you really want a top program?? or you don't?

• 37 replies
Re: you really want a top program?? or you don't?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 02:11:28 AM »
aint noone here doing jack.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
Im gonna have to call everyones bluff here. Nobody will be heard, cause nobody is gonna say dick

There was a norm must go chant coming from behind me at the last game.

However faint, and spineless, the students are, or at least two of them did make an effort. What we really need to see, is the chant come from directly next to Norm, so he hears, and sees just how much he's hated.

That's right, I said hated. Before, I just thought he was a nice person, but now, because he's set us back so far, I truly hate him, and I don't care what happens to him after this job.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:11:25 AM by Poison »

pmg911

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »
I will say this...STJ fans are happy with this mess of a program..you all love it..Top programs dont settle for this...UNC has an off year this season, and still may make the ncaa's..The fans are shouting down Roy on his way to the arena..calling in his show..petitions..Duke newspaper writes articles to bench Singler..pisses off coach k..These programs are top notch..why??? cause the fans will not settle for less..They were chanting at the last UNC game for Roy to go...He has won 2 national championships at UNC..What do STJ fans do??? they complain on message boards..Georgetown..yes the ranked hoyas..When their beloved program was down..what did they do..The fans forced the school to make a change..That is why they are top programs..

Ask yourself this...would you go buy the same crappy burger because the owner was a nice guy?? would you go in thinking the burger would be different this time?? that is insanity..change happens when you tell the owner hey your burger sucks...or could you do this to your burger...or you dont buy the burger anymore..but STJ fans will say we cant do that because we dont want to offend anyone...well then you will get your crappy burger..cause he thinks you are enjoying it...

Welcome back SouthernJohnny

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
How did Seton Hall decide to get rid of Louis Orr?  I'm asking because I don't remember - I thought the administration just got tired of being mediocre. 

Watching the Hall vs. Pitt, that crowd was rowdy, the arena was filled... I hope St. John's looks at that and thinks, we could fill that space and more if we had something for fans to get excited about.  Seton Hall probably has a similar donation pool and fan pool to draw from.  I hope the admin takes a look at the things they're doing right.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »
Our fans or lack of fans at games do send a message. The few  thousand who go to games and cheer their team on should not be blamed. I go, I cheer, will because this is my team. I like our players even if they have faults. One day I feel (hope) i will be rewarded with a good team again.

You can call some fan bases rabid. At times they may be. At times they may delusional, embarrassing, and disgusting. Our coach is not getting the job done. This is not a secret. Even he must know it. He is not going to quit.
Fans have protested the best way they can by not going to games. Our next home game is against nationally ranked West Virginia. WV will have a much smaller following then Nova. There will be less then 7,000 people there. 3,000 will be there for WV. If the schools administration doesn't see a problem there. They won't notice 300 people screaming for Norms head.

If Norm is back. The school must have decided that it is not worth the trouble or the school can't make money from the basketball program. 

Excellent Post!
Unfortunately I am afraid your last statement will prove true.

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »

Sorry to break it to some of you but even in better times, SJU fan base was pretty lame. I have mentioned this before but I remmeber watching BE games and hearing Bill Raftery called old Alumni Hall's fans the "wine and cheese"  crowd. I remember as a kid first getting hooked on college hoops becuase of the crowds and the atmosphere I would see on tv. When I went to my first game at Alumni Hall I was shocked at how laid back and old the crowd was. This was not the craziness I had seen on TV. Grante it is 10x worse now then when I first started following the team, but our fan base has always been weak.

With all that being said, WHY IS IT THE FANS RESPONSIBILITY TO FIRE THE COACH??????? If the admin is going by results then Norm should have been fired two years ago!

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »

Sorry to break it to some of you but even in better times, SJU fan base was pretty lame. I have mentioned this before but I remmeber watching BE games and hearing Bill Raftery called old Alumni Hall's fans the "wine and cheese"  crowd. I remember as a kid first getting hooked on college hoops becuase of the crowds and the atmosphere I would see on tv. When I went to my first game at Alumni Hall I was shocked at how laid back and old the crowd was. This was not the craziness I had seen on TV. Grante it is 10x worse now then when I first started following the team, but our fan base has always been weak.

With all that being said, WHY IS IT THE FANS RESPONSIBILITY TO FIRE THE COACH??????? If the admin is going by results then Norm should have been fired two years ago!

I've never been to Alumni Hall for a game (I happened to be in NYC during Midnight Madness back in '98 and attended that event), but I can recall watching some games on tv and feeling the energy of the crowd.

For instance, I recall watching the West Virginia/St. John's game back during the '97-'98 season.  It was a big game and it was somewhat of a seesaw game before the Johnnies took control late in the game.  The crowd was electric!

I recall a game during that same season (when the Johnnies start to turn that particular season around) against a Miami team that was ranked like #24 or #25 and the Johnnies jumped on them early and that was it for the 'Canes....  The fans were great! 

I also recall a game where the Johnnies throttled Providence during the '98-'99.....  season....  Again....  The fans were great! 

Last example....  During the 2001-2002 season in a key game against the 'Canes.  The 'Canes were ranked and the Johnnies ended up winning by like 10 points.  I thought the fans really did their job that night.

Normally, the fans at Alumni Hall may sit on their hands.  But, I think if you give 'em a good product then they'll cheer and can make Alumni Hall a fairly, formidable place to play. 

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »

I've never been to Alumni Hall for a game (I happened to be in NYC during Midnight Madness back in '98 and attended that event), but I can recall watching some games on tv and feeling the energy of the crowd.

For instance, I recall watching the West Virginia/St. John's game back during the '97-'98 season.  It was a big game and it was somewhat of a seesaw game before the Johnnies took control late in the game.  The crowd was electric!

I recall a game during that same season (when the Johnnies start to turn that particular season around) against a Miami team that was ranked like #24 or #25 and the Johnnies jumped on them early and that was it for the 'Canes....  The fans were great! 

I also recall a game where the Johnnies throttled Providence during the '98-'99.....  season....  Again....  The fans were great! 

Last example....  During the 2001-2002 season in a key game against the 'Canes.  The 'Canes were ranked and the Johnnies ended up winning by like 10 points.  I thought the fans really did their job that night.

Normally, the fans at Alumni Hall may sit on their hands.  But, I think if you give 'em a good product then they'll cheer and can make Alumni Hall a fairly, formidable place to play.

Don't get me wrong, during the good times it was 10x better than it is now. And even in the bad times there was some passion such as the FIRE MAHONEY/JARVIS chants. Just saying that we were never to be confused with the Cameron crazzies or anything.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:26:50 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »

I mentioned this in the UConn game thread, but when I went to Hartford for the SJU-UConn game last week, I thought the crowd was VERY quiet.  90% of the fans there sat on their hands, students included.  As I also said, I was approached multiple times by fans that I was sitting near telling me to "pipe down", while I was saying nothing profane, just being loud. And it was close to a sellout.  Supposedly the games in Storrs produce a better environment, but I was expecting much more than what I witnessed that night in Hartford.

Just wanted to say that to put things in some perspective.  I thought a higher percentage of our student section was more active than theirs.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 04:09:22 PM »
I think posters should flood the NY Daily News Voice of the People section with letters. Take 1 day, and absolutely overwelm them with your opinions. Maybe they will aactually be put in the paper

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
I have knowingly bought a bad burger...

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »
I would like to thank Fr Harrington and AD Monasch of finally curing me of my fanatic support of St Johns mens basketball.

I wasted thousands of dollars and hours of my life on my university's basketball program. I used to own season tickets at the Garden and Alumni Hall. After I stopped subscribing, I would drive from Rockland County to both venues. I would bunker myself in my family room when games were on television, in my home office next to the radio when there was no tv coverage. Now, no more.

I spent last Saturday in Princeton watching my 10yo nephew and 12yo neice playing their games. Earlier this month, I took my wife out for dinner on her birthday even though SJU was playing that same night. The Uconn game? Visited my wife's infirmed uncle instead.

I'll still visit this site, and another, but I am done. I feel especially bad for my daughter who graduated in 2006. Her only good memories of SJU hoops was me getting excited in the late 90s and the two of us going to MSG and walking on the court at halftime during the Felipe Lopez years.

I am done.

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »
I will say this...STJ fans are happy with this mess of a program..you all love it..Top programs dont settle for this...UNC has an off year this season, and still may make the ncaa's..The fans are shouting down Roy on his way to the arena..calling in his show..petitions..Duke newspaper writes articles to bench Singler..pisses off coach k..These programs are top notch..why??? cause the fans will not settle for less..They were chanting at the last UNC game for Roy to go...He has won 2 national championships at UNC..What do STJ fans do??? they complain on message boards..Georgetown..yes the ranked hoyas..When their beloved program was down..what did they do..The fans forced the school to make a change..That is why they are top programs..

Ask yourself this...would you go buy the same crappy burger because the owner was a nice guy?? would you go in thinking the burger would be different this time?? that is insanity..change happens when you tell the owner hey your burger sucks...or could you do this to your burger...or you dont buy the burger anymore..but STJ fans will say we cant do that because we dont want to offend anyone...well then you will get your crappy burger..cause he thinks you are enjoying it...

this is a ridiculous argument...John Wooden worte in his book the reason he quit his job was because of the mentality of fans summarized by what 1 fan said to him after he had won his tenth record NCAA championship... "great job coach! this makes up for you losing it for us last year." so the point your tryin 2 make is the exact same reason why the best D1 coach in history quit his job.

btw im not sayin Norm is rite for this job and im not defending him or anything im jus arguing against hitthewindbag's point that those programs are so succesfull because of the fans. UCLA has never been as successful as it was since its fans pushed away their best coach!
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

boo3

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 07:54:45 PM »
I would like to thank Fr Harrington and AD Monasch of finally curing me of my fanatic support of St Johns mens basketball.

I wasted thousands of dollars and hours of my life on my university's basketball program. I used to own season tickets at the Garden and Alumni Hall. After I stopped subscribing, I would drive from Rockland County to both venues. I would bunker myself in my family room when games were on television, in my home office next to the radio when there was no tv coverage. Now, no more.

I spent last Saturday in Princeton watching my 10yo nephew and 12yo neice playing their games. Earlier this month, I took my wife out for dinner on her birthday even though SJU was playing that same night. The Uconn game? Visited my wife's infirmed uncle instead.

I'll still visit this site, and another, but I am done. I feel especially bad for my daughter who graduated in 2006. Her only good memories of SJU hoops was me getting excited in the late 90s and the two of us going to MSG and walking on the court at halftime during the Felipe Lopez years.

I am done.

Great post!  Unfortunately, your story is all too familiar. I used to get excited to go the garden to see a game days in advance. It used to be the highlight of the week.  now the highlight is to come on these sites and see how long it takes Dinkins to get booted from the gamechat, or see what asinine comment baldi will make next.

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »
John Wooden worte in his book the reason he quit his job was because of the mentality of fans summarized by what 1 fan said to him after he had won his tenth record NCAA championship... "great job coach! this makes up for you losing it for us last year." so the point your tryin 2 make is the exact same reason why the best D1 coach in history quit his job.
------------------------------------------------------------

wooden quit because he was a crook and he knew he'd get caught sooner rather than later.  esquire magazine basketball writer sean cunningham lists the ten dirtiest programs...and ucla was the dirtiest.  here's an excerpt...

UCLA, 1964-75: Wooden's Little Helper
"If the UCLA teams of the late 1960s and early 1970s were subjected to the kind of scrutiny Jerry Tarkanian and his players have been, UCLA would probably have to forfeit about eight national titles and be on probation for the next 100 years." Who would so slander UCLA, particularly during the era of saintly coach John Wooden? Their own legendary center, Bill Walton. Booster Sam Gilbert funneled so much money to players that NCAA probationary poster boy Jerry Tarkanian quipped, "The only team with a higher payroll was the Lakers." The NCAA didn't take action until 1981, by which point Wooden and his ten titles had been retired for six years.

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »
I too am a proud sju alum and from 96-2002 we had very good support and that was for a couple of reasons.  One, most of our players were from NY(good ones too) who brought family and friends to games which helped our attendance.  Two, we had some major recruiting names on the court. IE... Hamilton, Lopez, Turner, artest, barkley and a coach who was from the NY area(frachella).  Jarvis came and brought in more good recruits until he got lazy and killed the program.  Thirdly, we won.  That is probably most important.  We went to two BE championships(winning one), we were ranked and ranked high.

Now our school has no identity.  We are killed by the media, killed by AAU coaches and we do not win.  Our school has accepted a mediocre program because as long as we make money SJU is happy.   We are no longer going to get a top notch coach to come in because unless they get a ton of money they will not come.  Until someone comes in and changes the face of this program we are always going to be second or third tier. 

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »

I am done.

Great post!  Unfortunately, your story is all too familiar. I used to get excited to go the garden to see a game days in advance. It used to be the highlight of the week.  now the highlight is to come on these sites and see how long it takes Dinkins to get booted from the gamechat, or see what asinine comment baldi will make next.

It is widely known that Mr.Wooden stepped down because it was either that or be busted for having a booster who was paying ALL of his players...if you signed with UCLA back then you got a check...when he was approached with that, he quit...you want change....make it happen...otherwise welcome to the MAAC.

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 03:10:54 AM »

I am done.
Although I'm not an alumnus, I have similar feelings, but feel somewhat frustrated at myself for naively trusting Monasch and that priest to be good stewards of the program. Instead, they're just milking the last few drops out of the tits of a dying cow.