upgrade radio station to FM

• 9 replies
upgrade radio station to FM
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:04:36 AM »
Why can't St. John upgrade  the radio station to FM  for basketball games?Im sure there will be alot more fans throughout the city and beyond this year who want to hear the games.

pmg911

Re: upgrade radio station to FM
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:11:59 AM »
Please give me a few of the local teams whose games are aired on FM radio..?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
I don't know any sports radio on FM in any highly populated local areas, actually.  It's just not gonna happen.

Now if the school could improve the online radio offering, and make sure all the games are aired on the radio live, that would be nice.  But that will come after the Red Storm are a fixture on TV, first; radio popularity doesn't beget TV popularity.  Radio's an afterthought.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:14:06 AM »
Fordam radio....90.7 FM , WFUV.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »
Why can't St. John upgrade  the radio station to FM  for basketball games?Im sure there will be alot more fans throughout the city and beyond this year who want to hear the games.
fcc license is too expensive.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 12:26:40 PM »
I think actually having the games air on the radio LIVE would be a huge deal instead of bloomberg airing it on delay.

The problem is the local sports radio have so many teams to cover and Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Nets all take precedent over NCAA hoops. We need to find a station that can reach NY, NJ, CT...WFAN would be best option.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 12:46:46 PM »
The problem is the local sports radio have so many teams to cover and Knicks, Rangers, Devils, Nets all take precedent over NCAA hoops. We need to find a station that can reach NY, NJ, CT...WFAN would be best option.

ABC preempts Mark Levin to broadcast Seton Hall games. Seton. Hall. Games. So it's probably not a precedence issue.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 01:29:24 PM »
@Fillet, I should have been more clear: I meant a station that actually reaches a lot of people.  But FM radio room is expensive. 

Seton Hall games preempt something?  How the hell did that happen?

And if Bloomberg could broadcast the radio feed online live (sometimes their site just doesn't have the live game), that would also be an improvement.  The radio deal is pretty crap.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
my understanding is that st john's had to buy the radio time to get on.  it was the best we could do for a team that generated no interest.

those days are over.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:52:47 PM by newsman13 »

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 04:27:24 PM »
Please give me a few of the local teams whose games are aired on FM radio..?

Columbia, Stonybrook, Hofstra, Fordham, NYU, Nassau CC.  Pretty much all of my favorite radio stations do Bball.