Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa - TEXAS TECH

• 142 replies

Moose

Re: Daouda Soumaoro - C - OSNA - Mali, Africa
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
At this point it seems that Lavin has offered this kid and has always planned on using 10 ships this year, if he is on official visit.  A bit perplexing, not that we don't need the help in the post.  If we did land Soumaoro we'd have 10 coming in this season.  Not sure what we do for 2012 at that point, but I know Lavin will figure it out.

This is a dilemma for me.  On the one hand I hate to bring a kid in for a year and then the next year tell him to hit the road because he isn't good enough and on the other hand I feel like there is no reason to leave a scholarship open. I trust Lavin will figure this out too.

Lavin is too smart to throw scholarships at anyone and endanger our standing in 2012 with Kyle and Rico.  He knows something.

Yea this worries me a bit Moose I really hope all our guys qualify.

I'm not worried about guys qualifying.  I think he knows that certain guys are not here for long.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
At this point it seems that Lavin has offered this kid and has always planned on using 10 ships this year, if he is on official visit.  A bit perplexing, not that we don't need the help in the post.  If we did land Soumaoro we'd have 10 coming in this season.  Not sure what we do for 2012 at that point, but I know Lavin will figure it out.

This is a dilemma for me.  On the one hand I hate to bring a kid in for a year and then the next year tell him to hit the road because he isn't good enough and on the other hand I feel like there is no reason to leave a scholarship open. I trust Lavin will figure this out too.

Lavin is too smart to throw scholarships at anyone and endanger our standing in 2012 with Kyle and Rico.  He knows something.

Yea this worries me a bit Moose I really hope all our guys qualify.

I'm not worried about guys qualifying.  I think he knows that certain guys are not here for long.

Very true.  Moose, I get the distinct feeling that Lavin wants Soumaoro this year.  Do you think the same? Like I said, he has always been looking to fill 10 ships, even when we had Meikle on board.  It seems he hasn't strayed from that idea now trying to land Soumaoro. 

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »
For me, I'm not really as worried about 2012 as I am that we might have an issue with one of our guys like Pelle.  We can live without landing both Anderson and Gathers.  To tell the truth, I'd love to have another big center on the roster to develop.  If there is a casualty due to academics, I'd rather it be one of our wing players because we have a good number coming in.  Maybe there is no problem at all and Lavin just wants to use all available ships.  Lavin has always said that he was going to use 10 ships this season.  He has said it at almost every presser that he was asked about this recruiting class.  There is the distinct possibility that Lavin just wants to use 10 ships.  It seemed he wanted to do so even when Traylor and GG were both on the board.

We probably could live without Anderson and Gathers, but you don't pass up on those kinda talents when you have a horse in the race.  Honestly, I believe we're a very, very, viable option for those two kids.

I don't know much about this Soumaoro kid and he could be worth a scholarship and become a valuable player for the Johnnies.  I wouldn't wanna garner his services and lose out on either Anderson and Gathers, if not both of 'em.  Maybe, Lavin and the staff have something up their sleeve that will benefit the program for next season and 2012.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:45:38 AM by mjdinkins »

kjd01067

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »

I don't know much about this Soumaoro kid and he could be worth a scholarship and become a valuable player for the Johnnies.  I wouldn't wanna garner his services and lose out on either Anderson and Gathers, if not both of 'em.  Maybe, Lavin and the staff have something up their sleeve that will benefit the program for next season and 2012.

Exactly how I feel.  Lavin knows talent so if he has in fact offered Soumaoro a scholarship he has to have some talent or potential BUT just like I have been saying about Stith I really hope Lavin doesn't back himself into a corner where we recruit a kid and he says he doesn't want to leave and that he will fight it out for PT.  I guess this is weird for all of us because we haven't had the problem of so many good recruits wanting to come and play at St. John's.

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
I am still not 100% convinced he has a formal offer yet even if the visit was an official.

Clearly SJU has some interest.

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »
I am still not 100% convinced he has a formal offer yet even if the visit was an official.
Clearly SJU has some interest.

Maybe Lavs just wants to outdo Lorenzo one more time!

Could he maybe go Juco for a year - perhaps Erie and take the place of GG? (of course, these are my musings and mere speculation - the staff is serious about him for a reason, for which we'll soon find out...)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:05:10 PM by bball purist »

DFF6

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »
If Lavin wants to give out all of his ships to the best available players this year (and I trust Lavin if he thinks Soumaoro qualifies), you have to think he has a plan for the 2012 top recruits if they express interest.  Lavin must have had the same experience with his UCLA classes, so basically, I'm saying: in Lavin, I trust.

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »
They do like him and they are evaluating him.  I think at best it is 50/50 they extend him a formal offer.

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »
They do like him and they are evaluating him.  I think at best it is 50/50 they extend him a formal offer.

fordham, what do your people think.
I checked out 2 AAU coaches up here who felt he was a marginal MAC player at best, and they've both coached against him.
Wish I knew more about the Albany City Rocks.
Fire Mullin.

kjd01067

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
I checked out 2 AAU coaches up here who felt he was a marginal MAC player at best, and they've both coached against him.

I have played against the Albany City Rocks team countless times but that was 5-6 years ago so unfortunately don't know anything about this kid.  City Rocks is a good program though just as a comparison when I played them they had Jimmer Fredette so they have good talent.

Moose

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2011, 03:04:53 PM »

I have played against the Albany City Rocks team countless times but that was 5-6 years ago so unfortunately don't know anything about this kid.  City Rocks is a good program though just as a comparison when I played them they had Jimmer Fredette so they have good talent.

http://www.cityrocks.org/pages/alumniD1.aspx

They also had Paul Harris, Mark Lyons, Talor Battle, Andray Blatche, Tobias Harris, Lazar Hayward, Andy Rautins and even Dele Coker

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »

They also had Paul Harris, Mark Lyons, Talor Battle, Andray Blatche, Tobias Harris, Lazar Hayward, Andy Rautins and even Dele Coker

I'm aware of the program.
What I'm curiuos about is why this kid played up there and not with one of the city teams.
I'm assuming his choice was made by playing time.
Fire Mullin.

Moose

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2011, 03:23:28 PM »

I'm aware of the program.
What I'm curiuos about is why this kid played up there and not with one of the city teams.
I'm assuming his choice was made by playing time.

Was just trying to add to their stature by naming some other City Rocks alums, I knew you would be aware of them.

I don't think he has been in the country long.  Obviously there isn't much video on him.  I thought someone on Redmen posted a video of OSNA game and there were a few highlights.  I do recall looking at their box scores on Max Preps.

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »

I will be honest I don't have much information on him and the few bits and pieces I heard were not the most flattering.

As for running with the City Rocks, not unusual.  I know Jim Hart pulls kids in from downstate sometimes.  Heck he runs the Rumble at Fordham every year.

kjd01067

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/04/30/st-johns-offers-soumaoro/

Don't really understand this but I trust Lavin's judgment.

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/04/30/st-johns-offers-soumaoro/

Don't really understand this but I trust Lavin's judgment.

Likewise.  I don't understand this one either, though I trust Lavin and the staff.  I figured the 2011-2012 roster was set after GG's commitment.  I was hoping they wouldn't offer, so we could have something left for the 2012 class.

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
Add me to the team that says "I don't understand this one either, though I trust Lavin and the staff. I was hoping they wouldn't offer, so we could have something left for the 2012 class." Assuming Soumaoro accepts the offer, "on paper" we have 1 ship for 2012 and Jevon is already committed so we have 0. Very doubtful that is the plan so either someone is not qualifying and / or someone is not returning for the 2011 season. Gathers was reported to be visiting in May and it sounds like Lavin is doing a good job recruiting Kyle. Can't see not having a ship available for either of these guys if they want to come here. Maybe Soumaoro picks Iona to get more playing time.

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2011, 08:09:15 PM »
Add me to the team that says "I don't understand this one either, though I trust Lavin and the staff. I was hoping they wouldn't offer, so we could have something left for the 2012 class." Assuming Soumaoro accepts the offer, "on paper" we have 1 ship for 2012 and Jevon is already committed so we have 0. Very doubtful that is the plan so either someone is not qualifying and / or someone is not returning for the 2011 season. Gathers was reported to be visiting in May and it sounds like Lavin is doing a good job recruiting Kyle. Can't see not having a ship available for either of these guys if they want to come here. Maybe Soumaoro picks Iona to get more playing time.

I agree with you, sfgny.  I like yourself, can't see not having a scholarship for both of those kids for 2012.  We seem to be in excellent shape with both of 'em and I'd hate to lose out on both of 'em due to a lack of scholarships.  I could be wrong, but I have a feeling something is going on.  What it is?  Who knows!?! 

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
Don't worry people, the likelihood that all 10 recruits and the 2 returners stay is slim to none.  We will have room for everyone we want.  When you bring in this many people, a few will be destined to be upset with their playing time or something like that and leave.  If not there are always ways to make room for superior talents.  I have no problem offering another big man.

lihoop

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »
just curious, does anyone know about Christopher Obekpa his teammate at OSNA - saw some of his highlights and the kid looks like he can play.