Rico Hines - To be third assistant? [NY. POST]

• 16 replies
Rico Hines - To be third assistant? [NY. POST]
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »
Lavin staff getting full

By LENN ROBBINS

Posted: 4:17 AM, April 8, 2010

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/lavin_staff_getting_full_TBrpv94RpBxQJtxU7o53nJ

St. John's coach Steve Lavin could have his staff in place by the end of the week, sources told The Post. Lavin will name his long-time friend and former UCLA assistant Rico Hines as an assistant. Lavin spent yesterday with former Arizona and Oregon assistant Mike Dunlap. The two will meet again with Lavin hoping Dunlap, a great X's and O's guy, will come on board.

If Dunlap opts not to come, former Villanova star Ed Pinckney of The Bronx would be an option. Lavin also is looking at former Fairfield coach Tim O'Toole and Houston assistant Jerry Hobbie, who began his coaching career as an assisant at Fordham.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:18:02 PM by Dave »

Tha Kid

Re: Rico Hines - third assistant hired.(NY. POST)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:26 AM »

Hines seems like a great guy but hopefully its for the DOBO position and not as an assistant.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
Think it is interesting that both Mike Dunlap and Rico have NBA experience, that may be a selling item for new recruits.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:59:48 AM »
Anybody know if he is going to be DOBO or 3rd assistant?

I thought he might be going after a young local for that...maybe he has set his sights on Book for the other assistants spot to bring in another local? 

Maybe Jay Williams for 3rd assistant to help us in New Jersey?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:45:21 PM »
Think it is interesting that both Mike Dunlap and Rico have NBA experience, that may be a selling item for new recruits.

Very true.  Lavin has already produced seven NBA players--at least one at every position. 

He can sell recruits on the fact that Rico has worked with players during college, between college and the draft, and with pro players.  He has helped guys get drafted.  He has helped NBA players like Baron Davis get better. 
Dunlap was the director of player development for an NBA team.  If you are a recruit with an eye on the NBA...does it get any better?

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
First thing I'd do if I were Lavin is have someone assemble a video of comments from George Karly, Carmelo Anthony, Baron Davis, Matt Barnes, etc about how influential Hines and Dunlap were to them.  Show it to every reruit that comes through the door.  If a video is too much, then a list of quotes would do.

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »
First thing I'd do if I were Lavin is have someone assemble a video of comments from George Karly, Carmelo Anthony, Baron Davis, Matt Barnes, etc about how influential Hines and Dunlap were to them.  Show it to every reruit that comes through the door.  If a video is too much, then a list of quotes would do.

About Lavin..   Baron Davis is NOT a fan...   he has been quoted as sayiing something along the lines of. . "I became the first Lottery pick not have had a real coach in collge."

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
The quote was this:

Talking about his own time with the Bruins, he took a swipe at Marin native Steve Lavin, saying, “We should have a banner up there: the only team to make the tournament without a coach.”

Also Rico Hines and Matt Barnes played together and got into a publicized fight.  I think Barnes hit him with a metal chair.  I don't think Hines ever coached UCLA.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
Actually, Hines hit Barnes in the head.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:17:03 PM »

About Lavin..   Baron Davis is NOT a fan...   he has been quoted as sayiing something along the lines of. . "I became the first Lottery pick not have had a real coach in collge."

Newsday has an article out today with positive Baron Davis quotes about Steve Lavin and St. John's.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Rico Hines - To be third assistant? [NY. POST]
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
I changed the title of this thread to not confuse anyone that he is actually hired and that its just a rumor at this point.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »
I would think there are better available options out there.

In his initial interviews, he talked about controlling the city and the region.
I'd like to see them get a guy from the DMV...optimally, with connections to DC Assault and Team Takeover.

mkras99

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »

I'd like to see them get a guy from the DMV...optimally, with connections to DC Assault and Team Takeover.

Does the fact that Hines apparently played his HS ball for Stu Vetter (when Vetter was at St. John's at Prospect Hall, which I believe is also in MD) help us in the DMV? 

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »

Does the fact that Hines apparently played his HS ball for Stu Vetter (when Vetter was at St. John's at Prospect Hall, which I believe is also in MD) help us in the DMV?
It would only help with Vetter, not with the coaches in the WCAC [which is (sadly) the best hs league in the country right now].

Vetter is held in enormous esteem by the college coaches, but, as one said, "he really makes you kiss his ring to get access to his kids."

It's an underreported story that TT and moreso DCA don't exactly have warm relations with the two biggest programs in the area in Georgetown and Maryland. I spoke to Freeman's handler (who is cool with both TT and DCA) after last season and he was beyond concerned with what JTIII had done to Freeman's game. He wasn't sure that he'd send any more kids to Georgetown (and he handles Quinn Cook, amongst others).

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
It would only help with Vetter, not with the coaches in the WCAC [which is (sadly) the best hs league in the country right now].

Vetter is held in enormous esteem by the college coaches, but, as one said, "he really makes you kiss his ring to get access to his kids."

It's an underreported story that TT and moreso DCA don't exactly have warm relations with the two biggest programs in the area in Georgetown and Maryland. I spoke to Freeman's handler (who is cool with both TT and DCA) after last season and he was beyond concerned with what JTIII had done to Freeman's game. He wasn't sure that he'd send any more kids to Georgetown (and he handles Quinn Cook, amongst others).

You seem like you're on top of things, Sleaveless One....  Good post, as well.  It could be hearsay, but it seems Hines has contacts in the DMV area and I'm not sure it's solely associated with Vetter.

If, that is the case then Hines wouldn't be a bad hire.  We'll find out at some point, whether there is some truth to it.

Not to mention, we'll (the Johnnies) would be glad to take some of the talent from Team Takeover and DC Assault.  Maybe, I could attempt to gather some info at the Peach Jam in July, as Team Takeover is also a team who participates in it.

Some good info floating around these boards, as of late.  It's refreshing.

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 06:32:22 PM »
You seem like you're on top of things, Sleaveless One....  Good post, as well.  It could be hearsay, but it seems Hines has contacts in the DMV area and I'm not sure it's solely associated with Vetter.

If, that is the case then Hines wouldn't be a bad hire.  We'll find out at some point, whether there is some truth to it.

Not to mention, we'll (the Johnnies) would be glad to take some of the talent from Team Takeover and DC Assault.  Maybe, I could attempt to gather some info at the Peach Jam in July, as Team Takeover is also a team who participates in it.

Some good info floating around these boards, as of late.  It's refreshing.
Last weekend there was a very good tournament in Milwaukee and this weekend has an even better one in Hampton, VA (Boo Williams). If you can make it, I'll be there.

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »
So Baron Davis was the third overall pick *after* blowing out his knee and Lavin hurt his development?

Anyone who knows anything about NCAA basketball rules knows how limited contact time is with players (3 hours a day during season, aka practice, and a couple hours a week in the off-season), and that player development is about 80% on the player.

And if anyone on the planet thought Earl Watson and Matt Barnes were going to be longtime NBA players when they were in 12th grade, I'd like to see the quotes.