Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

Moose

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #700 on: August 08, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
He really isn't like Jalen Rose. He's a slower, less flashy Magic Johnson. He doesn't have any razzle dazzle to his handle or flash to his passes. He uses his body extremely well to shield the ball and throws passes over his defender's heads or around them.

Been watching him in the CBS college sports third place game and I know its not the most popular opinion here but I don't see him as part of a run and gun offense.  He seems a tad slow.  Unless he uses his basketball IQ to compensate for his speed or lack thereof, just don't see him as a fit for what many here believe to be our style of play.  Did anyone here see him tonite and agree with my assessment?

He didn't get a Top 10 ranking by accident :)

He's looked fine to me tonight.  Xavier Johnson is the one who is lighting up the stat sheet.  As I typed this he grabbed a board and ran a perfect break.  The lineup combos aren't ideal as its an all star game.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #701 on: August 08, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
He really isn't like Jalen Rose. He's a slower, less flashy Magic Johnson. He doesn't have any razzle dazzle to his handle or flash to his passes. He uses his body extremely well to shield the ball and throws passes over his defender's heads or around them.

Been watching him in the CBS college sports third place game and I know its not the most popular opinion here but I don't see him as part of a run and gun offense.  He seems a tad slow.  Unless he uses his basketball IQ to compensate for his speed or lack thereof, just don't see him as a fit for what many here believe to be our style of play.  Did anyone here see him tonite and agree with my assessment?

Didn't see the game, but he often does use his IQ to compensate.  In addition, I don't think he'll play 100% of the time at PG bringing the ball upcourt.  I think he'll help us break the court but not as the primary handler.  He adds a lot of good to a team.  he is certainly not the fastest kid, and it will limit him in some ways, but the staff I think will be able to extract the things that Anderson does exceptionally.

« Reply #702 on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:31 PM »

He's looked fine to me tonight.  Xavier Johnson is the one who is lighting up the stat sheet.  As I typed this he grabbed a board and ran a perfect break.  The lineup combos aren't ideal as its an all star game.

He's looked alright to me, as well.  I've watched him play enough times to come to the conclusion that he can play anywhere. 

MCNPA

« Reply #703 on: August 08, 2011, 08:20:38 PM »

Moose, Xavier Johnson is a Mater Dei guy isn't he?  Katin Reinhardt is ranked higher I believe.  If this kid is filling up the sheet, Katin must also be a stat sheet filler.  Hopefully we can land the kid.

Moose

« Reply #704 on: August 08, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
Haha announcers just said Kyle is considering UCLA, FLA, Gtown and STJ.  Didn't mention Hall.  I know its not accurate but funny how they left them off.  Used to be us ;D

Moose

« Reply #705 on: August 08, 2011, 08:24:49 PM »

Moose, Xavier Johnson is a Mater Dei guy isn't he?  Katin Reinhardt is ranked higher I believe.  If this kid is filling up the sheet, Katin must also be a stat sheet filler.  Hopefully we can land the kid.

Xavier is Mater Dei as well.

« Reply #706 on: August 08, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

The thing is we dont need a team full of similar players to be successful and similar meaning athletes. Kyle Anderson would be a point guard for us using his high IQ, Hight and vision to set up our fast pace offense. Think about it, 6'8 capable rebounder and making great passes to athletic freaks like Sampson, Garrett and Pointer. Isn't flashy but is very much an elite player

Wods317

« Reply #707 on: August 08, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »

The thing is we dont need a team full of similar players to be successful and similar meaning athletes. Kyle Anderson would be a point guard for us using his high IQ, Hight and vision to set up our fast pace offense. Think about it, 6'8 capable rebounder and making great passes to athletic freaks like Sampson, Garrett and Pointer. Isn't flashy but is very much an elite player

I agree with this. We have a ton of great athlete's already who can get up and down the floor but what we don't have is a player with Kyle's skill set. He might not always be able to run with our wings but with his size and passing skill he will fill a huge need if we can get him.

« Reply #708 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »

That's true.  I guess Chris Mullin was a perfect example of a great player without blinding speed and we know what he did for the team.

« Reply #709 on: August 08, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »

That's true.  I guess Chris Mullin was a perfect example of a great player without blinding speed and we know what he did for the team.

Mark Jackson wasn't exactly a jackrabbit either.  He had a pretty decent NBA career as well.

MCNPA

« Reply #710 on: August 08, 2011, 10:56:34 PM »
Look at the makeup of our team now.  Who is the worst player going to be on the roster?  Nobody guarantees Anderson 40 minutes every game,  every player has to earn it. Truth be told though, a guy like Anderson can no way do anything but improve our roster.  Tall, versatile player with a special skill set. He might not always stuff the stat sheet but I think he'd be hard to stop in lots of situations.

Gumby

« Reply #711 on: August 08, 2011, 11:34:07 PM »
Wow, two days without a new KA post!  I did not think that was possible.

I agree with the other posters, we had two relatively "slow" (by others' interpretations) players (Jackson and Mullin).  They made up ten fold for any "slow" foot speed issues they might have had. 

KA seems to be the type of player that makes the whole team better.  His multi-skills will compliment the jack rabbits we already have on the team.

« Reply #712 on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »

UNC plays a run and gun offense like no one else in the country and Kendall Marshall seemed to fit in just fine and he's not what anyone would consider a blazer.

« Reply #713 on: August 08, 2011, 11:42:21 PM »
Look at the makeup of our team now.  Who is the worst player going to be on the roster?  Nobody guarantees Anderson 40 minutes every game,  every player has to earn it. Truth be told though, a guy like Anderson can no way do anything but improve our roster.  Tall, versatile player with a special skill set. He might not always stuff the stat sheet but I think he'd be hard to stop in lots of situations.

The thing I love about his game is that exact point, he doesn't need to stuff his stats to be effective. Alot of high school players will fool you because they can score 20+ a game but once they get to college they dont know how to play without being the "man" and without the ball in their hands. KA could come in here and score some points, rack up some assist and chip in with rebounding but doesn't need to jack up all these shots to help us win. Along with bringing his own unique talents aboard just think about how much he will make everyone else better.

Moose

« Reply #714 on: August 09, 2011, 07:01:04 AM »

The thing I love about his game is that exact point, he doesn't need to stuff his stats to be effective. Alot of high school players will fool you because they can score 20+ a game but once they get to college they dont know how to play without being the "man" and without the ball in their hands. KA could come in here and score some points, rack up some assist and chip in with rebounding but doesn't need to jack up all these shots to help us win. Along with bringing his own unique talents aboard just think about how much he will make everyone else better.

Great post.

« Reply #715 on: August 09, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »
Is going to start taking visits.  Going to UCLA tomorrow and has scheduled his UF visit for a big football weekend of 9/16-17 against rival UT.

Assuming he does not visit anyone after he comes back between 9/17 and his selection date of 9/20 then UF will be getting Kyle's last visit.  Does say he will make unofficials to the other 3 as well.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/09/hurley-says-anderson-is-top-player-in-nation/

MCNPA

« Reply #716 on: August 09, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »
Is going to start taking visits.  Going to UCLA tomorrow and has scheduled his UF visit for a big football weekend of 9/16-17 against rival UT.

Assuming he does not visit anyone after he comes back between 9/17 and his selection date of 9/20 then UF will be getting Kyle's last visit.  Does say he will make unofficials to the other 3 as well.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/09/hurley-says-anderson-is-top-player-in-nation/

Hoping he makes SJU his last one when back from the road trip.  He always said he'd visit all schools so this is no surprise.

« Reply #717 on: August 09, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
Hoping he makes SJU his last one when back from the road trip.  He always said he'd visit all schools so this is no surprise.

Likewise, MCN.  I'd love for him to make a visit to Queens a couple of days before making his decision.  I have a feeling UF might be his final school visit before he makes his decision on the 20th.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:09:35 PM by mjdinkins »

crgreen

« Reply #718 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »

Well, given the other 4 schools in his final 5, I think we can safely assume that hand-spheroid will have little impact on his final decision.  (and yes, that IS a knock on my Bruins)....

Gumby

« Reply #719 on: August 09, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »
If KA and his folks are flying back to Newark on 9/18 that does not allow for much time for post-FL visits.  The plane will probably fly over D.C., so that is the Gtwn official visit. The car service can drive KA through the SH campus on the way home.  Does that count as an official  SH visit?

I would like KA to make his last visit to Queens, say on 9/20, with a camera crew from ESPN.  That would be a birthday celebrated by KA, his family, thousands of St. John's fans, millions of BB fans worldwide (so I am slightly exaggerating) and several hundred out-of-their heads JJ posters (no exaggerating there).

41 days and counting!!!