It comes down to this....

• 32 replies
It comes down to this....
« on: March 08, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
We win tuesday and I feel Norm will def be back. We lose and I think he is gone.

Poison

Re: It comes down to this....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:31:19 AM »
We win tuesday and I feel Norm will def be back. We lose and I think he is gone.

I bet we win.

The first half.

boo3

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »
Calhoun is benching his seniors as well.  For how long, who knows.  Is it me, or does it seem like there is a conspiracy to keep Norm here?  Even the other coaches are in on it. :)

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »
Calhoun is benching his seniors as well.  For how long, who knows.  Is it me, or does it seem like there is a conspiracy to keep Norm here?  Even the other coaches are in on it. :)

What do you mean he's benching his seniors?

boo3

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
  "The team that you saw at the end will be the team that starts Tuesday," Calhoun said after the game. The exact combination of players was left open, but it was clear that Robinson, Dyson, and Edwards would be sitting when the Big East tournament begins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/358328-coach-calhoun-fed-up-with-seniors-big-east-tournament-implications

Poison

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:42:51 AM »
  "The team that you saw at the end will be the team that starts Tuesday," Calhoun said after the game. The exact combination of players was left open, but it was clear that Robinson, Dyson, and Edwards would be sitting when the Big East tournament begins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/358328-coach-calhoun-fed-up-with-seniors-big-east-tournament-implications

That is surprising. I think it's a way of motivating his players, and I bet it works.
At least on us it works.

He could start Walker, and bunch of freshmen, and it wouldn't matter, because we're freshmen educated on the court.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 11:45:25 AM »

My guess - less than 10 mins.  We'll lose by 20.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »

My guess - less than 10 mins.  We'll lose by 20.

How bold of you :)

Foad

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »

If Calhoun is reduced to cheap parlor tricks like this to motivate his seniors he should consider hanging it up. I don't care if it works, it's sad. He was once great. This is like watching Willie Mays play CF for the Mets.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 12:07:25 PM »

If Calhoun is reduced to cheap parlor tricks like this to motivate his seniors he should consider hanging it up. I don't care if it works, it's sad. He was once great. This is like watching Willie Mays play CF for the Mets.

He went to the final four last year. Should Roy Williams hang it up to?

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:24:48 PM »
Win or lose Norm is gone.

Foad

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:31:40 PM »

I'm going to resist asking what Roy Williams has to do with anything.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »

He's saying, I think, that there isn't evidence that Calhoun has lost his coaching touch, and that Williams, much like Calhoun, is struggling to find ways to motivate a team that has turned out to be like a dead fish.  I would agree.  Coaching resort to all kinds of goofy tricks.  One trick doesn't make him over the hill.

I think the recruiting has fallen off a little for the Huskies... and if Nate Miles or Scottie Haralson could stay on the team and shoot; and if they had a big man who could be any kind of a factor (even as much as Jake Voskuhl was a factor), they wouldn't have this problem.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
Win or lose Norm is gone.

They win and he will DEF be back!Book it!

Foad

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »

He's saying, I think, that there isn't evidence that Calhoun has lost his coaching touch, and that Williams, much like Calhoun, is struggling to find ways to motivate a team that has turned out to be like a dead fish.  I would agree.  Coaching resort to all kinds of goofy tricks.  One trick doesn't make him over the hill.

I think the recruiting has fallen off a little for the Huskies... and if Nate Miles or Scottie Haralson could stay on the team and shoot; and if they had a big man who could be any kind of a factor (even as much as Jake Voskuhl was a factor), they wouldn't have this problem.

I know what he's saying. What I don't know is why we can't discuss Jim Calhoun by discussing Jim Calhoun.

Calhoun was once the best coach in college BB. He had pieces of Shrewshenski in his stool. He is no longer. If benching his seniors for 5 minutes is the best he can do to motivate them I think it's dog track time.

Recruiting wise he's been at least to some extent the victim of his own success, ie, kids leaving for the NBA.

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »

Calhoun was once the best coach in college BB. He had pieces of Shrewshenski in his stool. He is no longer. If benching his seniors for 5 minutes is the best he can do to motivate them I think it's dog track time.

Recruiting wise he's been at least to some extent the victim of his own success, ie, kids leaving for the NBA.

Faking illness to motivate wasn't sign enough that it's dog track time? (joke)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:26:02 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »

I know what he's saying. What I don't know is why we can't discuss Jim Calhoun by discussing Jim Calhoun.

That's like saying Coach K should have retired after missing a season 15 years ago.

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »

I gotta agreee with pops here. If you guys find it in your heart to root for Calhoun and Uconn, I wll be impressed

boo3

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
Rooting for Uconn is never an option.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »
Rooting for Uconn is never an option.

I can't either. As much as I have grown to despise Roberts, I despise Uconn more than any program.