NEWS BREAK! Lavin Slays His First Dragon- Tony Chiles [JohnnyJungle.com]

• 55 replies
Everyone has been on the edge of their seats waiting for Steve Lavin to assemble his “Dream Team” staff. Lavin will name his first assistant coach. Continue Reading

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:00:31 AM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Great hire! He helped Ruland land the talent at IONA and brought NYC talent to Philly and Drexel!

Marillac

Dave, it is Columbia not Colombia :)  Colombia is a country.  Columbia is my alma mater.

I'm not too thrilled with this hire.  I don't think it is a bad hire at all, but it wasn' a part of my dream team.  I think this knocks out either J-Will or Grasso if not both.

Poison

Wow, he helped make Drexel a half way decent team.
What are we missing here?

Dave, it is Columbia not Colombia :)  Colombia is a country.  Columbia is my alma mater.

I'm not too thrilled with this hire.  I don't think it is a bad hire at all, but it wasn' a part of my dream team.  I think this knocks out either J-Will or Grasso if not both.

Why is everyone high on Grasso?

Y'all should be thrilled.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

I am for sure. This guy carried Ruland at IONA

He wasn't the guy who I was initially looking for when hiring out assistants, but I'll give him a chance.  I hope Lavin follows up this hire with Slice and Dunlap. 

Tell us what you know about Chiles, Choz?

Welcome aboard, Chiles!

Thanks for the input Choz.

I thought it was best to go with NY guys already in the college ranks.  Sounds good to me.

Welcome aboard Mr. Chiles!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Thanks for the input Choz.

I thought it was best to go with NY guys already in the college ranks.  Sounds good to me.

Welcome aboard Mr. Chiles!

Daily News article states Rohrssen will speak with STJ on Tues or Wednes.

boo3

i know nothing about this guy.  I will trust your opinions that this is a good hire.

Moose

Isn't St. John's also your alma mater? :D
Remember who broke the Slice news

Tha Kid

Thanks for the scoop Dave.  This was a little false advertising to me though.  Slaying dragon is usually reserved for a huge get - I assumed Leitao or Slice signed on.  Great get, but let's save the dragons for beating Cuse, Uconn or signing a McD AA....
"I drink and I know things"

mkras99

Thanks for the scoop Dave.  This was a little false advertising to me though.  Slaying dragon is usually reserved for a huge get - I assumed Leitao or Slice signed on.  Great get, but let's save the dragons for beating Cuse, Uconn or signing a McD AA....

Drexel is the Dragons.

to be honest, this really doesn't excite me very much...

He wasn't the guy who I was initially looking for when hiring out assistants, but I'll give him a chance.  I hope Lavin follows up this hire with Slice and Dunlap. 

Welcome aboard, Chiles!

A stand up brother who know NYC as well as anybody. Strong, strong ties at all the power programs cause he is a CHSAA product thru and thru and been recruitin hard fo like 10 years. Dont think there is a coach in the city who dont like him. Mo loves him. Gettin serious endorsements. Got taken down at Iona in the most unfair of situations but unlike some, he got hisself the dignity to move on and not throw stones, though he have evry right to. No disrpct to Bruiser, but I mean he's sellin Drexel and the NYC players is flowin down there. What that tell y'all?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:38:35 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

Welcome aboard, Chiles!

A stand up brother who know NYC as well as anybody. Strong, strong ties at all the power programs cause he is a CHSAA product thru and thru and been recruitin hard fo like 10 years. Dont think there is a coach in the city who dont like him. Mo loves him. Gettin serious endorsements. Got taken down at Iona in the most unfair of situations but unlike some, he got hisself the dignity to move on and not throw stones, though he have evry right to. No disrpct to Bruiser, but I mean he's sellin Drexel and the NYC players is flowin down there. What that tell y'all?

Ahh.  Is this the guy you alluded to a week or so ago.  you said "follow the players, and you'll see what i mean"  ?   

peter

• Rumble in the Garden

Thanks for the info.  When I saw this, I assumed that since others say he's NY connected, he must have gotten the job by NOT being polarizing.  And the talent that Iona had under Ruland - the Burtt Jr/ Solliver/ Wachsmann/ McCullough team - was very NY-centric.  So you think he'll be able to bring in the bigger names to St. John's? 

How are his player development skills?

Great hire! He helped Ruland land the talent at IONA and brought NYC talent to Philly and Drexel!
Marco, could you kindly elaborate on this? Thanks.

Isn't St. John's also your alma mater? :D
Columbia always gets the ladies. ;)
Perhaps, he means SIPA or TC for a little extra grad work

I don't think any potential candidates will be concerned about Bruiser's second assistant getting the STJ gig, if that's what Marillac is concerned about. As for Chiles, it puts him in a good position for when Coach Jones eventually gets canned.