if a NIT bid somehow saves norm...

• 60 replies

Tha Kid

Re: if a NIT bid somehow saves norm...
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
seriously, all i want is a phone call to pitino/billy, thats it, it cost nothing to reach out. show some balls. with all this being said, sju would probably keep norm!

Exactly! Dont settle, go for the big name! Thats what St Johns needs, find a way to pay 1 of these guys and we're back quicker than you can fantasize about. I dont want some of the guys mentioned, its just not good enough. I'd rather have Norm for another year and see what shakes out

nothing against seth g, the man makes $850K/yr and now says we dont have the $ hes looking for if were willing to shell out 1.5M/6yrs? GARBAGE  . he aint worth it. 4ncaa appearces during a 20 yr career, no thank you

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/story.cfm/story/665578

Did anyone HEAR Seth say this?  Was he ever quoted in a story?  If not, why are you beliving the bs?

Matrco - running with norm if you cant get pitino or donovan is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded.  Why is it better to go w norm than hewitt, greenberg, willard, etc.?

Hewitts not going anywhere with this run hes on now. Do you think Greenberg is the man St Johns needs? As for Willard, he needs more experience imo,needs to win in the MAAC first. And Im a huge Willard fan.

Take a minute and dont compare any of these guys to Norm. And what do you see? Think they could hang in th e Big East with the sharks?

You have to compare EVERYTHING to Norm.  It's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded to say "if we can't improve a TON le'ts just stick with norm/"  fact of the matter is, we dont know how guys like greenberg, willard, etc. will do.  So why not give them a shot?  We know what Norm can give us, and its not good enough.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 11:37:53 PM »
seriously, all i want is a phone call to pitino/billy, thats it, it cost nothing to reach out. show some balls. with all this being said, sju would probably keep norm!

Exactly! Dont settle, go for the big name! Thats what St Johns needs, find a way to pay 1 of these guys and we're back quicker than you can fantasize about. I dont want some of the guys mentioned, its just not good enough. I'd rather have Norm for another year and see what shakes out

nothing against seth g, the man makes $850K/yr and now says we dont have the $ hes looking for if were willing to shell out 1.5M/6yrs? GARBAGE  . he aint worth it. 4ncaa appearces during a 20 yr career, no thank you

Did anyone HEAR Seth say this?  Was he ever quoted in a story?  If not, why are you beliving the bs?

Matrco - running with norm if you cant get pitino or donovan is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded.  Why is it better to go w norm than hewitt, greenberg, willard, etc.?

Hewitts not going anywhere with this run hes on now. Do you think Greenberg is the man St Johns needs? As for Willard, he needs more experience imo,needs to win in the MAAC first. And Im a huge Willard fan.

Take a minute and dont compare any of these guys to Norm. And what do you see? Think they could hang in th e Big East with the sharks?

You have to compare EVERYTHING to Norm.  It's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded to say "if we can't improve a TON le'ts just stick with norm/"  fact of the matter is, we dont know how guys like greenberg, willard, etc. will do.  So why not give them a shot?  We know what Norm can give us, and its not good enough.

Kid, you as an alumnus should want the best. Is that Greenberg,Hewiit or Willard? I'd love to have Willard, but he needs more time before he gets thrown to the wolves in the Big East. Greenberg probably wants Rutgers who is going to the Big Ten,same with McCaffrey

Tha Kid

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 11:40:01 PM »

Kid, you as an alumnus should want the best. Is that Greenberg,Hewiit or Willard? I'd love to have Willard, but he needs more time before he gets thrown to the wolves in the Big East. Greenberg probably wants Rutgers who is going to the Big Ten,same with McCaffrey

I want the BEST we can get.  Fact of the matter is the program isnt in such good shape that I think a Pitino or Donovan would ever consider us.  Hewitt, Greenberg, or yes, even Willard, might be the best we can get.  But the best is definitely better than Norm.

Now tell me why it would be beneficial to bring back Norm rather than bringing in a Greenberg, Pecora, or Willard?

Tha Kid

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 11:46:36 PM »
I wouldn't mind taking a risk on Tony Barbee at UTEP either...they have looked good even though losing to Houston today.

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
i posted this earlier...pitino specializes in making subpar programs to elite programs....we can afford him...

sometimes the most expensive decisions are the most difficult but correct ones to make. i just want 'the attempt' by the administration....

look at it from monarchs point of view. if hes wrong with the next hire, hes fired, right? so if i were him, lobby for the best. there is no dubt in my mind we can afford it. the 1.5M/6yr deal was anti $...SJU would not put this on the table with no wiggle room for negotiations...if you were bidding for something you wanted, and your budget was $100....would you start the bid @ 100? no. you would start a # where you had some more leverage.....sju has the money.

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 11:50:08 PM »

I want the BEST we can get.  Fact of the matter is the program isnt in such good shape that I think a Pitino or Donovan would ever consider us.  Hewitt, Greenberg, or yes, even Willard, might be the best we can get.  But the best is definitely better than Norm.

Now tell me why it would be beneficial to bring back Norm rather than bringing in a Greenberg, Pecora, or Willard?

It sounds like these kids want to play for Norm and made it a point to go as a team to talk to Monasch. Hewitt, I can deal with. But why would GTech pay him to leave now? Greenberg, like I said doesnt do it for me even with Adrain Autry on his staff. The ACC was down this year and hes on the bubble with 23 wins? Pecora should not even be mentioned,wtf has he down in a sh it conference with its best player? Willard and Shaheen are owning NJ,give them 1 more year and some schollys to work with, watch the Fck out

Tha Kid

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »
Why does Monasch get fired?  This will be the first bball coach he is ever allowed to hire.  St. John's sets the limits on him.  They're not going to say "why the hell did you sign greenberg over pitino" if they dont give him the dough for pitino. 

Honestly - I think my top choice which is even semi-realistic is Jeff Capel.  He'd be a steal.

Tha Kid

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Marco - if Norm stays he gets to recruit the 9 open schollies.  That just can NOT happen.  Who cares if the kids like him?  Our players are good kids...they are loyal....but they will also be good kids for their enxt coach, who is more likely to take them to the promised land.

Norm's had more than enough time and failed.  Willard might need another year or two, but coming in now he gets a veteran team to make the job a lil easier, and then he essentially has 2 years with no pressure bc people will understand norm f'd the schollies up and the team will be young.  He'd essentially have 3 seasons to get his act together.  I'd take him over Norm in a heartbeat.

Pecora would be better than Norm, it wouldn't even be close, IMO.  Norm couldn't do at Hofstra what Pecora has done.  No way.

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »
Marco - if Norm stays he gets to recruit the 9 open schollies.  That just can NOT happen.  Who cares if the kids like him?  Our players are good kids...they are loyal....but they will also be good kids for their enxt coach, who is more likely to take them to the promised land.

Norm's had more than enough time and failed.  Willard might need another year or two, but coming in now he gets a veteran team to make the job a lil easier, and then he essentially has 2 years with no pressure bc people will understand norm f'd the schollies up and the team will be young.  He'd essentially have 3 seasons to get his act together.  I'd take him over Norm in a heartbeat.

Pecora would be better than Norm, it wouldn't even be close, IMO.  Norm couldn't do at Hofstra what Pecora has done.  No way.

Keno Davis came in with a good veteran team too. KID dont settle

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2010, 08:35:49 AM »

Keno Davis came in with a good veteran team too. KID dont settle

Settling would be sticking with Norm....
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Foad

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2010, 10:34:24 AM »
pitino specializes in making subpar programs to elite programs....we can afford him...

What subpar programs has Pitino made elite? What programs has he made elite? Kentucky is the winningest program in NCAA history. Louisville is top 20 in wins and has had two national championships. Neither were subpar. And neither Providence nor BU were or became elite programs. Providence had a single good year before Pitino moved on.

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
pitino specializes in making subpar programs to elite programs....we can afford him...

What subpar programs has Pitino made elite? What programs has he made elite? Kentucky is the winningest program in NCAA history. Louisville is top 20 in wins and has had two national championships. Neither were subpar. And neither Providence nor BU were or became elite programs. Providence had a single good year before Pitino moved on.

what was the shape of the programs when he took over? prov was nowhere on the map of college basketball. he took that team to the final 4. had he stayed, prov would most likely have been more successful than its current state. kentucky, although the history was there, was coming off probation and multiple scandals and a 13-19 record before pitino coached. BU never made the ncaa tourney until pitino coached there,  you might have a pt with louisville, although he did take them to the final4 for the first time in 23 years.

maybe not 'historically subpar programs', but at that time 'currently subpar', fare enough? either way he would do wonders here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:28:28 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
If you want to consider viable coaching options for us than you have to look at cheap and cheaper.

Lou
Mahoney
Fran
Jarvis
Norm

We haven't paid top dollar for a coach EVER and probably never will. Especially not in this economic climate. Jarvis was the most we paid and it was good money for the time but not top $ for a coach back than.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »
Baldi, we really won't know how good a conference is until we see them in The REAL tournament. Va Tech and Georgia Tech could both surprise everyone next week. For all we know, Duke finally makes it back to FF.

Tha Kid

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
If you want to consider viable coaching options for us than you have to look at cheap and cheaper.

Lou
Mahoney
Fran
Jarvis
Norm

We haven't paid top dollar for a coach EVER and probably never will. Especially not in this economic climate. Jarvis was the most we paid and it was good money for the time but not top $ for a coach back than.

I'd say Jarvis was on a Greenberg level when we got him.  Hadn't he made a Sweet 16? And was in a stronger A-10 at a DC school.

Foad

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 02:52:06 PM »
maybe not 'historically subpar programs', but at that time 'currently subpar', fare enough? either way he would do wonders here.

What's fair is if you say that Pitino's a good coach, the end. He doesn't specialize in anything other than that. He doesn't make subpar programs elite because he doesn't stay anywhere long enough to and he hasn't coached at a subpar program in 20 years because he doesn't have to. Sure, he's a pretty good coach - or he used to be anyway. Now he's more of a tortured little dwarf in a stupid white Colonel Sanders suit whose raging megalomania leads him to compare his restaurant floor orgasms to nine eleven. I find him pretty repulsive and am happy that his coming here is a pipe dream. IMO only Calamari is a worse prospect.

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »
little dwarf in a stupid white Colonel Sanders suit

ha, if he came here, i would love to see him a red suit! dude has balls to wear that white suit.

Tha Kid

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »

What's fair is if you say that Pitino's a good coach, the end. He doesn't specialize in anything other than that. He doesn't make subpar programs elite because he doesn't stay anywhere long enough to and he hasn't coached at a subpar program in 20 years because he doesn't have to. Sure, he's a pretty good coach - or he used to be anyway. Now he's more of a tortured little dwarf in a stupid white Colonel Sanders suit whose raging megalomania leads him to compare his restaurant floor orgasms to nine eleven. I find him pretty repulsive and am happy that his coming here is a pipe dream. IMO only Calamari is a worse prospect.

I think it's about time you cut out your anti-Italian sentiments.  I bet Tom Izzo would be awful too huh

Foad

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »
I think it's about time you cut out your anti-Italian sentiments.

Suffer me my anti-Italian sentiments: my mother was a Tamburrino, out of a Gragnano mare.

I bet Tom Izzo would be awful too huh

Izzo is one of the top two or three coaches in college basketball. He wouldn't touch Saint John's with a ten foot pollack.

Tha Kid

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
I think it's about time you cut out your anti-Italian sentiments.

Suffer me my anti-Italian sentiments: my mother was a Tamburrino, out of a Gragnano mare.

I bet Tom Izzo would be awful too huh

Izzo is one of the top two or three coaches in college basketball. He wouldn't touch Saint John's with a ten foot pollack.

Someone's gotta keep you honest.