WV thoughts

• 37 replies

Randomhero423

Re: WV thoughts
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
mase got top 10 on espn?!?!?!?!? im statrting to hate norm >:(

Hey now - we need you and your guys to send us some more good players.  Don't let your norm hate get in the way of that :)
me and my guys was talking after the game and was like we could flood this school wth talent not only from ny but all over. but its hard to sell to kids when u got players they know of not balling out like they can. u can only blame that on the style of the school.
what should i use to entice them to come here?

I hear you kob - maybe you gotta try just a little harder here :)

if u think about. we are thee sleeping giant of the NCAA's.  if these really good players come here and bring it back on the map.  they won't only get great exposure, play at MSG, play in the big east.  but can really make a name for themselves.  (like acie law at texas a and m.)

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 07:58:57 PM »
I agree.  I think we have *at least* 3 more wins if Malik is playing.  With RT healthy and in better shape (next year), we could really do some damage.  We lost at 'Cuse by 6, at WV by 9.  Could have, should have won both games.  Same with Cincy.  You also figure that we would have beat either Ohio or Tulane in the tourney.  Nevermind the Niagra game, we should have won that without any questions.

Still, I blame Norm and Geno (our senior leader) for our lack of success so far this year.  Everyone's played a part, but they get the brunt of my angst.

Randomhero423

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 08:07:15 PM »
AMJR and TJ have been bad too

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »
AMJR and TJ have been bad too

Most definitely.  However, Norm shouldn't be playing TJ as much (and none of us expected anything from him anyway).  I agree with Mase, he's regressed.  He's the third musketeer, if you will.

kob24

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 08:18:17 PM »
so heres the question fellas. how do u convince kids who are watching this it wont happen to u. that if malik or justin plays bad u will get the minutes to show what u got. they all are seeing this now with geno and malik. how do i explain this?

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »
With Geno gone, his first "recruit" and only senior on the squad, things will change next year.  That's what you tell new recruits anyway.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »
Well this sums it up right here. My father who doesn't really follow the team that well and doesn't really know every situation but since my interest in the team is so great he will try and catch some of the games when they're on TV. He said, "the team seems to do better when the little guy is in" "the senior whats his name?....he dribbles too much and really disrupts the flow" "He also takes way too many ill advised shots"

Now my father might be the most unbiased person and only has seen parts of 3-4 games this season and he makes this observation. He had no idea this was the latest controversy of the team either.

Also I want to say WVU has the WORST athletics website I've ever seen. http://www.wvu.edu/Athletics/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 12:53:45 AM »
Cheerleaders looked okay to me  ;D

gonzalo

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
With Geno gone, his first "recruit" and only senior on the squad, things will change next year.  That's what you tell new recruits anyway.

Then, why don´t we have any recruit?

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »
Sit Norm on the Bench and let Malik run the game

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »
call me crazy :P but I thought overall we played pretty good at West Virginia 8)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 01:19:15 PM »
call me crazy :P but I thought overall we played pretty good at West Virginia 8)

crazy

we play well in stretches and then its like we're not even on the court anymore and we run our dribble stall offense until we're down double digits. Once we're down 10 we start going ok lets put in Larry Wright to shoot 3's and we'll have a token press of one guy
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 01:34:39 PM »

Then, why don´t we have any recruit?

It doesn't work, but that's what you have to tell them.  Sigh.

Tha Kid

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »
so heres the question fellas. how do u convince kids who are watching this it wont happen to u. that if malik or justin plays bad u will get the minutes to show what u got. they all are seeing this now with geno and malik. how do i explain this?

kob - what you do is you tell them Geno is an unusual case.  Norm came in and the program was decimated by jarvis and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone to come here, esp. NYC kids from good schools.  Geno, from Lincoln, was the first NYC guy to sign with Norm, in late spring right in the beginnin gof Norm's tenure and because of that Norm feels loyal to him more than anyone else he will ever sign.  Norm realizes Geno deserves to be benched, and Malik has played the last few mins of games - but because Geno was Norm's first recruit - from a bigtime NYC program no less - and Geno is a 4 year starter, former MVP of the Holiday festival when they upset NC State (i believe it was that year/), Norm has an unusual degree of loyalty to him.

Then you tell them, its obvious Norm prefers guys who play tough and never back down on defense - as long as you do that, you get the time you deserve - you gotta be rough and in your face.  You guys are NYC kids, this is what you were BORN and BRED to do - you don't back down from NOBODY and you will have no problem being the kind of guy that Norm loves, so you will get all the time you deserve and possibly more since you got that NYC toughness and grit that kids outside of NYC simply don't understand or have.

How does that work for ya kob?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »

kob - what you do is you tell them Geno is an unusual case.  Norm came in and the program was decimated by jarvis and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone to come here, esp. NYC kids from good schools.  Geno, from Lincoln, was the first NYC guy to sign with Norm, in late spring right in the beginnin gof Norm's tenure and because of that Norm feels loyal to him more than anyone else he will ever sign.  Norm realizes Geno deserves to be benched, and Malik has played the last few mins of games - but because Geno was Norm's first recruit - from a bigtime NYC program no less - and Geno is a 4 year starter, former MVP of the Holiday festival when they upset NC State (i believe it was that year/), Norm has an unusual degree of loyalty to him.

Then you tell them, its obvious Norm prefers guys who play tough and never back down on defense - as long as you do that, you get the time you deserve - you gotta be rough and in your face.  You guys are NYC kids, this is what you were BORN and BRED to do - you don't back down from NOBODY and you will have no problem being the kind of guy that Norm loves, so you will get all the time you deserve and possibly more since you got that NYC toughness and grit that kids outside of NYC simply don't understand or have.

there no prob with stepping down as an upper classman to a freshman and becoming a mentor in certain situations. it happens all the time, you can still contribute to the team, just not ON the court. the loyaty issue is a complete joke. the holiday festival if i recall, nc state lost that game and julius hodge probably played his worst game ever. sju did not win it with lawrence. i love geno as a person but remember he did take the best available offer after high school. it aint like he turned down a schollie from NC or Duke to come here. everyone has their own selfish reasons for their actions....but to compromise better play and potential wins is ridiculous.

Tha Kid

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »

there no prob with stepping down as an upper classman to a freshman and becoming a mentor in certain situations. it happens all the time, you can still contribute to the team, just not ON the court. the loyaty issue is a complete joke. the holiday festival if i recall, nc state lost that game and julius hodge probably played his worst game ever. sju did not win it with lawrence. i love geno as a person but remember he did take the best available offer after high school. it aint like he turned down a schollie from NC or Duke to come here. everyone has their own selfish reasons for their actions....but to compromise better play and potential wins is ridiculous.

HOW THICKHEADED ARE YOU NYCBUCKEYE?  THis is the second time you simply don't comprehend what posts are getting at in this thread. KOB asked how you sell  St. John's on these kids.  That was not my opinion, that is how I would SELL it.  Unless you think Norm should say to kids, hey I just am loyal to guys to a fault, so no, you prob won't get the amt. of time you deserve?  Jesus Almighty...

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »
i should have been more clear instead of pasting the whole post...specifically i was refering to the loyalty issues with norm when kob posted 'Geno, from Lincoln, was the first NYC guy to sign with Norm, in late spring right in the beginnin gof Norm's tenure and because of that Norm feels loyal to him more than anyone else he will ever sign.' it had nothing to do w/selling sju......

relax kid brotha..no need to get excited my man!...one can comment on any part of a quote that someone says on one post....

Tha Kid

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 10:17:45 AM »
i should have been more clear instead of pasting the whole post...specifically i was refering to the loyalty issues with norm when kob posted 'Geno, from Lincoln, was the first NYC guy to sign with Norm, in late spring right in the beginnin gof Norm's tenure and because of that Norm feels loyal to him more than anyone else he will ever sign.' it had nothing to do w/selling sju......

relax kid brotha..no need to get excited my man!...one can comment on any part of a quote that someone says on one post....

I understand you can, but the point of these posts is to say what someone like kob should respond with when kids ask about why he plays Geno over boothe - for all we know Norm actually thinks Geno is better, I was just giving an example of how you could reason it to a recruit and still have them want to play for st. john's.