Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA
« Reply #2420 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:31 AM »
Damn they gonna give us a beat down this year

We don't play them this year, but I think we'd win.  They certainly have a lot of talent on paper, but have like 7 big men, but only 2 spots to pay them at.  They are not yet solid in the backcourt and their team-speed is not going to be improved by this recruiting class.  I like a lot of their guys, but they have enough 4/5's for 3 teams.  I want to see if their team is well rounded like ours and I think we have twice the athleticism.  I was hoping we'd play them again.  Im atill skeptical on whether Howland has the type of team that he can do big things with.  Not a lot of that team will beat you off the dribble nor from the outside.

According to UCLA's website their schedule is set for next season and SJU is not on it so unless something changes late it appears that was a one time home and home.

And I would stay away from the prediction game.  Long way to go and UCLA should be really good.  They have size, depth and athleticism.  And Howland can coach.  They have struggled a little but now he has the personnel to get after it. 

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/053112aac.html

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:06:25 AM by fordham96 »

sju89tr

« Reply #2421 on: June 28, 2012, 10:00:14 AM »

We don't play them this year, but I think we'd win.  They certainly have a lot of talent on paper, but have like 7 big men, but only 2 spots to pay them at.  They are not yet solid in the backcourt and their team-speed is not going to be improved by this recruiting class.  I like a lot of their guys, but they have enough 4/5's for 3 teams.  I want to see if their team is well rounded like ours and I think we have twice the athleticism.  I was hoping we'd play them again.  Im atill skeptical on whether Howland has the type of team that he can do big things with.  Not a lot of that team will beat you off the dribble nor from the outside.

According to UCLA's website their schedule is set for next season and SJU is not on it so unless something changes late it appears that was a one time home and home.

And I would stay away fromt he prediction game.  Long way to go and UCLA should be really good.  They have size, depth and athleticism.  And Howland can coach.  They have struggled a little but now he has the personnel to get after it. 

UCLA did not renew home and home. I honestly rather not play them as it allows for good recruiting for UCLA in New York. I would like us to play St Mary's or Stanford on a yearly basis an perhaps even USC or UNLV.

MCNPA

« Reply #2422 on: June 28, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »

And I would stay away fromt he prediction game.  Long way to go and UCLA should be really good.  They have size, depth and athleticism.  And Howland can coach.  They have struggled a little but now he has the personnel to get after it. 

I just like how SJU is put together a bit better.  we tired them out with only 6 players last year and they looked slow and unathletic.  While they add a huge recruiting class on paper, what they are adding is 3 big and slow frontcourt players and one very athletic wing in Shabazz.  They didn't add much speed nor diversify their recruiting class much except for Shabazz.  I'm not saying SJU would be an easy win.  I just think we're built for speed and would love to see how it turned out.  I like the way we're put together overall.

MCNPA

« Reply #2423 on: June 28, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »

UCLA did not renew home and home. I honestly rather not play them as it allows for good recruiting for UCLA in New York. I would like us to play St Mary's or Stanford on a yearly basis an perhaps even USC or UNLV.

I think SJU having home/home with UCLA benefits Lavin and SJU much more than it benefits Howland.  Ucla has very little to gain being matched up with SJU and possibly losing to Lavin.  UCLA's choice to end the series no doubt speaks volumes.

« Reply #2424 on: June 28, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »

I think SJU having home/home with UCLA benefits Lavin and SJU much more than it benefits Howland.  Ucla has very little to gain being matched up with SJU and possibly losing to Lavin.  UCLA's choice to end the series no doubt speaks volumes.

Or UCLA decided to play Rick Barnes and Texas in Reliant Stadium in Houston in front of probably 60K people and added Missouri as a home and home!!!  What does UCLA have to gain by losing to Texas and Missouri?

Trust me, playing SJU twice in the last two years did not stop UCLA from coming 3000 miles east and nabbing Kyle Anderson.  My point is everytime a school doesn't play SJU it is not because they are AFRAID of Lavin or SJU coming to their area and stealing their recruits.  Sometimes they simply have decided to go in a different direction, nothing more elegant then that..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:18:12 AM by fordham96 »

MCNPA

« Reply #2425 on: June 28, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »

Or UCLA decided to play Rick Barnes and Texas in Reliant Stadium in Houston in front of probably 60K people and added Missouri as a home and home!!!  What does UCLA have to gain by losing to Texas and Missouri?

Trust me, playing SJU twice in the last two years did not stop UCLA from coming 3000 miles east and nabbing Kyle Anderson.  My point is everytime a school doesn't play SJU it is not because they are AFRAID of Lavin or SJU coming to their area and stealing their recruits.  Sometimes they simply have decided to go in a different direction, nothing more elegant then that..

I dont agree at all Fordhamn and its not about fear.   UCLA's fan base goes nuts when they lose to Lavin.  There is quite a story line there.  They hate him until this day.  All except for crgreen apparently.  SJU beat them last year with 6 guys and now we're hitting our stride and getting a ton stronger roster-wise.  It's a big risk for SJU administration as well as Howland to take.  Imagine if hypothetically we had them on the schedule and best them the next two years...  Do you think that their fan base would react well losing to Lavs a few years in a row?  Theyd be at Howland's doorstep.  IMO, I don't think it is simply them going "in another direction". 

« Reply #2426 on: June 28, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »

I dont agree at all Fordhamn and its not about fear.   UCLA's fan base goes nuts when they lose to Lavin.  There is quite a story line there.  They hate him until this day.  All except for crgreen apparently.  SJU beat them last year with 6 guys and now we're hitting our stride and getting a ton stronger roster-wise.  It's a big risk for SJU administration as well as Howland to take.  Imagine if hypothetically we had them on the schedule and best them the next two years...  Do you think that their fan base would react well losing to Lavs a few years in a row?  Theyd be at Howland's doorstep.  IMO, I don't think it is simply them going "in another direction".

There is ZERO risk.  You are way overstating things and are reading way too much into these things.  UCLA can schedule anyone at anytime and they have.  The Lavin thing is overrated.

pmg911

« Reply #2427 on: June 28, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
UCLA's fan base goes nuts when they lose to Lavin.

It has happened one time, you phrase it like this something that happens regularly and last year Lavin was not even coaching the team. Did they throw a party when they beat us his first year..?

MCNPA

« Reply #2428 on: June 28, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
UCLA's fan base goes nuts when they lose to Lavin.

It has happened one time, you phrase it like this something that happens regularly and last year Lavin was not even coaching the team. Did they throw a party when they beat us his first year..?

The refs threw a party...

desco80

« Reply #2429 on: June 28, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
UCLA isn't afraid of scheduling St Johns.    I'm not saying they don't have reasons to be concerned, I do actually.  We should be very good the next couple of years.

But let's not kid ourselves, UCLA is just going in a different direction.  They aren't scared of SJU or of Lavin.   
And frankly, they're going to be really good this year.   Chances are they would beat us pretty soundly.
We beat them by six (at home), then we lost out best player, and they brought in the top recruiting class in the country.   That's not exactly evidence that would make them scared to play us. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:54:33 PM by desco80 »

MCNPA

« Reply #2430 on: June 28, 2012, 01:00:53 PM »
UCLA isn't afraid of scheduling St Johns.    I'm not saying they don't have reasons to be concerned, I do actually.  We should be very good the next couple of years.

But let's not kid ourselves, UCLA is just going in a different direction.  They aren't scared of SJU or of Lavin.   
And frankly, they're going to be really good this year.   Chances are they would beat us pretty soundly.
We beat them by six (at home), then we lost out best player, and they brought in the top recruiting class in the country.   That's not exactly evidence that would make them scared to play us.

Like I said, never said it was about fear.  I said that the potential for  a loss to Lavin two or even three years in a row is something that UCLA fans and coaches certainly would be concerned about.  And I'm still not convinced they'd best us soundly.  Not in the least.  I think we're a more well-rounded team and our fast-breaking style isn't their favorite to play against with their lumbering team. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:01:37 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #2431 on: June 28, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
;) Everything happens for a reason imagine how his signing with us changes our current coup!  :coolsmiley:

I know everything happens for a reason, and im very happy with the class coming in. However, I would imagine if wed have gotten KA, it would have just changed our current coup for the better. First wed have KA, and second im sure if anything the other recruits coming in would have been the same or better, not worse then who we have now.

Chilleb

« Reply #2432 on: June 28, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
And the 3568864 pages of the KA thread become relevant again.. ::)

pmg911

« Reply #2433 on: June 28, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »
Like I said, never said it was about fear.  I said that the potential for  a loss to Lavin two or even three years in a row is something that UCLA fans and coaches certainly would be concerned about

It went from them being worried about losing to Lavin all the time to being worried about them potentially losing to Lavin.

They have been to multiple Final Fours since Coach Lavin left the sidelines in Westwood. I don't think they care as much about him as you think.

MCNPA

« Reply #2434 on: June 28, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
Like I said, never said it was about fear.  I said that the potential for  a loss to Lavin two or even three years in a row is something that UCLA fans and coaches certainly would be concerned about

It went from them being worried about losing to Lavin all the time to being worried about them potentially losing to Lavin.

They have been to multiple Final Fours since Coach Lavin left the sidelines in Westwood. I don't think they care as much about him as you think.

Maybe you're right...

« Reply #2435 on: July 04, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
Well Choz - these kids are treated so unfairly by the NCAA that they need to take the money when the opportunity presents itself. They are all just being used by the system, cant blame them at all.

So a NJ kid admits his mind was made up that he was going to Seton Hall after a fierce national recruiting battle and then the week before his annoucement, he changes his mind.

Like you said, C'MON ON SON....

What dude???? A 17 year old had a change of heart? No way, it has to be money. When I was 16/17, you know how many times I had RSVP'd to a sweet 16 or something, only to find something better (or someone better, hehehe see what I did there) to do on the night of. It sounded better then my first plan, so I changed my mind. Yes, minor decision compared to a major one, but teenagers are #$%^en fickle man.

Poison

« Reply #2436 on: July 04, 2012, 10:03:16 AM »

UCLA's different direction could be 15-19. No guarantee that Anderson and company will adapt to the college game, however it does help that the PAC 10 is a garbage conference.

pmg911

« Reply #2437 on: July 09, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
Well Choz - these kids are treated so unfairly by the NCAA that they need to take the money when the opportunity presents itself. They are all just being used by the system, cant blame them at all.

So a NJ kid admits his mind was made up that he was going to Seton Hall after a fierce national recruiting battle and then the week before his annoucement, he changes his mind.

What dude???? A 17 year old had a change of heart? No way, it has to be money. When I was 16/17, you know how many times I had RSVP'd to a sweet 16 or something, only to find something better (or someone better, hehehe see what I did there) to do on the night of. It sounded better then my first plan, so I changed my mind. Yes, minor decision compared to a major one, but teenagers are #$%^en fickle man.

Took quite some time to get that weak reply.

You keep thinking he just changed his mind and will just keep thinking UCLA paid for him.

Enjoy your summer.

pmg911

« Reply #2438 on: September 03, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »

Took quite some time to get that weak reply.

You keep thinking he just changed his mind and will just keep thinking UCLA paid for him.

Enjoy your summer.

Look whose recruitment is mow the focus of an NCAA investigation.

LJSA

« Reply #2439 on: September 04, 2012, 02:51:25 AM »
Take this with a grain of salt, but crazy Jesse Wildcat from zags says the talk out west is that the Johnnies leaked violations to the NCAA.