South Florida Postgame Discussion

• 44 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
South Florida Postgame Discussion
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
Wow, Boothe was decent; Burrell was solid; Mase had a struggle to get to his 1,000th point; and South Florida played like no one had taken Dom Jones away before. Yikes!

Chat it up.  St. John's is 5-9 in the Big East.

Re: South Florida Postgame Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »
Just another reason to keep Norm around...

Poison

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 03:19:22 PM »
This game won't help Norm that much.
He needs to at the very least, make the NIT.

Marquette is tough. They'll beat us. As will Syracuse. Obviously.
Norm needs to beat Pitt at home, Depaul, and win a BE tourney game.

That would put him at 18 wins with 14 losses.
They might make the NIT with that record, but it's far from a lock.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 03:31:09 PM »
3 losses to come, most likely.  They might win one of those.  DePaul is no gimme.  And even then, they'll have a tough first round game in the Big East tournament.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »
Maybe this team has a fire under their a ss now? Take 3 out of the last 4 and make a lil run in the Big East tourny

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »
You cant get a read on this team. If they just oculd taken care of business against rutgers and the hall we d be 7-7 right now...what could have been, even after the horrid start.

xhoops

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »
Wow, Boothe was decent; Burrell was solid; Mase had a struggle to get to his 1,000th point; and South Florida played like no one had taken Dom Jones away before. Yikes!

Chat it up.  St. John's is 5-9 in the Big East.
Justin was more than solid.....he played great ! He outplayed both SF bigs combined even though he got TWO shots out of the offense that  he had to create from the 3 point line himself. It's just insane they won't get him the ball inside. If they did, he showed today he is a 20 -10 player (with  the correct amount of minutes , touches and shots). New coach please.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 04:30:22 PM »
In truth, looking at how South Florida has been in conference - opponents are shooting better than they are!  They're winning on Dominique Jones power and free throws.  I really thought they would show better today, but their defensive intensity was straight garbage.  Kudos on the win but Marco, don't get excited.  Three straight losses to come (though St. John's COULD win either Marquette or Pitt. I think both coaches are far better at preparation and motivation).

And DePaul's not necessarily a gimme.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
Maybe this team has a fire under their a ss now? Take 3 out of the last 4 and make a lil run in the Big East tourny

Motivation? Where the hell was their motivation Wednesday against a local rival? This was just an isolated game. Marquette plays hard, and smart. Like I said in September, they're going to eat us alive.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »

Motivation? Where the hell was their motivation Wednesday against a local rival? This was just an isolated game. Marquette plays hard, and smart. Like I said in September, they're going to eat us alive.

this so called "fight" happenned after the Seton Hall game right? MAybe its what the team needed to pull their unorganized a sses together? Maybe,maybe not-either way we'll find out soon enough!

Go St Johns!

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 06:17:59 PM »
I am happy we won. I said it a few times during the game chat that S. Florida Sucks worse then us. They looked awful in my opinion. I know they have played much better in prior games. But not today. If Boothe continues to play AVERAGE. If Paris and Mase HIT wide open shots. If we can get Brownlee and Hardy going. If DJ and Burell get and finish opportunities. The season is may not be over. Those are a lot of IFS. I wouldn't bet anything on Norm and company. But it would be great to compete and play meaningful games the next few weeks.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »
... But it would be great to compete and play meaningful games the next few weeks.

AMEN!

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 06:33:36 PM »
I was at the game today. It was great to see that they organize an alumni get together in Florida everytime they play so there was about 50-75 St. John's at the game today.

The crowd overall at USF was really good. They were loud, really loud, I was shocked. They really got into the game and cheered very loud anytime USF did something well. I wish Carnesecca showed 50% of the enthusiasm of USF fans.

Malik Boothe straight up drove to the hoop at ease.

DJ still seems a bit off to me. He missed guys on the break a few times but then again he finished very well around the basket too. He got cut up on his face and he was pissed about it but he played pretty solid. Also had a sick block.

Burrell's family is hilarious. I sat by all his cousins and they were awesome people. He played really well made some nice passes, went up strong, and knocked down his FT. He boxed out everyone it was great to see.

Mason has improved his defense so much. He made a few guys miss badly on shots by altering them. He jumped into passing lanes and got a few stls too. He also had one sick around the back pass that made everyone go ooooh.

Best part of the game though might have been the USF dance team wow. They just beat out WVU in my opinion for best looking. I made a few new friends here and currently in one of the girls dorms typing this up. The things I do for you guys lol.

Is this the first conference game where DJ and Paris scored in double figures?

Congrats to Mase on 1,000 points! I was there for his first and 1000th.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 06:36:06 PM »
Dave, did you hit it?

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 06:41:42 PM »
Dave, did you hit it?

Florida is a crazy place.  :D

She's out getting me food right now. Southern hospitality let me tell you.

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »
Dave, did you hit it?

Florida is a crazy place.  :D

She's out getting me food right now. Southern hospitality let me tell you.

You know what Baldi is posting next, dont you?

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 06:46:47 PM »
Oh yea listening to USF radio was fun too. They had a few memorable quotes of how this should be an easy big win. Heath said we're an athletic team who has a lot of ups and downs (no argument here). In the post game they said well at least this one wasn't close so you could ease into you disappointment at the 8 min mark. Umm, ok?!?

USF promotions was pretty cool too. They had Hooters there, they had a kiss cam which was pretty funny, and they played their local radio station on the speaker system as you walked out of the arena. That would be cool to hear Mink and Turner as you walk out of Carnesecca.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 06:47:57 PM »
haha yea right Baldi. I'm not into saving the whales.

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
Famous = Terrible

Crowd was ripping him bad. "Don't dribble" "No don't give it to him"