No dice with Slice [NY Post]

• 21 replies
No dice with Slice [NY Post]
« on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:31 AM »
Rohrssen won't leave Jaspers to join Lavin

By LENN ROBBINS

Posted: 3:30 AM, April 6, 2010

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/rohrssen_won_leave_jaspers_to_join_JxKZaaLwCb1FBExyJvTWFK

INDIANAPOLIS -- Steve Lavin was hoping his full-bore search for a dream-team staff would be finalized last night. But the new St. John's coach's last pitch to lure Barry Rohrssen from Manhattan was rebuffed.

Lavin and Rohrssen watched last night's NCAA championship game, but Rohrssen, who is respected and trusted by every program in the city, opted to retain his head-coaching job with the Jaspers.

Earlier in the evening Lavin welcomed former Iona and Drexel assistant Tony Chiles, one of the classiest players ever to come out of the city. Chiles played at All Hallows and Columbia, where he still holds the school's single-game assist record.

Lavin tomorrow is expected to bring in former Arizona and Oregon assistant Mike Dunlap, who is considered one of the sharpest X's and O's guys in the business. Dunlap led Division II Metro State in Denver to the 2000 and 2002 national championship.

Lavin also will interview Hofstra assistant Van Macon and former St. John's assistant Kimani Young, who runs the New Heights AAU program. Young is also under consideration for a spot on Tom Pecora's staff at Fordham. He could be a pivotal player in the city recruiting battles.

Unable to convince Rohrssen to leave Manhattan, Lavin likely will turn to current Arizona assistant Emanuel "Book" Richardson.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:00:15 PM by Dave »

Re: No dice with Slice.....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:44:53 AM »
Would have been nice but not the end of the world. With Chiles, Dunlap, Laiteo(?) and say Richardson. SJU would be hard to stop on the recruiting trail.

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »
If true, this sucks.  Hopefully we can get Book, otherwise it looks like Van Macon, right?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »
Not sure why because I live in Jersey and have no connection to any AAU teams, but I would like Kimani Young as the 3rd assistant.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »
I hope this another jump-of-the-gun, as I really wanted Slice.  But, I think Book Richardson would be a heckuva consolation prize, if Lavin was able to lure him from the desert. 

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »
Not sure why because I live in Jersey and have no connection to any AAU teams, but I would like Kimani Young as the 3rd assistant.

Kimani is not being looked at for an assistant position.  He'd probably take over as the DOBO or a similar role. 

Re: No dice with Slice.....[NY Post]
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
Huge loss not closing the deal on Slice

Lavin's first L

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »

Kimani is not being looked at for an assistant position.  He'd probably take over as the DOBO or a similar role.

Kimani had his chance and walked away from Sju. I know he had some personal problems at the time but I thinks it's best to go in another direction. I've also read a few posts about him badmouthing the program. Next!

Have to get 'Book' richardson. If steve-o gets him aboard he sure is one hell of a recruiter. :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:50:33 PM by redmen75 »

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:02:27 PM »
Huge loss not closing the deal on Slice

Lavin's first L

A loss, yes.

A huge loss, no.

Slice, despite the babble in the media, was a longshot to start. He is already a head coach, makes comparable money and has his best recruiting class coming in next year.  The only reason he even thought about it was because he's buds with steve-o and is a life-long SJU fan.

I'm betting lav will be able to overcome this huge loss quite nicely. ;)

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »
This sucks. I guess we turn to book now.  If we don't get Book, it could be a huge drop to the next candidate. 

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »

Kimani had his chance and walked away from Sju. I know he had some personal problems at the time but I thinks it's best to go in another direction. I've also read a few posts about him badmouthing the program. Next!

Have to get 'Book' richardson. If steve-o gets him aboard he sure is one hell of a recruiter. :D

Lets make something clear. Kimani is a great guy and I have a lot of respect for him. He never bad mouthed St. John's so lets get the record straight on that.

He said some positive things about Villanova which got twisted into slighting St. John's. I had direct quotes from Kimani after Zags reported it and Kimani made it clear that St. John's was a great school but for Pinkston personally Villanova was a better fit for him. There is nothing wrong with that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »
would having kimani as DOBO along with chiles and book as assistants be to ny oreinted?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
I think Slice was a lot of media hype. From what I heard Lavin was talking to coaches saying join Leitao and I when pitching them. This was last week or so but I haven't even heard Leitao's name recently either.

I think a lot of early names rumored have been pushed aside because there has been such great interest in assistants coming here because of the $$$ being offered.

pmg911

Re: No dice with Slice [NY Post]
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »
My boy, and quite a few others, we dead wrong on this one.

They told me last night it was a done deal.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »
would having kimani as DOBO along with chiles and book as assistants be to ny oreinted?

I think so .  Who are we even recruiting in NYC for 2011?  There isn't a single uncomitted player from NYC in the top 100. 

New Jersey is where it's at for 2011. 

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »

So Slice will be a Johnnie?

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »

I think so .  Who are we even recruiting in NYC for 2011?  There isn't a single uncomitted player from NYC in the top 100. 

New Jersey is where it's at for 2011.

Jabari Hinds, Sterling Gibbs, Angel Nunez...

Also Mike Taylor and Jermaine Sanders is out there too.

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »

So Slice will be a Johnnie?

Hey Dave. . tell Marillac to stop picking on me...   WAAHHHHHHH :'( :'( :'(

What will I do now now..  Ohh..  maybe I will run out to Kentcuk y and start a horse farm with all the money I made investing in the market..

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
Seriously.  Post like grownups.  I'll turn this thread right around, you two!  Don;t make me come back there!

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
WTF?  I asked you a straight-forward question.  Keep the personal attacks coming..they don't bother me.  Knock Kentucky all you want....sorry for not wanting to live within a 15 mile radius of my entire life.