News Break...Post game fight in Taffner

• 69 replies
Re: News Break...Post game fight in Taffner
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
It goes hand and hand. I know the administration tries, just like Norm tries, and the effort is there but results aren't. The kids see the failure and don't respect what they're trying to do and the vicious cycle continues.

Its like the argument of you need players to win and need to win to get players. Need experience to work but can't work without experience.

I think improving facilities on campus has helped but now admission standards must be risen in order for St. John's to really improve campus life.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 12:07:37 AM »
The students have sucked for decades.
I remember seeing an empty Garden when we took on Purdue at MSG.

They all deserve a serious beating. I hope DJ landed a punch. Those useless pieces shit should have been jumped for their apathy years ago.

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 12:10:35 AM »
Haha Kid, I am home safe.  I heard about this fight also.  Disappointing, but let's remember they ARE college students and things happen in the heat of the moment.  I'm no making any excuses, and I do think if punches were thrown then suspensions should be handed out.  I don't think one heat of the moment fight makes them bad people, though.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »
Maybe Kennedy could take out Harrington, too?

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 12:35:56 AM »
What a night!

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 12:50:05 AM »
Some student talking smack on the team via Twitter...DJ calls him out....from what I hear a minor scuffle(I'm assuming scuffle means big crowd, in your face, no real punches).....Paris plays peace maker.

kob24

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 12:50:20 AM »
it wasnt a fight

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 12:52:40 AM »
I understand the frustration but let your play do the talking....Winning shuts critics up really fast. Making layups, running after loose balls, etc. Chalk this up as another learning experience.

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »
twitter is the source of this "fight"?

how lame.

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »
good to hear.  hopefully no suspensions.

last thing we need is another EXCUSE from norm :/
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 12:58:22 AM »
quite the contrary, i think. if a fight broke out, i feel like that would reflect negatively on norm.

either way. idk. we'll probably never hear the true details.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 12:59:54 AM »
If there are suspensions, this might make it clear beyond any doubt that Norm doesn't have a handle on this position.

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 05:17:19 AM »
lol dave where are u gettin all this info from??
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 06:00:42 AM »
if you're a fan and you call a player out...you should either be ready to defend yourself...or to admit you're a snatch.

why should the players get in trouble?

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »
All this fight talk got me to thinking about the early days of the BE when fighting was allowed if not encouraged. Sort of like Hockey. One of the reasons I became a huge ST John's fans was the old noon games on chanel 9 that were like a combination basketball/boxing. And this was all ok. Heck Pearl Washington punched Ewing in the stomach in front of the ref in the BE championship game and not only stayed in the game he wasn't even called for a foul. And in the middle of all this was always a tough if undersized ST John's team. Now this version of SJU is trulu awful on the court, but how would the team fare in a throwdown? Who do I feel would be the best current SJU fighter? Let's break down the scholie players in reverse order:

STITH-seems to lack any semblance of athletic ability. I think he would be the worst fighter on the team.
BOOTHE-positive is he has an extremely low center of gravity and seems to be a tough little guy.. However he is basically Frodo Baggins size and reach would be a big problem for him
MASON-wow did the apple fall far from the tree. Grew up in Memphis and his father was a millionaire so would not have the toughness of others on the team. Besides he is so injury prone his chin would def be a question mark.
HORNE-grew up on the mean streets of Delaware. Now I don't know much about Delaware other than the ugly drive through there on the way to Ocean City MD. However I can't imagine there being alot of tough kids in the water gap or Dewey Beach.
HARDY-only reason he gets ranked ahead of Horne and Mase is he is from the Bronx(has to be somewhat tough, no)
and he is my favorite player.
COKER-surprised that he is ranked here. Yes he is a big boy, but very stiff and I think you could jab him to death.
BURRELL- yes he is from the BX and yes he is a physical specimen, but does not have the motor or seemingly the will.Probably look like Marvin Hagler for a few minutes of the fight but ultimately will lose interest and just dance around aimlessly.
THOMAS- def a fighter and a tough guy. Though he lost most of his physical gifts he is still crafty. I see him being in the Bernard Hopkins mold. They are even around the same age.
LAWRENCE- lefty fighters always prove to be tough to handle and I think it is a law that all guys with cornrows are at least a little crazy.See Sprewell, Latrell. Seems to be a little doughy though so stamina might be a problem.
EVANS-huge motor and football background. Comes from a tough city that has produced a lot of great fighters. Only down side would be he is extremely undisciplined and wild. I could see him leaving an opening for a surprise knockout, but otherwise if you are going to fight him you had better pack a lunch.
KENNEDY-SURPRISED? You shouldn't be. Again lefty's are crafty and DJ is skilled so I can see him in the Winky Wright mold. IMO our best player is also our best fighter.

So even though they are terrible basketball players, I think the team would handle itself nicely in a fight. Well unless Norm was their trainer then..........
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:06:04 AM by we are sju »

pmg911

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »
I understand the frustration but let your play do the talking....Winning shuts critics up really fast. Making layups, running after loose balls, etc. Chalk this up as another learning experience.

I think their play is the source of the frustration and causing the problem. Their play stinks.

I am totally against heckling kids off the court, its just dumb.

But, if the kids were playing better the idiot students/fans that are being jerks wouldn't have anything to heckle them about.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 10:02:26 AM »
I dont think anyone has the right to heckle the athletes off the court, or single them out on the court. These guys arent professionals. When the team plays bad, aim your criticism toward the guys getting paid, namely norm roberts. Dont get on the kids.

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
After an emotional 59-50 loss to Seton Hall at Carnesecca Arena last night, St. John’s players D.J. Kennedy and Sean Evans engaged in a verbal altercation with at least one boisterous student outside of Taffner Hall, the Red Storm’s practice facility and coaches offices, The Post has learned.

St. John’s coach Norm Roberts did not immediately return a call and text message seeking comment, but spokesman Mark Fratto confirmed the altercation and said it was being handled internally. The altercation was not physical in nature.

It was a tough night for Kennedy, who was 1-for-10 from the field and took full blame for the loss. Several sources said that one fan has been extremely harsh on Kennedy during games. It is not known if that is the same student with whom Kennedy exchanged words.

Sources said that security responded quickly. Evans, who had a game-high 14 points, was with Kennedy, but Kennedy was at the flashpoint. A source said the student was the instigator.

Kennedy grew up in the tough Hill district in Pittsburgh but has never been in any trouble at St. John’s. When asked after the game his thoughts on Kennedy taking responsibility for the loss, Roberts said, "He’s my guy. They’re all my guys."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/red_storm_players_get_in_shouting_zUZ7ogDmZJkD3IXhBbpMML

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 10:10:08 AM »
Hey Lenn why don't you say you read it here :/

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 10:27:01 AM »
hmmm if it was a "verbal" altercation, i dont see either of them getting suspended for it.