St Johns/Providence comparison

• 14 replies
St Johns/Providence comparison
« on: March 11, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »
Few years ago they fire Tim Welsh and they hire the top up and comer in Keno Davis. Hes left with upperclassmen and has a pretty good year and everyone is loving him,before falling apart late in the season. Than hes left with squat and years away from the NCAA tournament. Our new up and coming coach ends up with 9 seniors hopefully hungry to get to the postseason. Than Kaput. Again,back to square 1 with 4 guys on the roster. WE need to make a big hire, Im not sure the hotshot young coach can take us where we want to be as fast as we would like. Bring in Billy the kid
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:58:24 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

Re: St Johns/Providence comparison
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
  I'd make the call, no doubt. Probably a pipe dream.  Fair comparison with regards to Providence.  We may think we are big time, but we are not anymore.  That being said, i don't think Greenberg would be considered an up and comer.

Post on BEB says that job has been offered to McCaffery (siting ESPN radio) for double his salary, but he turned it down.  i find this completely absurd on many levels.  Makes no sense.  Just thought i'd share.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
We are not Providence.  That is the hardest school to recruit to in the conference. 

A great coach can probably bring a player or two from his roster or current commits and also has inroads already to the class of 2011. 

There are some JUCO's that would love to come in to STJ in 2011 and be the man.  I think it will take at least 2-3 JUCO's.

I also believe that we land a very good transfer this year.  The new coach is under no obligation to bring back any player next year.  I think Rob Thomas will see his scholarship disappear in favor of a transfer.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:32:44 PM »
Imagine we bring in the top JUCO point and the top JUCO big to add to Omari, Q, Sith, and (possibly) Roberts.  Nice.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:16:02 PM »
Im banned for some reason from BEB, who posted that about the offer to McCaffrey?

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:23:17 PM »
Im banned for some reason from BEB, who posted that about the offer to McCaffrey?

Somebody posted that ESPN radio reported that STJ offered McCaffrey twice his salary and he turned it down.

I'm not sure I buy it yet.

boo3

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
If your banned from there you can't even read the site?  really?  What did you do now? ;)

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
If your banned from there you can't even read the site?  really?  What did you do now? ;)

I dont think anything that bad, but I know the site was having problems with spam and maybe I got lumped in. Who posted that about the offer?

boo3

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »
Redmen914  ?

Wods317

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:23 PM »
Does anyone really think that Mccaffrey was offered the job? I cant believe that actually happened because Norm isnt even gone yet and they are already making contract offers, seems doubtful. I could see them gauging interest but they need to take time and make a smart decision not rush. Maybe McCaffrey isnt interested but I doubt he was offered a deal already.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
Does anyone really think that Mccaffrey was offered the job? I cant believe that actually happened because Norm isnt even gone yet and they are already making contract offers, seems doubtful. I could see them gauging interest but they need to take time and make a smart decision not rush. Maybe McCaffrey isnt interested but I doubt he was offered a deal already.

There may have been interest expressed directly or indirectly.  That would really suck if Fran doesn't want the job.  I think he is the best fit for non-mega coaches. 

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »

There may have been interest expressed directly or indirectly.  That would really suck if Fran doesn't want the job.  I think he is the best fit for non-mega coaches.

From "soup" on the MAAC board:

"I just heard that there was a feeler put out to McCaffery's rep about any interest at little more than $1 million per and SJU was told there was none. "

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:16:49 PM »

Colleges use 3rd party search firms to put out feelers.  Gives them more flexibility to contact potential hires indirectly...who knows whether it was true in this case.  Disappointing if Mcaffrey is not interested for sure.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:56 AM »
Mccaffrey prob doesn't want all this speculation about switching schools while getting ready for the NCAA's

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »
Few years ago they fire Tim Welsh and they hire the top up and comer in Keno Davis. Hes left with upperclassmen and has a pretty good year and everyone is loving him,before falling apart late in the season. Than hes left with squat and years away from the NCAA tournament. Our new up and coming coach ends up with 9 seniors hopefully hungry to get to the postseason. Than Kaput. Again,back to square 1 with 4 guys on the roster. WE need to make a big hire, Im not sure the hotshot young coach can take us where we want to be as fast as we would like. Bring in Billy the kid

Besides Donovan or Pitino, who arent going to be the coach anyway, who is the next big name that would consider St. Johns?   You have been talking about settling from a St. Johns standpoint.  Look at it from the coaches perspective.  We cant afford either of them for the amount we are willing to offer.  And like you posted above the sitiuation isnt great for a big time coach who already has more talent. We have 9 seniors next year on a team who isnt talented enough to make a bigtime run and then we are left with nothing special.  I'd love not to "settle" but if you are willing to pay 1.6 mil a year, you kinda have to.  THat's in the range of a guy like Seth Greenberg or a successful mid major coach.