-15 foot jumper.  He's pretty nasty with it.  That is a shot that will always be there for him.  If he can hit that with regularity like Adrien of Uconn last year, he'll be in able to hit double-figures frequently. 

Of course, if he becomes a beast on the boards, he'll be living in double-digits.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 11:10:54 AM »

Saying he has moves they are just slow and mechanical is like saying a fat guy has a six pack, only it is under a few layers of beer and donut gut!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »
Like a fat guy with a six pack, he can exercise and get quicker.

Justin's got to be a better receiver of the ball as well; and guys have to actually try and find him.  If Kennedy drives and find Burrell, Burrell has a very good chance of getting fouled.  I think part of the problem with the team and with JB is that sometimes guys get it in their heads that they have to make the difference.  Then they're not moving into good positions to receive the ball off of a pass or they're not making that extra pass.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 11:29:37 AM »
Like a fat guy with a six pack, he can exercise and get quicker.

Justin's got to be a better receiver of the ball as well; and guys have to actually try and find him.  If Kennedy drives and find Burrell, Burrell has a very good chance of getting fouled.  I think part of the problem with the team and with JB is that sometimes guys get it in their heads that they have to make the difference.  Then they're not moving into good positions to receive the ball off of a pass or they're not making that extra pass.

I like Burrell and think if the team has any chance of exceeding my prediction of 14 wins he has to play well. With that being said i think he should concentrate on rebounding and hitting the occasional face up jumper. At this point I have not seen any sign of a low post game, but hopefully he worked on it this past summer. If he can get between 7 and 8 boards he should average around 12 or 13 a game which would be a big improvement! Honestly a penetrating guard would help him immeasurably but the combination of Norm's offense and Boothe's play have made that impossible up till now.

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »
Burrell can avg 15 a game if he hits the offensive boards and run the floor. If the Maliks can penetrate and dish our bigs will get some easy baskets. Make teams honor the 3 point line which will extend the defense and give the bigs more room to operate down low. The more talent around JB the better he will be is just my opinion.