St. John's wants Donovan, but it's a longshot [NY Post]

• 16 replies
St. John's wants Donovan, but it's a longshot [NY Post]
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »
It seemed like a pipe dream, and at the end of the day Florida coach Billy Donovan almost surely will opt to keep the idyllic lifestyle and exceptional job he has in Gainesville.

But at least the former Providence star from Long Island has listened to the possibility of becoming the next St. John's coach.

Sources told The Post that Donovan talked to a St. John's supporter late Friday and was intrigued by what he heard. Whether it's enough to lure Billy the Kid away from his $3.5 million job at Florida, where he's won two national titles, remains to be seen.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/storm_brews_for_billy_jhhGJfFzOgqb3mqqw0hfuL#ixzz0ioUAoIAX

Looks like Baldi contacted Donovan last night. :o
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: St. John's wants Donovan, but it's a longshot [NY Post]
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:27:25 AM »
"For a coach of Donovan's status, the numbers could go higher. Because the money mostly will come from the private sector, it will not interfere with university's mission of developing a campus for a national student body."

Hopefully Monasch can find a way to get us to the bigtime.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »
Let's hope OldRed/Scotch/DJRed didn't get Donovan's phone number and is going to hold him hostage til he says Yes!
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
If they get him the garden sells out immediately, recruits come. No brainer give himv4.5 million and lets get this thing moving. St. John's has the boosters and the alumni to get the money. We all know this. It is a matter if the administration is finally ready to commit to winning and paying for it. No disrespect, but Carnesecca and the old guard have to be left out of the loop. Stranger things have happened. You never know. One thing people will have to keep in mind as well is that there are no stud recruits in NYC for 2012. Will have to go out of state for studs.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »
2011 is the year with all the schollies available.

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »
yeah how many schollies will be avail in 2012?  0 right since Quincy redshirted?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
correct. I meant 2011.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
The new coach doesn't have to use all the scholarships available in 2011.  We need to start spacing them out among classes so we don't have this huge build-up of openings in one class.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
It seemed like a pipe dream, and at the end of the day Florida coach Billy Donovan almost surely will opt to keep the idyllic lifestyle and exceptional job he has in Gainesville.

But at least the former Providence star from Long Island has listened to the possibility of becoming the next St. John's coach.

Sources told The Post that Donovan talked to a St. John's supporter late Friday and was intrigued by what he heard. Whether it's enough to lure Billy the Kid away from his $3.5 million job at Florida, where he's won two national titles, remains to be seen.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/storm_brews_for_billy_jhhGJfFzOgqb3mqqw0hfuL#ixzz0ioUAoIAX

Looks like Baldi contacted Donovan last night. :o

The time is now.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »
Excuse my ignorance because i'm a new fan to the team but did St. John's lose scholarships for recruiting violations or something? Just curious because of the way you guys were talking above.

Donovan already won two national titles with Florida, why not take on a new challenge? If he came here and rescued this school, he would be an instant legend. I think we could lure him here with the right offer and circumstances.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
I don't think a new coach renews Rob Thomas' scholarship.  He might be one of as many as three players that won't see their 'ships renewed.  Just my opinion, but it is a fact that coaches
are under no obligation to renew.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 03:12:02 PM »
I hope that's not the case.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »
I don't think a new coach renews Rob Thomas' scholarship.  He might be one of as many as three players that won't see their 'ships renewed.  Just my opinion, but it is a fact that coaches

Why wouldn't they renew a senior's scholarship?  ::)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
I wouldn't doubt if Stith was forced out and the new coach brought in a JUCO point guard.

sjd8886

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »
If they get him the garden sells out immediately, recruits come. No brainer give himv4.5 million and lets get this thing moving. St. John's has the boosters and the alumni to get the money. We all know this. It is a matter if the administration is finally ready to commit to winning and paying for it. No disrespect, but Carnesecca and the old guard have to be left out of the loop. Stranger things have happened. You never know. One thing people will have to keep in mind as well is that there are no stud recruits in NYC for 2012. Will have to go out of state for studs.

yea, no joke man, privately st johns has the money to hire a big name...make it happen monasch...if he hires pecora i think we should all go to campus and call for his head

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
There is no way Rob Thomas looses his scholarship. His story was on ESPN. Can you imagine the negative pub the school and program would get putting someone who overcomes being essentially illiterate to almost graduating to the curb? Not happening.

sjd8886

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »

Why wouldn't they renew a senior's scholarship?  ::)

yea, thats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded lol, also, i had an athletic scholarship in college, and unless basketball is unique to other sports in some way, you cant just not renew a scholarship bc u want to clear room...a scholarship is basically a two way contract between the school and the student, and if the student is upholding his end of the scholarship (academically and athletically) u cant take it away...coaches who want to clear room will sit down with a kid and ask him to leave, and the kid does usually bc if ur coach tells u that ur not gonna get any playing time and he doesnt want u on the team, its usually not a good choice to stay lol...and in case some dont know by daves sarcastic response, seniors scholarships are the ones coaches offer to hs players, bc they become available when the senior graduates or leaves, and the hs player is coming in...if u cut rob thomas next year, hypothetically lol, all ur doing is leaving us a player short...whether he plays or not does not affect any scholarship situation