Big East Power Rankings [SNY]

• 9 replies
Big East Power Rankings [SNY]
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091130&content_id=7727780&oid=2&vkey=21

9. St. John's (5-0)
The Johnnies are off to their best start since 2002-03 thanks to impressive victories over Siena and Temple. D.J. Kennedy scored 23 against Siena and 15 vs. Temple to win the Hoop Group Classic in Philly. And the Johnnies are still without injured players Anthony Mason Jr. and Rob Thomas. Thomas may return in time for Saturday's tilt with Duke.
Game to watch: Dec. 5 at Duke, 3:30
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Big East Power Rankings [SNY]
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »
We should be at 7, St Johns is better than Georgetown and Notre Dame

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:18:05 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »
you're probably right.  if sny knew anything about local sports, they would have aired the two games in philly.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »

We certainly are better than Notre Dame. At least right now we are.
They just lost to Northwestern.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »
I think Georgetown and Notre Dame might be most overrated while Marquette and Seton Hall are underrated

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »
I think Georgetown and Notre Dame might be most overrated while Marquette and Seton Hall are underrated

I agree with you about Marquette and Seton Hall, but I think G'town and ND are right about where they should be.  I give both teams and edge over us right now. 

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
How?

Georgetown and Notre Dame are no different from last season. Maybe even weaker. No Summers for Georgetown and no K-Mac for ND.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
How?

Georgetown and Notre Dame are no different from last season. Maybe even weaker. No Summers for Georgetown and no K-Mac for ND.

I don't think both teams would have been better off without them last year.  I think they are both far better this year than last as well.  I would be shocked if ND didn't win 20. 

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »
How?

I don't think both teams would have been better off without them last year.  I think they are both far better this year than last as well.  I would be shocked if ND didn't win 20.

You don't think or you do think they would have been better of last year without Summers and KMac.  Yeah, gotta agree they both took a few too many shots but they were as integral to their teams wins as losses. 

Still don't see how you can say they're definitvely better.  Even if it was just those two guys I probably wouldn't agree with you, and I haven't watched any of either this year so I'm only making these statements off paper, but it's not just those guys.

First they both started swiftly last year so can't say anything by their starts.  This year I think we'll know a little more about GTown after the Butler game Monday night.  UND, won't know anything about them pre conference.  They have a sweet drake's OOC lineup from here on out and they're tough games so far have been against MOR majors.

Re personnel I think GTown could end up missing Sapp as much as if not more than Summers, he was their leader.  It's up to Wright and Freeman to play to their clippings.  Yes, another year's experience for them and Monroe is a good thing.  We'll see how it plays out.  I also think they should be able to pound teams down low with Sims, Vaughn and Thompson along side Monroe but is that JTIII ball?  I forget, when is Jason Clark back?

Re UND Kyle Mac was key for them but they also lost all the front court support for Goady (Zeller, Hillestand, Ayers) so good play from Abromomaitis (sp?) and Ty Nash is essential.  Also I thought they'd be pretty good with Scott Martin but with him out for the year Psycho B is going to have to shine and after a torrid start he looks to be cooling down.

Time will tell but I don't see where either of these teams are better off except a little more experience.  If STJ, another team with a lot more experience, could beat them last year at home they have as good a chance as they have had in recent memory of beating them this year, even though both games are on the road.