V TECH

• 59 replies
Re: V TECH
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
VTECH runs the weave too

Though not mY first choice, Greenberg's lifetime record is 343-262 and he team averages 73 ppg in th ACC.

Norm's career record is 105-174 and hois team averaged 67.2 which actually constituted an improvement.

Basically any candidate you want to belitttle will have a better resume than Norm!

Ya think Greenberg can have SJU consistently in the top 5 of the Big East?

I think he can consistently have us on the NCAA tourney radar which is all I ever asked. And anybody would run a more pleasing offense.

Does he have Va Tech consistently on the NCAA tourny radar? I have no idea

15-14
16-14
14-16
22-12
21-14
19-15
23-7
2 NCAA's including this season and 3 NIT's
If Norm compiled this, not everyone would be esctatic but his job would never be in danger and none of these conversations would be taking place.

ncaa may not be a lock...rutgers can have him...after losing to the last seed miami in the acc tourny, his offense and coaching isnt worth 1.5M/yr. i say shorten the contract and double the pay to 3M/3yrs and get a game changer here
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:31:03 PM by buckeyestorm »

kob24

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
DURAND #$%^ING SSSSSSSCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT. man omari needed to play this year seriously yall have no idea how nice he can be. its #$%^ing criminal.

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 04:34:04 PM »
Sounds like St Johns can afford him. But for some reason, I dont feel the buzz for this guy. St Johns need to make a big hire and create some attraction to the school. Is this guy it?
Seth Greenberg isn't a big hire. Nobody would be afraid of him, if Rutgers or some other also-ran program decided to hire him tomorrow. He's got Bobby G.'s "Us against the World" approach and he's been a .500 coach in the ACC.

The standards have dropped a lot in the past decade at Saint John's, but I don't think people would be satisfied with making potentially two NCAA tournaments in seven years or his notoriously easy out-of-conference schedule. Is he a step up from Norm Roberts? Absolutely, but I don't think the fans view that as the long-term standard.

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
Sounds like St Johns can afford him. But for some reason, I dont feel the buzz for this guy. St Johns need to make a big hire and create some attraction to the school. Is this guy it?
Seth Greenberg isn't a big hire. Nobody would be afraid of him, if Rutgers or some other also-ran program decided to hire him tomorrow. He's got Bobby G.'s "Us against the World" approach and he's been a .500 coach in the ACC.

The standards have dropped a lot in the past decade at Saint John's, but I don't think people would be satisfied with making potentially two NCAA tournaments in seven years or his notoriously easy out-of-conference schedule. Is he a step up from Norm Roberts? Absolutely, but I don't think the fans view that as the long-term standard.

Long term standards? Some of you guys are living in a dream world! Let us review the coaching hires since Louie left:
Mahoney-asst coach with losing record as head coach of Manhatten College
Fran-Manhatten College coach
Jarvis-GW coach
Norm-asst coach with horrendous head coaching record at Queens College.

What are you guys expecting????????
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:48:28 PM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »

Isn't it possible that a good coach could come to NY, and excel?
It must be hard to recruit to Virginia Tech when you're going up against
storied programs like Duke and UNC.

St.John's is competing with wide open spaces. He'd have something unique to sell here.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 04:56:58 PM »

Long term standards? Some of you guys are living in a dream world! Let us review the coaching hires since Louie left:
Mahoney-asst coach with losing ecord as head coach of Manhatten College
Jarvis-GW coach

Fraschilla was about as hot as any mid-major coach in the country. He had beaten Oklahoma in the NCAA Tournament, won the NABC Coach of the Year, and had excellent ties to NY's CHSAA.

Jarvis had already taken two programs to NCAA Tournaments, including GW to four of them and managed a Sweet 16 along the way.

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »

Mahoney-asst coach with losing ecord as head coach of Manhatten College
Jarvis-GW coach

Fraschilla was about as hot as any mid-major coach in the country. He had beaten Oklahoma in the NCAA Tournament, won the NABC Coach of the Year, and had excellent ties to NY's CHSAA.

Jarvis had already taken two programs to NCAA Tournaments, including GW to four of them and managed a Sweet 16 along the way.

Again Mid Major's, we are not getting Donovan, Miller, Pitino's though 

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »

St.John's is competing with wide open spaces. He'd have something unique to sell here.

The recruiting job isnt going to be any easier  here
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:05:06 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »
Donovan (longshot, but I'd love to have him).

this isnt a long shot. its not happening. there is no chance donovan will coach here.

he makes $3.5 mill  a year. we cannot come close to that. and he wont take less to come to new york, hometown guy or not.

pitino is in the same boat here.

we dont have the money to get a top name coach.

mid major is the only route we'll be able to afford. so...that being said, we really need to  make a smart hire in this situation.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:09:36 PM by theoffspring447 »

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 05:08:15 PM »

I think it's possible to win big at St. John's, but they'd have to hire a head coach that can open doors locally and nationally. He'd also have to have a significant budget for his staff to surround himself with a mix of veteran assistants and hungry ones anxious to get in gyms and be able to sell kids on the new head coach and the new St. John's program. The 2011 and 2012 kids were in grammar school the last time this program was relevant. It's been synonymous with mediocrity for the past decade.

It's hard to recruit against North Carolina and Duke (as well as Wake Forest and Georgia Tech), but Syracuse is recruiting about as strong as they ever have. UConn, Villanova, Louisville, Pitt, Marquette, and Georgetown are always on the road. Is the next head coach going to be able to get a kid to pick St. John's over these programs?

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »

I think it's possible to win big at St. John's, but they'd have to hire a head coach that can open doors locally and nationally. He'd also have to have a significant budget for his staff to surround himself with a mix of veteran assistants and hungry ones anxious to get in gyms and be able to sell kids on the new head coach and the new St. John's program. The 2011 and 2012 kids were in grammar school the last time this program was relevant. It's been synonymous with mediocrity for the past decade.

It's hard to recruit against North Carolina and Duke (as well as Wake Forest and Georgia Tech), but Syracuse is recruiting about as strong as they ever have. UConn, Villanova, Louisville, Pitt, Marquette, and Georgetown are always on the road. Is the next head coach going to be able to get a kid to pick St. John's over these programs?

agreed. we cant use our name to get players anymore. too many years of irrelevance. we need a coach that can coach, and a good staff. rebuild the pipelines and reputation. this is a pivitol time for out program.
a few more years of mediocrity, and no one will remember st. johns winning.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:13:58 PM by theoffspring447 »

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »
They are a NIT team this year with 7 juniors and seniors. Sound familiar?

boo3

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »

everything except the NIT part.

boo3

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »
 Please guys, lets not write off Greenberg after one game. Probably the only game of his most of you watched all year.  It makes you look silly.   Va Tech was 23-8 this year, and the 4th seed in their conference tourney. They lost because their best player, and the ACC leading scorer, shot 3-15 and 0-8 from three.
  Comparing him to Norm is laughable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:46:56 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »

everything except the NIT part.

We'd be in the NIT if we were in the ACC too ;)

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »
Please guys, lets not write off Greenberg after one game. Probably the only game of his most of you watched all year.  It makes you look silly.   Va Tech was 23-8 this year, and the 4th seed in their conference tourney. They lost because their best player, and the ACC leading scorer, shot 3-15 and 0-8 from three.

thats fair, but I dont think this guy is the savior, We go from 1 guy who cant get in the tourny to another

boo3

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »

thats fair, but I dont think this guy is the savior, We go from 1 guy who cant get in the tourny to another

So , you don't like Fran because he doesn't shake hands.  You don't like Seth because he's not a savior. Please, enlighten us, who do you want to be coach?  Give us your top 3. 

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »

So , you don't like Fran because he doesn't shake hands.  You don't like Seth because he's not a savior. Please, enlighten us, who do you want to be coach?  Give us your top 3.

Billy Donovan
Billy Donovan
Billy Donovan

boo3

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »

Billy Donovan
Billy Donovan
Billy Donovan

He'd be my 1st phone call as well.  But Donovan make 3.5 mill a year. We aren't going to touch that number.  Next?

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »

Billy Donovan
Billy Donovan
Billy Donovan

He'd be my 1st phone call as well.  But Donovan make 3.5 mill a year. We aren't going to touch that number.  Next?

Ben Howland
John Beilin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:08:46 PM by Marco Baldi »