Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #720 on: August 09, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Never once saw a kid commit on camera on the campus of a college. May even be against NCAA regs otherwise you would think lots of kids would do it.

« Reply #721 on: August 09, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »
Im watching the playback of the adidas nations game. Couple things about KA that impress me are his jumpshot, which is better than I origanly thought, he certantly cant be left open from the arc. And his dribble which he keeps extremely low to the ground.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #722 on: August 09, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
He really isn't like Jalen Rose. He's a slower, less flashy Magic Johnson. He doesn't have any razzle dazzle to his handle or flash to his passes. He uses his body extremely well to shield the ball and throws passes over his defender's heads or around them.

Been watching him in the CBS college sports third place game and I know its not the most popular opinion here but I don't see him as part of a run and gun offense.  He seems a tad slow.  Unless he uses his basketball IQ to compensate for his speed or lack thereof, just don't see him as a fit for what many here believe to be our style of play.  Did anyone here see him tonite and agree with my assessment?
The thing is we dont need a team full of similar players to be successful and similar meaning athletes. Kyle Anderson would be a point guard for us using his high IQ, Hight and vision to set up our fast pace offense. Think about it, 6'8 capable rebounder and making great passes to athletic freaks like Sampson, Garrett and Pointer. Isn't flashy but is very much an elite player

That's true.  I guess Chris Mullin was a perfect example of a great player without blinding speed and we know what he did for the team.

Also remember, Steve Nash ran the highest tempo offense in the NBA for years without having much foot speed at all. He compensated with precision passing and a through the roof basketball IQ. If KA has the ball and the break is on, he just has to make the right pass not burn all the way down the floor with the ball at full speed.

« Reply #723 on: August 09, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
Im watching the playback of the adidas nations game. Couple things about KA that impress me are his jumpshot, which is better than I origanly thought, he certantly cant be left open from the arc. And his dribble which he keeps extremely low to the ground.
To me I would also add shot selection to that list which I believe is the reason people dont think he is a very good shooter. I have rarely seen him take a bad shot or a shot he is not capable of making

« Reply #724 on: August 09, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »
To me I would also add shot selection to that list which I believe is the reason people dont think he is a very good shooter. I have rarely seen him take a bad shot or a shot he is not capable of making

I've been saying for a little over a year that he isn't a bad shooter.  He rarely takes shots beyond the arc.  The few times I saw him shooting from there it seemed like he hit a good percentage of 'em.  He's also a pretty decent player in the clutch.

« Reply #725 on: August 09, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »
I saw this somewhere, sorry I do not have a link. I don't even know who this guy is, but he seemed to be around at the Adidas Nations event so I guess he heard some chatter:

From Gary Randazzo at the Adidas Nations event in Los Angeles:

"With [Dominic] Artis established at the point in Westwood, the favorites for Anderson switch back to the east coast for schools like Florida, St. John’s and Seton Hall. Third party sources did indicated today that Florida could be the call here."

Sounds like Florida is making it interesting. I definitely don't think you can count out a coach like Billy D.

Marillac

« Reply #726 on: August 09, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »
I think All-star type games don't suit Kyle well.  He's the type of kid that plays better when he's on the same page as his teammates, whether that be running an offense, set plays, or knowing the infrastructure of a fast or secondary break. 

His IQ and anticipation are two of the strongest facets of his game and those are two things that are not maxed out in this type of setting. 

I have no question Kyle could excel in a run-and-gun type of offense.  Don't forget, we'll have at least two other guys like Nuri, Green, or Harrison that can handle the rock on the floor with Kyle. 

« Reply #727 on: August 09, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
I saw this somewhere, sorry I do not have a link. I don't even know who this guy is, but he seemed to be around at the Adidas Nations event so I guess he heard some chatter:

"With [Dominic] Artis established at the point in Westwood, the favorites for Anderson switch back to the east coast for schools like Florida, St. John’s and Seton Hall. Third party sources did indicated today that Florida could be the call here."

Sounds like Florida is making it interesting. I definitely don't think you can count out a coach like Billy D.

I'll believe it when I see it.  I guess it's chatter that can't necessarily be ignored.  Although, I do believe this is gonna be a slobberknocker with the teams still involved.   

I also believe, at this point, all schools involved feel they have a chance of snagging Anderson.  They (Kyle and his dad) have done a good job of keeping things pretty close to the vest.

It's gonna be an interesting month and a half.  That's for sure.   

« Reply #728 on: August 09, 2011, 03:41:07 PM »
It is slightly surprising that he is only going on unofficial trips. I don't think he's visited any of the schools officially actually. But the other 3 are close enough to do on your own dime. But the fact that he's traveling to California and Florida on his own dime would seem to imply that he's seriously considering those schools and hasn't already made a decision or narrowed it down  to two schools yet as was believed.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:51:46 PM by hoyahooligan »

« Reply #729 on: August 09, 2011, 03:46:01 PM »
It is slightly surprising that he is only going on unofficial trips. I don't think he's visited any of the schools officially actually. But the other 3 are close enough to do on your own dime. But the fact that he's traveling to California and Florida on his own dime would seem to imply that he's seriously considering those school and hasn't already made a decision or narrowed it down besides to two schools yet as was believed.

He's already in Los Angeles at the Adidas National, so I can see the reason for the unoffical to UCLA.  The unofficial to Florida is kinda suprising, though.  I, figured he'd take an official to UF. 

« Reply #730 on: August 09, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »

Looks like Norm is RECRUITING BETTER AGAINST US THEN HE DID FOR US... ::)  But I also hope that the Anderson's realize that Mr. Roberts will be on Billy D's staff and could potentially be part of Kyle's development. We all saw how. under-developed his kids were here till coach Lavin came aboard. 

« Reply #731 on: August 09, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »

Looks like Norm is RECRUITING BETTER AGAINST US THEN HE DID FOR US... ::)  But I also hope that the Anderson's realize that Mr. Roberts will be on Billy D's staff and could potentially be part of Kyle's development. We all saw how. under-developed his kids were here till coach Lavin came aboard.
Don't think Billy D is stupid enough to leave Norm in charge of player development.

crgreen

« Reply #732 on: August 09, 2011, 07:29:44 PM »
KA tweeted he was playing pickup ball with Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook at UCLA today (with the lockout, several Bruins are back taking classes at UCLA this summer - Love, Westbrook, Baron Davis, Trevor Ariza, Luc Richard M'Bah a Moute.   Wooden Award Winner Ed O'Bannon is also back in classes and fellow National Champ Tyus Edney is the schools DOBO. 

The group of "unofficials" at UCLA tomorrow include Kyle, Jordan Adams, Shabazz Mohammad, and Shaq Goodwin.  Since all of the above are just "regular students", I'm sure that virutally all of them will be "bumping into" the recruits at some point during the visit.

Regarding the Bruins verbal from Dominic Artis - I'm sure Baron will be telling Kyle how HE coexisted with Earl Watson in the same backcourt aboth his years at UCLA while still becoming the #3 overall pick in the draft, and Russell Westbrook will be telling him about becoming the 4 overall pick while playing with Darren Collison during HIS two years with the Bruins....

gman

« Reply #733 on: August 09, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »

Did anyone here see him tonite and agree with my assessment?

One of the top high school coaches of all time called him the best player in the country.  I'll trust his assessment.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:56:55 PM by gman »

« Reply #734 on: August 10, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »
Updated ESPN rankings: Anderson at 6 and Gathers at 31.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/rankings

« Reply #735 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

Basketball IQ

Kyle Anderson (Fairview, N.J./St. Anthony)
The game comes extremely easy to Anderson, who has always had a willingness to learn the game and absorb all the details from his Hall of Fame coach, Bob Hurley. Then he applies them to beat his opponent. Anderson's IQ for the game and for what the possession calls for is off the charts. He wins championships because he beats his opponent with his skill, size and smarts. It's almost like Anderson can see two to three moves ahead of everyone else.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6847137/espnu-100-superlatives

« Reply #736 on: August 10, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

One of the top high school coaches of all time called him the best player in the country.  I'll trust his assessment.

He also happens to be the young mans coach, of course he is going to promote the kid.  Amazing how posters read what they want and ignore what is said.  I never said the kid was not good, I just questioned if he was a good fit for an up tempo style of play.  Surely you understood that, did you not?

« Reply #737 on: August 10, 2011, 01:57:54 PM »
Better hope that it’s a beautiful fall day in New Jersey when he leaves and about 110 and humid in Gainesville when he gets there.  My kids went to UF and a fall football weekend against a big rival, and Tennessee is one of their most hated, can be pretty magical.  Remember the old Spurrier crack: You can’t spell Citrus Bowl without UT.  Billy seems to like reclamation projects in Norm’s slot.  Don’t forget that Norm replaced Rob Lanier who got the boot at Siena after running that program in to the ground for a few years.

« Reply #738 on: August 10, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »

He also happens to be the young mans coach, of course he is going to promote the kid.  Amazing how posters read what they want and ignore what is said.  I never said the kid was not good, I just questioned if he was a good fit for an up tempo style of play.  Surely you understood that, did you not?

I talk to Coach Hurley candidly a lot and he really feels this. He openly admits Kyle isn't blessed athletically in comparison to some of the players he coached but he says he the hardest working and best player. This is saying a lot for the amount of talent he has coached.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #739 on: August 10, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
Better hope that it’s a beautiful fall day in New Jersey when he leaves and about 110 and humid in Gainesville when he gets there.  My kids went to UF and a fall football weekend against a big rival, and Tennessee is one of their most hated, can be pretty magical.  Remember the old Spurrier crack: You can’t spell Citrus Bowl without UT.  Billy seems to like reclamation projects in Norm’s slot.  Don’t forget that Norm replaced Rob Lanier who got the boot at Siena after running that program in to the ground for a few years.
Yes, I hope the humidity has not totally left yet - most awful stuff June through the summer... Florida, despite 2 Nattys, is still a football school first and foremost.  Gainesville is in the middle of the state, i.e., nowhere.  The campus is all the students have... Everyone doesn't see it that way, but if I were going to go to school in Florida, I'd go to FSU.  Since they're not being considered, the choice is easy  ;)