Quick question for you ppl

• 20 replies
Quick question for you ppl
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:39:52 PM »
a friend of mine is an incoming freshman and is interested in trying out as a walk-on. Anybody have an idea of how to go about doing this. Who should he contact/ by when/ what to expect? Appreciate the help

Re: Quick question for you ppl
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:13:15 PM »
a friend of mine is an incoming freshman and is interested in trying out as a walk-on. Anybody have an idea of how to go about doing this. Who should he contact/ by when/ what to expect? Appreciate the help
It might help to first accumulate a GPA in the upper stratosphere to help boost the team's academic profile.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 04:14:31 PM »
It might help to first accumulate a GPA in the upper stratosphere to help boost the team's academic profile.

i believe his GPA is in the 3.4-3.5 range....not sure but he is a smart kid

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »

I'm a sophomore, but when I was a freshman they sent out an e-mail in September or October saying there were open tryouts for walk-ons.  None of the walkons graduated last year so I don't think they had tryouts this year but I know one of the walkons this year graduated.  He may want to contact the athletic department though.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:38:46 PM »

I'm a sophomore, but when I was a freshman they sent out an e-mail in September or October saying there were open tryouts for walk-ons.  None of the walkons graduated last year so I don't think they had tryouts this year but I know one of the walkons this year graduated.  He may want to contact the athletic department though.

alright...im sorry but as a freshman i meant his first year at st. johns...he went to a community college his first two years and is actually going to be a junior.  i said freshman because its his first year...will this have an effect on him? and STJ back to your response...when should he contact them by? and you know of any specific person? if not thats fine

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
What he gets at St. John's is all that counts.

All of the walk-ons knew how to play basketball but of late most of them are reminiscent of players you'd see out on the court in the 1950's.

Question - who was the last walk-on at St. John's to make a memorable contribution to the team?

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 04:43:18 PM »

All of the walk-ons knew how to play basketball but of late most of them are reminiscent of players you'd see out on the court in the 1950's.

Question - who was the last walk-on at St. John's to make a memorable contribution to the team?

true but he still has to make the team....he is just curious as to who he should speak to, by when, so he could get that opportunity.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »

alright...im sorry but as a freshman i meant his first year at st. johns...he went to a community college his first two years and is actually going to be a junior.  i said freshman because its his first year...will this have an effect on him? and STJ back to your response...when should he contact them by? and you know of any specific person? if not thats fine

Nah transferring from a community college won't hurt him I don't think.  The kid who graduated as a walkon went to a different college and then transferred here.  But I would contact one of the athletics secretaries and they should direct you to someone.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »

Nah transferring from a community college won't hurt him I don't think.  The kid who graduated as a walkon went to a different college and then transferred here.  But I would contact one of the athletics secretaries and they should direct you to someone.

alright appreciate the help errrbody...thank you

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 04:46:23 PM »

Phil Missere?

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »

Phil Missere?
Agree. Who before that?

Moose

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »

Phil Missere?
Agree. Who before that?

Andre Stanley
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »
one more question....he wants to know if monasch would be the right direction to go to or the basketball secretary? or compliance?

sjd8886

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 05:53:39 PM »

Phil Missere?

there was a lot of memorable contributions in that time in general...special thanks to mike jarvis, slick willie shaw, marcus "legalize it" hatten, grady "my nickname for him isnt appropriate for this site" reynolds , elijah "i was a mcdonalds all american and ironically thats where im going to be working the rest of my life" ingram, abe "$$$" keita, and everyone else who helped, or contributed to, putting together a team of gangsters and degenerates coached by a degenerate %$#hole

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »

Phil Missere?
Agree. Who before that?

Andre Stanley
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
He should contact the coach immediately to let him know that he's interested in becoming a walk on. They can set up a meeting and possibly work out with the guys over the summer. You'd like to be a walk-on well before the walk-on "tryouts"

Not to say its impossible to go to tryouts and make the team but often the team is already filled by the time these tryouts take place.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
He should contact the coach immediately to let him know that he's interested in becoming a walk on. They can set up a meeting and possibly work out with the guys over the summer. You'd like to be a walk-on well before the walk-on "tryouts"

Not to say its impossible to go to tryouts and make the team but often the team is already filled by the time these tryouts take place.

so i should give him lavin's email??

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »
lavins@stjohns.edu

or call the basketball office.

snail mail works too! Good old Post Office. Send resume and game film.

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »
Thanks Moose and Dave - agree - Andre Stanley. Great story about him getting up at the crack of dawn to get to practice on time.

gonzalo

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »

Last season link:

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091708aac.html