Providence Cuts Some Tickets To $5

• 20 replies
Providence Cuts Some Tickets To $5
« on: November 07, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »
http://www.projo.com/pc/content/sp_bkc_pc_tickets_07_11-07-09_MBGCG5C_v1.2af109b.html

“Our sales are down about eight percent from last year, but given the unemployment in our state, plus the fact that we have a new team, that’s not unexpected,” he said. “I’ve heard other schools are down 18-20 percent, so I’m appreciative of what our fans are doing thus far. If we win some games, we’ll see some good walk-up crowds.”

Outside of canning Norm, one wonders what proactive steps the George Hamilton of ADs is taking to prevent against a significant dropoff in customers this upcoming season.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:06:13 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

Tha Kid

Re: Providence Cuts Some Tickets To $5
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:17:44 AM »
great idea...can st johns pay attention?
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:36:04 AM »
We should not be comparing ourselves to a garbage school in a garbage town.

We're New York. They're not.

boo3

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:38:41 AM »

Providence is not a garbage school.  not even close.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 11:20:16 AM »
Realistically, I think ecenomic factors in Providence and New York are different.  It is more expensive to put on a basketball game in New York than it is in Providence---especially at MSG.  I don't think it's possible to drop ticket prices across the board down to $5.  Students, however, should pay less.  $5 at CA and $10 plus free buses to MSG would be a good idea.  Home court advantage should not be given away to schools like Cuse, Nova and Uconn.  Even Marquette outnumbered us at last year's BE championship.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

Sorry, but yes it is.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
Realistically, I think ecenomic factors in Providence and New York are different.  It is more expensive to put on a basketball game in New York than it is in Providence---especially at MSG.  I don't think it's possible to drop ticket prices across the board down to $5.  Students, however, should pay less.  $5 at CA and $10 plus free buses to MSG would be a good idea.  Home court advantage should not be given away to schools like Cuse, Nova and Uconn.  Even Marquette outnumbered us at last year's BE championship.
In the case of MSG, like an airplane flight, it's a fixed cost (reportedly in the neighborhood of 100k) which is going to be used. After X dollars are cleared, it is all profit, but, if they overprice their product, they will continually lose money on their games. At Carny, they have far less seats, but dramatically smaller fixed costs. Hence, this was why they made the transition a few years ago to play more home games there. Not surprisingly, it involves games against teams (Cincy, etc.) that may or may not generate enough attendance to hit the threshold number (X dollars).

I believe Monasch and his staff can afford to get more creative with their pricing at Carnesecca.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »

Sorry, but yes it is.

If you say so.

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 02:48:22 PM »

If providence is a garbage school, why isn't st johns?

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »

Providence, RI  isn't in any way glamorous, but it does have some good restaurants, intellectuals and history-at least it's not as depressing as Syracuse or Rochester.

St. John's is in Queens. The campus and surrounding area is not exactly going to get confused with LaJolla or Key West. Academically, well...

LJSA

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 03:13:34 AM »
I haven't kept up with the rankings (outside of the top schools) in a long time, but I know Providence had a better reputation than St. John's in 1989. What does this mean? Probably not much.

boo3

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »

Sorry, but yes it is.

According to US News and World report:  Providence is ranked #2 among Big East schools:  Again, please explain why its a garbage school.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-colleges/2009/03/03/athletic-conference-breakdown-big-east.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 02:27:05 PM by boo3 »

Poison

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 02:37:31 PM »
Cost of living in Providence isn't cost of living in NY.
They charge less because they have to.

It's not garbage because they have poor academics.
It's garbage because the community doesn't have money like NY does to spend on basketball tickets.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 02:51:04 PM »

According to US News and World report:  Providence is ranked #2 among Big East schools:  Again, please explain why its a garbage school.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-colleges/2009/03/03/athletic-conference-breakdown-big-east.html
That conference breakdown is misleading, in that, two schools (Villanova and Providence) choose not to compete nationally in terms of their ranking so as to inflate their ranking regionally. Villanova, for example, gets to say that they are #1 regionally (competing against schools like Marist, Salve Regina, and Quinnipiac)-as opposed to being a borderline top 100 national university (when competing against Harvard, Cal Tech, and Notre Dame). It helps admissiions and development market themselves to applicants and alumni respectively, but, personally, I view it as a sleight of hand.

boo3

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
 I happen to agree with you in that it is a bit misleading. The rankings 1-4  should probably be more like:
1. Georgetown
2.ND
3. Nova
4.PC

My point was to illustrate that PC is not a garbage school by any measure.  Unless of course you consider them  a garbage school because the community does not have money ::)

Poison

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 03:56:20 PM »
Unemployment is over 10% nationally now.
Yet in NY people still have $600 for a single bleacher seat to see the Yankees play the Angels.

In Rhode Island, there are not enough people with money to waste.
If we were good, we'd sell tickets for even more than SJU charges now.

Tha Kid

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:54 PM »
Unemployment is over 10% nationally now.
Yet in NY people still have $600 for a single bleacher seat to see the Yankees play the Angels.

In Rhode Island, there are not enough people with money to waste.
If we were good, we'd sell tickets for even more than SJU charges now.

If we were good...

so Providence College is garbage just because Providence the city is?  That's dumb.  This thread has made me feel dumber.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 07:38:24 PM »
Is that possible?

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 07:45:34 PM »
FWIW, student tickets are now $5 at carnesecca instead of $10

Poison

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »
$5 isn't enough to fight their apathy.