NEC opponents this season YIKES

• 6 replies
NEC opponents this season YIKES
« on: January 16, 2008, 02:15:16 PM »
These teams are just dreadful and doesn't say much for 4 of our 7 wins. We played three of the worst teams in the conference and the only winning team in the conference has a below 500 record.

St. Francis (5-12, 2-4)
Fairleigh Dickinson (5-9, 1-3)
Long Island University (9-6, 1-3)
Sacred Heart (7-10, 4-2)

Our scheduling has to improve next season as we need to play more challenging opponents. If we were a better team we could afford the cupcakes but when we're sitting at 7-8 I would have rather played tougher teams. Our RPI has to be pretty poor right now.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: NEC opponents this season YIKES
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:15:46 PM »
Very disheartening.

However, had we scheduled more good teams, our record would be much worse.  I think Norm tries to show "improvement" through W's, no matter who they're against.  Perhaps it fools the administration, but it doesn't fool the fans. 

kob24

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »
i would say something but yall are gonna disagree with me

Poison

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
These teams are just dreadful and doesn't say much for 4 of our 7 wins. We played three of the worst teams in the conference and the only winning team in the conference has a below 500 record.

St. Francis (5-12, 2-4)
Fairleigh Dickinson (5-9, 1-3)
Long Island University (9-6, 1-3)
Sacred Heart (7-10, 4-2)

Our scheduling has to improve next season as we need to play more challenging opponents. If we were a better team we could afford the cupcakes but when we're sitting at 7-8 I would have rather played tougher teams. Our RPI has to be pretty poor right now.

Norm has obviously scheduled easy teams the last few years to try and increase his win total.
Now, we can say that Norm had a winning year.

Even if it was at the expense of teams that we should have waxed by 40.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »
Very disheartening.

However, had we scheduled more good teams, our record would be much worse.  I think Norm tries to show "improvement" through W's, no matter who they're against.  Perhaps it fools the administration, but it doesn't fool the fans. 

agreed. oh, and during his post-game press conference, jerry wainwright (depaul coach) said that the reason his guys could come in and play in games like this on the road was because of their hard schedule.  i think norm was asked about the sju schedule after the game, and norm said something like "we have some tough teams on the OOC sched this season". thats laughable
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 12:04:27 AM »
Very disheartening.

agreed. oh, and during his post-game press conference, jerry wainwright (depaul coach) said that the reason his guys could come in and play in games like this on the road was because of their hard schedule.  i think norm was asked about the sju schedule after the game, and norm said something like "we have some tough teams on the OOC sched this season". thats laughable

norm is a simple creation of false confidence......especially for himself. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »
i would say something but yall are gonna disagree with me
That's what message boards are for, disagreement!  What's up?

FYI I think next year we're supposed to play tougher opponents-- though all I know (I asked on the other board) is that we're in the preseason NIT with a possible game against Boston College if we get past the first round game.  I think.