I want Mark Jackson

• 29 replies
I want Mark Jackson
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:18:31 PM »
To be the assistant coach under Jeff Van Gundy. Lets steal ESPN's NBA broadcast booth and gain some notoriety to this school. To those who say JVG would never coach college basketball well as Bob Barker would say if the price is right!

Honestly if you hook those two guys up and bring in some local AAU guys around them whoa watch out we're back on the map.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

Re: I want Mark Jackson
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
Dream scenario but why not.  I'll take it.  I'll tell you how it works out at around 1am when I pass out.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:25:02 PM »
The problem with SJU, we can only dream.  This would be awesome but just like me winning the mega millions. Super long shot!

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
The school has money. They sure as hell dish it out for a lot of programming if they'd invest some of that into the basketball program than they would be rewarded 10 fold. See Calhoun:Uconn or Pitino:Louisville or if you want private school Wright:Nova

Poison

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »
Great idea.

The University is millions upon millions of dollars in the hole.
I'm really hoping that Vitamin Water man wants a winner badly enough to help SJU pay for it.

The old guard is leaving. Not just Rutledge.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:42:06 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »
I'll take it only if we can add Mullin and Wennington as assistants and Jesus Christ as D.O.B.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »
Great idea.

The University is millions upon millions of dollars in the hole.
I'm really hoping that Vitamin Water man wants a winner badly enough to help SJU pay for it.

The old guard is leaving. Not just Rutledge.

BM?

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 03:47:17 PM »
To be the assistant coach under Jeff Van Gundy. Lets steal ESPN's NBA broadcast booth and gain some notoriety to this school. To those who say JVG would never coach college basketball well as Bob Barker would say if the price is right!

Honestly if you hook those two guys up and bring in some local AAU guys around them whoa watch out we're back on the map.

JVG would definitely bring some excitement back to St. John's.  If you combine his coaching IQ with a big time recruiting assistant, they'd have this program back in no time.  Question is how much Harrington and Monasch care about this program.  I guess we're all about to find out.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
Mike Breen would make an excelleny waterboy

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 06:33:45 PM »

JVG would definitely bring some excitement back to St. John's.  If you combine his coaching IQ with a big time recruiting assistant, they'd have this program back in no time.  Question is how much Harrington and Monasch care about this program.  I guess we're all about to find out.

My thoughts exactly.

boo3

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 06:39:40 PM »
 JVG is not coming. Mike Francessa said so. ::)

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:56:15 PM »
Dave,  during my call-in to Francesa he said he "knows" Van Gundy and he has no interest in coaching in college.  He would be in my top choices as well.  The University might as well TRY to make a call.  The worst thing he says is "no". 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
maybe if fatso donated some of his millions of dollars in salary to the program we could get a big name coach. he has no problem reminding us how much power he has and how little we have. why not throw some "weight" around. get it? get it?

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 10:24:03 PM »
He wanted Theo to donate his money but I didn't see Francessa offering any of his.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 03:33:58 PM »
The school has money.

The school does not have as much money as you think. I've been told that they are in a bad way at the moment.

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
Well the school has sunk a lot of money into facilities so I'm sure they are in debt but their income should be up with enrollment and tuition increasing. Also they spend way too much money on clubs/organizations within the school. I know my club team got close to 20k a year, I wasn't complaining as a team member because all of our trips were 100% funded and I had just as nice of uniforms/warm ups as soccer or basketball team. Any other school we played had to do their own fundrasing. I'm curious as to how much the school gives the Haraya probably the biggest organization on campus.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »
If it's just about getting players as fast as possible, hire Josh Pastner.

Kenny Payne (WWW's best friend), Kurtis Townsend, Steve Masiello, and Dalonte Hill can deliver players, but you'd have to pay them 500K+ to come to Queens as an assistant.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »
Well the school has sunk a lot of money into facilities so I'm sure they are in debt but their income should be up with enrollment and tuition increasing. Also they spend way too much money on clubs/organizations within the school. I know my club team got close to 20k a year, I wasn't complaining as a team member because all of our trips were 100% funded and I had just as nice of uniforms/warm ups as soccer or basketball team. Any other school we played had to do their own fundrasing. I'm curious as to how much the school gives the Haraya probably the biggest organization on campus.

I've been told that the retention rate is now around 75%. One out of four students do not come back for a second year. So while enrollment might be up a bit, these kids aren't staying.

The school offering a buyout package to full-time employees across all five of its campuses speaks for itself. Some big names, other than Ron Rutledge, whom have been a part of the athletic office for a long time have accepted this buyout.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »

I'll probably be criticized for saying this, but the school needs to start prioritizing what is important.  Speaking from a pure academic standpoint, the university is all over the place.  The two bread and butter programs in the school are (1) College of Pharmacy (2) School of Law.  And speaking as someone who graduated from the Tobin College of Business, I thought it was a pretty solid learning experience.  As for other programs offered, I'm unsure if they are really bringing anything in for the school.  I know for a fact that a lot of employees of the school are embarrassed by the College of Professional Studies.  This is basically an equivalent of Nassau or Suffolk Community College.  Not that there is anything wrong with NCC or SCC, but it doesn't belong at St. John's.  And I'm sure that it is draining more of the school's resources than supplementing them.

And let's face something here ... St. John's does not instill a sense of pride that a lot of other institutions do.  I work with people from out of state schools such as Duke, UNC, and Texas A&M.  And I also work with people from local schools such as NYU, Hofstra, and Binghamton.  And let me tell you they have a hell of a lot more pride in their school than SJU does.  I don't know what it is, but SJU students never really felt that connection that other students did.  Maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but at least that's what I always felt.  Now how does this relate?  I'm sorry, but if people don't feel like the school is working in your best interest, they aren't going to donate or contribute when times are tough.  Whether it be a $100 or a $5 million facility upgrade, people are hesitant to give their money to a school that never appeared to care in the first place.

If there is one thing besides basketball that the school really needs to work on, it's getting in touch with the students and prospective students down the road.  Whether it be focus groups or polls or interactive platforms, if you don't build some type of kinship, you'll label yourself permanently as a second or third rate university.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 09:20:25 PM »

I'll probably be criticized for saying this, but the school needs to start prioritizing what is important.  Speaking from a pure academic standpoint, the university is all over the place.  The two bread and butter programs in the school are (1) College of Pharmacy (2) School of Law.  And speaking as someone who graduated from the Tobin College of Business, I thought it was a pretty solid learning experience.  As for other programs offered, I'm unsure if they are really bringing anything in for the school.  I know for a fact that a lot of employees of the school are embarrassed by the College of Professional Studies.  This is basically an equivalent of Nassau or Suffolk Community College.  Not that there is anything wrong with NCC or SCC, but it doesn't belong at St. John's.  And I'm sure that it is draining more of the school's resources than supplementing them.

And let's face something here ... St. John's does not instill a sense of pride that a lot of other institutions do.  I work with people from out of state schools such as Duke, UNC, and Texas A&M.  And I also work with people from local schools such as NYU, Hofstra, and Binghamton.  And let me tell you they have a hell of a lot more pride in their school than SJU does.  I don't know what it is, but SJU students never really felt that connection that other students did.  Maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but at least that's what I always felt.  Now how does this relate?  I'm sorry, but if people don't feel like the school is working in your best interest, they aren't going to donate or contribute when times are tough.  Whether it be a $100 or a $5 million facility upgrade, people are hesitant to give their money to a school that never appeared to care in the first place.

If there is one thing besides basketball that the school really needs to work on, it's getting in touch with the students and prospective students down the road.  Whether it be focus groups or polls or interactive platforms, if you don't build some type of kinship, you'll label yourself permanently as a second or third rate university.

i agree that students dont take as much pride in SJU as other institutions. this is also reflected by the schools poor retention rate. But why would ppl be embarrassed by CPS??
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small