Preseason Metro Ranking [CollegeHoopsNet]

• 7 replies
Preseason Metro Ranking [CollegeHoopsNet]
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »
http://collegehoopsnet.com/ugroup/preseason-metro-ranking-167496

Is college basketball in NYC on the way back? Possibly.
2008-09 was a tough season for the schools in the New York metropolitan area. Only two (Rider and St. John's) experienced postseason play and neither played in the NCAA or NIT. But hope springs eternal and there are a number of postseason hopefuls in the area in 2009-10. If Seton Hall's transfers mesh well with the returnees in game situations look out; Bobby Gonzalez has enough talent to make a serious run at an NCAA bid.

The same goes for Norm Roberts' Red Storm, provided they find consistent answers on offense. While there were a number of options last season as well St. John's struggled to score, ranking among the worst in the Big East in scoring offense.

As for teams not in a BCS conference there are some opportunities to reach postseason play, beginning with Rider in the Metro Atlantic. The attention has gone to Siena and rightfully so but the Broncs will be right there with the Saints and Niagara atop the conference. They've got one of the nation's most versatile players in Ryan Thompson and Monmouth transfer Jhamar Youngblood will slide into the spot left open by the graduation of Harris Mansell. There's also sophomore wing Novar Gadson and an undersized warrior up front in Mike Ringgold. As for other area MAAC schools Fairfield and St. Peter's also have the returning talent to make a run at the top half of the conference.

Hofstra may have been picked to finish sixth in the CAA but they've got the potential to make a move up the standings with G Charles Jenkins running the show. Their fate could ultimately come down to the progression of players such as F/C Greg Washington and the rest of the supporting cast; Jenkins will be the focus of opposing teams all season long. Stony Brook, coming off of their most successful season as a member of America East, welcomes back Muhammad El-Amin and Bryan Dougher in addition to a capable supporting cast and the same goes for Princeton in the Ivy League.

Juniors Dan Mavraides and Doug Davis lead a team picked to finish second in the Ancient Eight behind two-time defending champion Cornell and as a result Sydney Johnson's club has a shot at the crown. LIU was picked to finish second in the NEC but with the loss of three players expected to play a major role (Julian Boyd, Lucas fierce person giano and Aurimas Adomaitis) a lot more will be on the shoulders of G Jaytornah Wisseh in his senior campaign.

Two teams to keep an eye on in that conference: Monmouth and Fairleigh Dickinson, although Sacred Heart and St. Francis (NY) shouldn't be ignored either. The Hawks open up a new arena and welcome back Whitney Coleman to go along with their young returnees. Greg Vetrone takes over for Tom Green in Teaneck and if PG Mike Scott can fill in for Cameron Tyler (sitting out the fall semester for academic reasons) the Knights could be a threat come conference play due to the presence of Sean Baptiste.

This is shaping up to be a season in which even the teams at the bottom of this ranking pick up a few big wins; NJIT now has something to play for (the Great West begins play this season) even though they won't be able to earn an automatic NCAA bid. Look for 2009-10 to be a good year in the New York metropolitan area for college basketball.

1. Seton Hall
2. St. John's
3. Rider
4. Rutgers
5. Hofstra
6. Stony Brook
7. Fairfield
8. Princeton
9. LIU
10. St. Peter's
11. Yale
12. Sacred Heart
13. Manhattan
14. Army
15. St. Francis (NY)
16. Columbia
17. Iona
18. Fairleigh Dickinson
19. Monmouth
20. Fordham
21. Marist
22. Wagner
23. NJIT
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:04:45 PM by Dave »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

Re: Preseason Metro Ranking [collegehoops.net]
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:48:05 PM »
Rutgers over Hofstra. That's funny.

TONYD3

Re: Preseason Metro Ranking [CollegeHoopsNet]
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »
Not being a jerk. Why is that funny? Rutgers is supposedly getting better. Hofstra picked 6th in their conference. I got my masters degree from Hofstra and for some reason I really hate them and want them to do bad.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:40:29 PM »
Hofstra will be improved but they will be very good in 2010/11
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
... I got my masters degree from Hofstra and for some reason I really hate them and want them to do bad.
This is interesting. Have you ever given any thought to it? I love the places that gave me degrees. I took them and ran. I do know others however who lost all respect for any university that would award them a degree.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:13 AM »
Rutgers isn't better than Hofstra.
They might not be a top 10 metro area team.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:05:23 AM »
We spank Hofstra this year

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »
We spank Hofstra this year

we've said that before