SJU administration CENSORS it's students!!

• 10 replies
SJU administration CENSORS it's students!!
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:06:45 AM »
As I said in a previous thread, I wore that brown paper bag over my head for the final few minutes of the game. However, there were scattered, but not nearly loud enough "Fire Norm" and "Fire Roberts" chants.

After the game, a few members of the student section came up to me and I got to talking with them about WHY they don't join in the chants and sign making, even though they feel STRONGLY about Roberts being fired.

They said (and I've heard this before) that they are THREATENED and KICKED OUT of games by Administration and RedZone committee members if they chant things negative against the coach. They are afraid to be punished by said administration if they continue to voice their opinions.

SHAME on the St. John's personnel for limiting the freedom of speech of their students and PUNISHING them for being vocal for something they believe in!!

It's not like they're uttering something dangerous or utterly profane. Members of the administration should truly be ASHAMED of themselves!
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Re: SJU administration CENSORS it's students!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »
I chanted today and nobody came up to me, they are all talk, they would never kick anyone out for that especially if everyone is doing it.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »
If the students came to the games, they couldn't all be kicked out.
The University wants to avoid embarrassment, but that is just what they deserve.

The students aren't able to make a real impact because they're f'cking around in Taffner. It's those students that truly deserve a beatdown.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:16:46 AM »
Yup  I chanted fire Roberts today and at WVU game and nobody said anything... students just don't chant because they dont really care and are not really fans or they don't want to do it cause of the players

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:16:59 AM »
Whether they walk the walk on their threats is not a HUGE issue, what is is their threats and not allowing an atmosphere of free speech.  If a student is being profane or making a dangerous statement, thats one thing. 

Creating an environment in which students are afraid to speak their mind is unacceptable!!
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:18:25 AM »
Yup  I chanted fire Roberts today and at WVU game and nobody said anything... students just don't chant because they dont really care and are not really fans or they don't want to do it cause of the players

maybe they didnt come up to you, but ive been told by multiple people that RedZone committee members have come up to them telling them they will be banned or thrown out of games if they continue chanting "Fire Norm".  1 student tonight told me that someone got thrown out the other game for a sign they had.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:20:12 AM »
Nobody from the administration has ever told us not to chant things especially fire roberts

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 12:22:33 AM »
one of the redzone kids tried to tell me to stop one time. i told him im not going to stop, and i sure as hell aint gunna be told to stop by another student.

the kid said that he is tired of getting texts from coach q after the games telling us to stop.

i told him i dont care. its not my problem.

i think this was at the nova game.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:23:32 AM by theoffspring447 »

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 07:35:21 AM »

All should chant fire roberts. If you get thrown out, you've got a nice little editorial piece to write.  If the torch won't publish it, someone will.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 08:09:44 AM »
Here's an idea: bring the bags. Make the chant, and record it. Someone in the student section has got to have a video camera/flip camera of some kind. If anyone in security gives you trouble, get it up on YouTube. 

That will give the public more than enough time to develop the same hatred for St.John's that we all share.

These days, they have people walk through metal detectors before entering.
I've changed my mind about that one. Probably a good idea.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »
Here's an idea: bring the bags. Make the chant, and record it. Someone in the student section has got to have a video camera/flip camera of some kind. If anyone in security gives you trouble, get it up on YouTube. 

exactly.