Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

Marillac

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #300 on: July 03, 2011, 12:19:28 AM »
exactly cr. mismatches work both ways

Mismatches do work both ways, but in college a zone can eliminate that mismatch in a heartbeat (on both ends).  Kyle will probably not have to defend a 6 ft point in our defensive scheme--honestly no 6'8 college player can--and the 6 ft pg will almost certainly not have to defend him.  Kyle will be asked to defend an area and will get the opportunity to defend guards and forwards. 

If Kyle wants a shot at playing PG, St. John's has to be his choice.  Lavin has shown that he likes a bunch of different guys handling the ball and running the show.  That will give Kyle the opportunity to show off his skills on offense and defend a number of positions on defense without being exposed early on while his defense catches up to his offense.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:20:58 AM by Marillac »

MCNPA

« Reply #301 on: July 03, 2011, 12:30:37 AM »

Mismatches do work both ways, but in college a zone can eliminate that mismatch in a heartbeat (on both ends).  Kyle will probably not have to defend a 6 ft point in our defensive scheme--honestly no 6'8 college player can--and the 6 ft pg will almost certainly not have to defend him.  Kyle will be asked to defend an area and will get the opportunity to defend guards and forwards. 

If Kyle wants a shot at playing PG, St. John's has to be his choice.  Lavin has shown that he likes a bunch of different guys handling the ball and running the show.  That will give Kyle the opportunity to show off his skills on offense and defend a number of positions on defense without being exposed early on while his defense catches up to his offense.

Exactly what I was saying about SJU being a great fit.  How can Kyle not like a system where we play multiple zone defenses to maximize the strength of our players.  On offense we push the tempo early in the clock on the break, but then slow to utilize a versatile offensive scheme.  I think Kyle probably knows this as wll.  He makes hismdecision relatively soon so hopefully we get what we're looking for.

Poison

« Reply #302 on: July 03, 2011, 08:02:15 AM »
Oops you're right he's a shooting guard. I was actually referring to this board. We, collectively have been talking about him running the point, and I think that's because of our current roster.

Harkless, Pointer, Garrett and Harrison will play the 2 at times next season. I Greene is going to play, won't he have to be running the point just to get burn?

MCNPA

« Reply #303 on: July 03, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
Oops you're right he's a shooting guard. I was actually referring to this board. We, collectively have been talking about him running the point, and I think that's because of our current roster.

Harkless, Pointer, Garrett and Harrison will play the 2 at times next season. I Greene is going to play, won't he have to be running the point just to get burn?

I don't think so.  I really think Green will get decent minutes at both guard spots.  He's a pretty dynamic player as well.  We will play guys in waves.  With our athleticism and depth, we should be able to run and press all day. 

Poison

« Reply #304 on: July 03, 2011, 10:15:07 AM »
I would love nothing more than to see Phil Greene become the steal of the century out of a place that produces great talent.

« Reply #305 on: July 03, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
Chicago still owes NYC for taking Rod Strickland away.

Btw, wasn't this once a Kyle Anderson thread?

« Reply #306 on: July 03, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
KA didn't seem to mind deferring to Mack last season at St. Anthony's.  He'll get plenty of opportunity to handle the ball and showcase his skill sets whether he's playing pg, sg or sf.

crgreen

« Reply #307 on: July 03, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »

Mismatches do work both ways, but in college a zone can eliminate that mismatch in a heartbeat (on both ends).  Kyle will probably not have to defend a 6 ft point in our defensive scheme--honestly no 6'8 college player can--and the 6 ft pg will almost certainly not have to defend him. 

That's true.  You work your D for the best matchups.  Still, with the 6'0 PG off of a "Kyle as PG", that  still means that 6'0 PG is matched up with 6'6 Dom Pointer, or 6'7 Amir Garrett, or 6'8 Harkless or Sampson.....And given our roster, I think opposing coaches will be very limited in the switches they can make, as I expect the BEST defender on any team we face will be matched up on D'Angelo Harrison (I really think opposing coaches are going to think stopping Harrison is the key to stopping St. Johns, much like stopping Hardy was the key this season.  I think Harrison will be THAT good).

Of course all this is moot - we still haven't seen this kids even practice together - despite all our speculation, we really don't even have a clue who will play where and how much.  Pelle a lock at the 5? Yes, Unless GG outphysicals him for the starting spot.  Lindsay a lock at PG?  Yes, but  I'd still love for Phil Green surprise everyone and take a job - excuse my UCLA references, but like Tyus Edney came in as an unheralded Frosh and took the job from 3 year starter (and future 12 year NBA vet) Darrick Martin (but I'd be just as satisfied (keeping the UCLA reference going) if he turned out to be Cameron Dollar - A terrific, SOLID backup guard, who was able to step in for the injured Edney against Arkansas in the '95 title game - and QB them to a title).   As I said, I think Harrison is the "surest thing" at SG.  But then, who's starting at SF?  SirDominic?  or does Amir surprise?  What if Lavs goes with a dual post of BOTH  Pelle and GG?  So now that SF spot also has Harkless and Sampson in the mix!

Ain't nothin' set in stone, yet!

Man, can't WAIT for November and college hoops.  All three of my teams (UCLA, STJ, and VT) are looking like SO much fun for the 2012 season!

« Reply #308 on: July 06, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »

Good point is right.  Wonder how a guy like Shabazz Napier would like a 6'9" PG backing him down and the subsequent SJU alley oop of the inevitable double team.  Whatever role he plays, he's a valuable player to have.

Magic did pretty well for himself as a huge PG.  It would make it tough to see and shoot over Anderson on top of the zone, especially when we press. With this teams depth, I think Lavin should have them press all day and night.

But this might not matter anyway, I still think KA ends up at Seton Hall

« Reply #309 on: July 06, 2011, 12:35:49 PM »

Good point is right.  Wonder how a guy like Shabazz Napier would like a 6'9" PG backing him down and the subsequent SJU alley oop of the inevitable double team.  Whatever role he plays, he's a valuable player to have.

Magic did pretty well for himself as a huge PG.  It would make it tough to see and shoot over Anderson on top of the zone, especially when we press. With this teams depth, I think Lavin should have them press all day and night.

i really really doubt he goes there dk how u can think that not saying he wont its always a possibility its just slim to none

Poison

« Reply #310 on: July 06, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
Seton Hall had a very Norm Roberts like season last year.
I don't see much of a difference in the talent from this season's Hall and a typical Roberts team.

Anderson would be out of his mind to go there.

Moose

« Reply #311 on: July 06, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »

I think IONA might have a better chance :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #312 on: July 06, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »

I think IONA might have a better chance :)

Iona will need a backup PG next year

« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »
Stay on him like cold on ice and flies to 'ish....  LOL

4 of the 5 coaches on @kyleanderson5 `s list watching now-Lavin, Willard, Donovan & JT3

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria/status/89083329617469441

[tweet]4 of the 5 coaches on @kyleanderson5 `s list watching now-Lavin, Willard, Donovan & JT3[/tweet]

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:25:29 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »
KA will be the starting point for SJU in 2012. Amir Garret is th best athlete in coming into the Big East and he will be the biggest surprise on this team. He is the most athletic wing in high school, just needs molding and coaching and he will be great.

MCNPA

« Reply #315 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:17 AM »
KA will be the starting point for SJU in 2012. Amir Garret is th best athlete in coming into the Big East and he will be the biggest surprise on this team. He is the most athletic wing in high school, just needs molding and coaching and he will be great.

I like the positivity and I feel the same way.  I won't bet against Steve Lavin when it comes to landing his main targets. 

« Reply #316 on: July 08, 2011, 08:10:16 AM »

Are you hopeful or do you have some type of inside info?

crgreen

« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »

I think Garrett will be terrific too, but I think he plays BEHIND  Sir Dominic.

« Reply #318 on: July 08, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »

Now that's whats up.

:laugh:

Marillac

« Reply #319 on: July 08, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »

I think Garrett will be terrific too, but I think he plays BEHIND  Sir Dominic.

Tough call.  Garrett seems to be just as athletic, a little bit longer, better passer, with a more refined shot and handle...but, damn, Dom is an animal!  It'll be interesting.  I wonder if both of those guys would be able to knock Mo or Nuri from what many of us expect to be the starting lineup.