Outside the Lines

• 19 replies
Outside the Lines
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:30:33 PM »
Mike Francesa just said that ESPN is doing an Outside the Lines on St. John's downfall today.

Poison

Re: Outside the Lines
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
Mike Francesa just said that ESPN is doing an Outside the Lines on St. John's downfall today.

I wonder if they will apply the blame where it belongs.

boo3

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »
its official-   Rock Bottom

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:44:27 PM »
Nowhere to go but up!

Foad

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »
I wonder if they will apply the blame where it belongs.

It's all Frank Mulzoff's fault. He's the one who told Father Harrington that Al Lobalbo's toupee couldn't recruit above 125th Sreet.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
There a number of ways that ESPN do this.

They can blame Harrington, which would be the right thing to. Citing him as the chief obstacle to success on the court.

They can blame Roberts for chasing kids out, not developing talent, and not landing any of the city's top talent over a 6 year period.

They can blame the students, alumni and fans for not supporting the program. I know this has been a bone of contention since Norm got here, but the truth is, fan support has been a big problem since Lou retired. Even during the Marcus Hatten years, it was pretty empty at MSG.   

boo3

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »
I am watching Francessa now and he keeps harping on how Norm was the GUY at illinois about his great recruiting.  He is also saying that somehow Norm has lost touch w/ the AAU guys and the catholic league.   

I am going to watch the outside the lines.  I am hoping that something in that program can really pinpoint what the problem has become.  We can all blame Norm, but at some point we have to blame the kids.  Norm cant teach Evans from missing breakaway layups, he cant make free throws for kids and he cant teach missed open shots.   What we can blame Norm for is not getting the big time kids in here.  We hate his offensive system but in fact we do not have explosive players that can create their own shots.  We have a lot of good pieces this year but as good as Kennedy is you need an inside game and we do not have that.  We have to run our boring offense from 20 feet out because we can not get the ball down low. 

I hope kids are watching and say "I can be that guy" to get this program to where it needs to be.

Foad

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »
They can blame the students, alumni and fans for not supporting the program. I know this has been a bone of contention since Norm got here, but the truth is, fan support has been a big problem since Lou retired. Even during the Marcus Hatten years, it was pretty empty at MSG.

It's been a pretty steady decline since 1984

Year, total home attendance (average home attendance)

84-85 = 147K (9.9)

01-02 = 121K (8K)
02-03 = 117K (7.3K)
03-04 = 90K (6.8K)

07-08 = 94K (5.8K)
08-09 = 108K (5.4K)
09-10 = 85K (5.3K), estimate

Foad

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »
We hate his offensive system but in fact we do not have explosive players that can create their own shots.  We have a lot of good pieces this year but as good as Kennedy is you need an inside game and we do not have that.  We have to run our boring offense from 20 feet out because we can not get the ball down low. 

Norm's system is pointless because the players are not suited to it - or it's not suited to the players. It's his job to get the players into a position where they can succeed. Whereas his system gets them into a position where they can suck. The reason we don't have an inside game because the guards don't bother involving the big men. They're too busy running the weave at half court. 

Poison

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:13:30 PM »
I am watching Francessa now and he keeps harping on how Norm was the GUY at illinois about his great recruiting.  He is also saying that somehow Norm has lost touch w/ the AAU guys and the catholic league.   

I am going to watch the outside the lines.  I am hoping that something in that program can really pinpoint what the problem has become.  We can all blame Norm, but at some point we have to blame the kids.  Norm cant teach Evans from missing breakaway layups, he cant make free throws for kids and he cant teach missed open shots.   What we can blame Norm for is not getting the big time kids in here.  We hate his offensive system but in fact we do not have explosive players that can create their own shots.  We have a lot of good pieces this year but as good as Kennedy is you need an inside game and we do not have that.  We have to run our boring offense from 20 feet out because we can not get the ball down low. 

I hope kids are watching and say "I can be that guy" to get this program to where it needs to be.

Roberts kills good players. No one can be that guy if he's the coach. He's been here 6 years, and while he's struck out with a number of top recruits, no one has improved to the point of being "the guy" here.

It's clear to recruits that not only will Roberts not develop their game, but he'll probably ruin it.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »
It is on now.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
this is just about the sweater game.....

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »
They are talking about our downfall now.

Rafftery mentions the dorms, AAU situation, says we are slowly making improvements, we have hope but there is a long way to go, Norm restored credibility.

Lenn Robbins says we are very close to getting a great player and if we do, we can get back.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
Boy "close to getting a great player," I've heard that somewhere before. 

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
not much of a story. anyone on this board could have told u that. just like everything else, all SJU has is mullin, lou, and 1985. im so sick of hearing about the past.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 03:23:48 PM »
They are talking about our downfall now.

Rafftery mentions the dorms, AAU situation, says we are slowly making improvements, we have hope but there is a long way to go, Norm restored credibility.

Lenn Robbins says we are very close to getting a great player and if we do, we can get back.

What the hell is Lenn talking about? There is no one left. I think he's just making stuff up now. What a dick.

xhoops

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 06:22:47 PM »

Roberts kills good players. No one can be that guy if he's the coach. He's been here 6 years, and while he's struck out with a number of top recruits, no one has improved to the point of being "the guy" here.

It's clear to recruits that not only will Roberts not develop their game, but he'll probably ruin it.
"We have to run our boring offense from 20 feet out because we can not get the ball down low."

Why can't they get the ball down low ? 

kob24

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »

holy crap are u being serious!!! tell me u are not being serious!!! this man cant be serious

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 08:42:27 PM »
Boy "close to getting a great player," I've heard that somewhere before.
I wasn't alive during the time of the Brooklyn Dodgers, but they had an expression "Wait 'til next year."

The "close to getting a great player" line is college basketball's version of selling a lottery ticket to a poor woman or heaven to people slaving away in this life.

I spoke with Mr. Konchalski recently about that 94 class with Felipe and Zendon. I hope to live a long life, but I told him I realistically don't think I'll ever see St. John's land another class with two consensus top ten players again.