One thing we're doing right...

• 26 replies
One thing we're doing right...
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
Apparently this past semester was the best team average GPA out of any team in the program's history. I'm curious to what that GPA is but either way I'm happy that they are doing well.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

Re: One thing we're doing right...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:27:54 PM »
this will make harrington happy.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »
Apparently this past semester was the best team average GPA out of any team in the program's history. I'm curious to what that GPA is but either way I'm happy that they are doing well.

You mean to say that this team is better academically than Jarvis' academias?

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »
thug-a-nomics isn't a class anymore

kob24

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:31:32 PM »
i was reading on the other site in past post that people thought justin wasnt good with his books. but he has a 3.2 gpa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hit those books and boards aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
honestly, and i really dont mean this as an insult but this is just reality that has been backed up by people close to the situation: if rob thomas, who was illiterate just 2 and a half years ago is passing all college level classes, then there must be some bogus or easy major in the university.  anyways, congrats to the student-athletes for hitting the books and reaching the GPA high.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:40:13 PM »
isn't TJ's gpa like 3.8 or something insanely good?

kob24

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:57:30 PM »
rob thomas has like 15 tutors for every class aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. tj eeehhh i dont know hows he does it. maybe they focusing on their schol work during basketball practice thats why they dont run any plays. just playing just playing

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:17 PM »
honestly, and i really dont mean this as an insult but this is just reality that has been backed up by people close to the situation: if rob thomas, who was illiterate just 2 and a half years ago is passing all college level classes, then there must be some bogus or easy major in the university.  anyways, congrats to the student-athletes for hitting the books and reaching the GPA high.

why don't you read up on dyslexia a little instead of spewing this stuff over and over...
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:37:10 PM »
Let me play voice of reason between the two. Yes there are easier classes and there are harder classes and same goes for majors. Perhaps some of the players are taking a "NEC out of conference schedule" type class load is what johnniesfan is saying. They aren't taking quantum physics but if you want to take that approach at looking at things tell me what players around the country are taking hard class loads? Slim to none would be the answer so don't hold St. John's to another standard as you would every team around the country.

They still have to go to class, do the homework, go to study hall, take the tests and they are producing better results kudos to them. Again they aren't in the pharmacy program(possibly the hardest major at St. John's) but again who is? I've been in classes that were easy and hard with players in them so first hand I can tell you they don't have all slam dunks but they do have a few and everyone does.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:11:35 PM »

why don't you read up on dyslexia a little instead of spewing this stuff over and over...

why dont you read up on how kids are being diagnosed with LD's left and right for NCAA standards reasons and now prep school allowances as well.  not saying hes not legitimate but considering the fact that he was in prep school and his past, its worth considering
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:01:42 AM »
gpa is great and all, but none of these bb players are honestly taking quantum mechanics or vector analysis....i would rather see sju in final four contention every year.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 08:43:32 AM »
Much respct to coach and the playas fo gettin things done in the classroom.

All y'all probly foget that hardly any college playas go on to the league. So the cycle of takin brothas out of the ghetto and gettin theyselves movin thru the economic strata come straight thru education. If playas at any college hit they books hard, take on responsibility  and become men then they can return to they communities and lead. They can truly be they brother's keeper and this world can be a better place.

Peace out!

-Choz4Life 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

kob24

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
damn that want my kid with a high gpa aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
just because a man can't read well doesn't mean he can't process things, answer questions, analyze history.  it just means he has a harder time getting the information in through the written word.  if one of his tutors is reading to him, or if someone's helping him out, he can still get it done-- with the resources and time allowances many people with dyslexia get.

dyslexia just means he has a hard time understanding the written word. 

keep those GPA's up, fellas.

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 11:14:55 AM »
Congratulations to the entire team - Tomas and Justin in particular. Special kudos to Rob Thomas whose had the toughest road to hoe. Great job boys - this area of your life is very important and we're proud of all of you. And thanks, Norm. I'll bet that your attention to this issue was the primary motivating factor in all of this. 

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
I hate to be so negative, but cmon JJ.  SJU curriculum is embarrassing.  I only have one good student athlete story.
I once had a major player on the soccer team in my group for a project.  When we asked him where his share of the project was he said it was not ready.  But the kicker was he told me it was not his fault.  He said the person who does his work did not have it finished yet and he told him the due date, so he did his part.   
I don’ believe in giving anybody, including myself credit for doing well at SJU.  Ask anybody who has transferred from another college, they will tell you how much easier SJU is.
And if you are communications major or in SJU college, please, I heard so many embarrassing stories I cant even say. 

kob24

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 01:43:21 PM »
I hate to be so negative, but cmon JJ.  SJU curriculum is embarrassing.  I only have one good student athlete story.
I once had a major player on the soccer team in my group for a project.  When we asked him where his share of the project was he said it was not ready.  But the kicker was he told me it was not his fault.  He said the person who does his work did not have it finished yet and he told him the due date, so he did his part.   
I don’ believe in giving anybody, including myself credit for doing well at SJU.  Ask anybody who has transferred from another college, they will tell you how much easier SJU is.
And if you are communications major or in SJU college, please, I heard so many embarrassing stories I cant even say. 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh stop being a hater aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh stop being a hater aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry kob.  if this was last year, i would be more pleasant.  it's hard for me to see any positives this year

kob24

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 02:06:04 PM »
cmon we cant give up this is my 1st year here im #$%^ing hyped aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. as long as my guy plays hard im #$%^ing happy aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. i have a new outlook. i aint even worried about this year. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh