Calm Before the Storm: Siena Versus the Storm [Johnny Jungle]

• 25 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Calm Before the Storm: Siena Versus the Storm [Johnny Jungle]
« on: November 25, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
This weekend, St. John's travels to the historic Palestra in Philadelphia, PA, to take on the Siena Saints and the Temple Owls in the Philly Hoop Group Classic. Known for their frenetic style, Siena will be tough competition for a team that has had problems maintaining possessions in past years. A win over the MAAC's Saints will be a nice feather in the Red Storm's cap... or I suppose headband would be more appropriate. Even though the games aren't on TV, the Hoop Group games are a chance to gauge where this team stands nationally.

Read more. Calm Before the Storm: Siena Versus the Storm
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:38:07 PM by Dave »

Re: Calm Before the Storm: Siena Versus the Storm [Johnny Jungle]
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »
Good stuff Peter. Youre right about Siena's depth, their bench is not good so far. Quote from Siens fans on the MAAC board "ST Johns is fcked"

Poison

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »
That quote seems to imply that we are all of the sudden, fcked.

We've been fcked for 6 years. This is nothing new.

To win our big fella has to get act together. Hopefully, the team
has working on getting him the ball in practice, and playing help d.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 03:39:09 PM »
That quote seems to imply that we are all of the sudden, fcked.

We've been fcked for 6 years. This is nothing new.

To win our big fella has to get act together. Hopefully, the team
has working on getting him the ball in practice, and playing help d.

I agree, if our bigs continue to suck defensively-Rossitter and FRanklin will have a field day

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
Um when did Siena beat Ohio State?

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »
Um when did Siena beat Ohio State?

1st round, Last year NCAA tourny

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
I think we need to push the ball. We need to control the tempo and not let Siena get into rhythm. Also we need to play with more hustle and discipline than them. Don't let Rossiter box out and get hustle boards. We need to do the little things better. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »
We have been blaming people, events, and circumstances for years. I hope that stops now. I really like our team and I am rooting hard for our coach. I can't understand anyone who frequents this and other STJ message boards who would think differently. I have been disappointed a few times over the last couple years hoping we were back. I hope and think we will play hard and with pride.
 DJ will have a monster game. Brownlee is going to be a beast. Boothe is going to suprise some people. I am excited. It has been a long time. I am ready. i hope the team is.
Bus was a great idea. When (if) we start winning again I hope it is tried again. I am still trying to come down Friday. Trying to get someone to come with me.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 08:05:07 PM »
I think we need to push the ball. We need to control the tempo and not let Siena get into rhythm. Also we need to play with more hustle and discipline than them. Don't let Rossiter box out and get hustle boards. We need to do the little things better.

Siena will dictate the tempo.  They will push and continue to do so.  Over the course of the game they get so many secondary transition points by just constantly getting into 3-2 or 4-2 situations.  The infrastructure they have in place to run is very impressive.  We simply cannot get beat down the floor--that has to be the key theme this week for practice and a good coach would mention it every few minutes in practice.  Maybe the close win against Brown was a good thing for a very aggressive week of practice?

The good news is we are bigger and more athletic up front.  If Norm was smart he would switch up like crazy on Franklin.  I think DJ would rape him one on one and it would completely negate his quickness and really flip the script on what he takes for granted going in as a smaller/more athletic forward than his competition.  It would just completely take him out of his comfort zone.  Then throw some Evans on him to bang.  Burrell would probably feed right into what they want out of him and JB is not usually one to dominate a smaller PF on the boards.   Brownlee could be a good option.  Just keep mixing it up on both of their bigs. 

Rossiter is so f'ing crafty, but he's not very strong nor is he athletic.  Evans should bull him out of the paint and Burrell won't be a bad matchup on him I would think. 

Besides their PG, Moore, and depending on who Norm's chooses to put on Franklin for most of the minutes, I think we have the better horses at the other positions.  We have good depth and athletes everywhere. 

If we can negate their secondary transition offense, I think we have a advantage in the halfcourt.  I can't believe I'm actually writing that. 

Poison

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »
Marillac, we towered over Brown, and they pushed us around.
The guys have to play tougher basketball.

Kennedy made a man's move with a 77-76 lead and a minute to go.
We need moves like that throughout the game.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 08:24:41 AM by Poison »

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 11:15:45 PM »
Rossitter and Franklin are good, they had 22 and 15 points the last game against Delaware. We need to stop them

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 11:46:51 PM »
we can take these guys. they are not a great 3pt shooting team. if hardy is working tomm. it will open our inside game.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »
we can take these guys. they are not a great 3pt shooting team. if hardy is working tomm. it will open our inside game.

I agree. Also Sean Evans needs to man up

Poison

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 12:10:06 AM »
They all need to man up on d

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 12:13:11 AM »
They all need to man up on d

Agreed, but we've been getting owned down low

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 01:18:44 AM »

I agree. Also Sean Evans needs to man up

Lets hope he steps up for his homecoming.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 02:45:05 AM »
Marillac, we towered over Brown, and they pushed us around.
The guys have to play tougher basketball.

Kennedy made a man's move with a 77-76 lead and a minute to go.
We need moves like throughout the game.

I just watched the highlights on redstormsports.com and I saw saw things already that I didn't see at all the last few years.  There were some really impressive drives and I actually saw a player cut hard and get a pass--I think it was Hardy, but that damn thing is so small.

I think it was DJ that had the hard drives, though.  We REALLY need that.  It's been missing for years. 

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 03:08:47 AM »
Oh, and someone--I think Hardy--actually shot a three off the dribble!  Haven't seen that in forever around here.  It looked good on the 1 inch screen...feet set and all.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 03:21:45 AM »
Marillac while your optimism is refreshing the highlights aren't the full tale.

Even though we've been shooting well from the outside we're settling for way too many jump shots when we should be creating off of penetration. It seems like the offense we run is our own worst enemy sometimes. We seem so focused on doing the right thing, or being in the right spot, instead of just doing. I'm hoping this is just an early season phase.

I'm hoping we see more of DJ and Paris penetrating through the lane and once they do that it opens up kick out and dumps for easy buckets.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
While you're right, Dave, about us settling for too many jump shots, the defenses we've faced have been designed based on our inability in the past to hit the outside shot.  Zones are usually packed in against us.  If we continue to hit the deep shots, the defenders will step further out our inside game, as well as the ability to drive to the basket will be more available.