Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

Moose

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #340 on: June 07, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
Yep, unless I am off, college kids come out usually after their junior year.  For the most part they (those with a good deal of talent) are then sent to AA or AAA ball, which is a big difference from rookie and A ball.
Mets 1st round pick for 2010 draft started at Hi-A St Lucie

Wasn't he a college player though?  Usually college picks start out there.  HS guys go lower.
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #341 on: June 07, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »
Not a huge follower of the MLB draft, but at what point do the Mets or Yankees take him simply because he'll be so close that it'll be supercheap to keep tabs on his progress?

Moose

« Reply #342 on: June 07, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »
Not a huge follower of the MLB draft, but at what point do the Mets or Yankees take him simply because he'll be so close that it'll be supercheap to keep tabs on his progress?

Wouldnt really make sense because he has to sign by Aug 15th.  Otherwise he's gone for good they don't retain rights anymore.

« Reply #343 on: June 07, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »
Keith Law, ESPN draft guru, answered a question during today's chat regarding Amir:

Q. Thoughts on Amir Garrett?

Klaw  (3:15 PM)

Wants to play basketball at St. John's. Consensus is that this last-ditch effort to show off for scouts was a money grab. Great athlete who's added at least 5 mph in the last year.

« Reply #344 on: June 07, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
Wouldnt surprise me if he isnt drafted. The teams know he won't go.

NYCoffey

« Reply #345 on: June 07, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
its in the 19th round and it looks like he wasn't taken as of yet.

LJSA

« Reply #346 on: June 07, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »

Wouldnt really make sense because he has to sign by Aug 15th.  Otherwise he's gone for good they don't retain rights anymore.

Thanks. I thought that they would retain his rights through college and had up until a certain point between his last college game and the 2015 draft to negotiate a contract before he re-entered the draft.

Moose

« Reply #347 on: June 07, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »

Thanks. I thought that they would retain his rights through college and had up until a certain point between his last college game and the 2015 draft to negotiate a contract before he re-entered the draft.

There used to be a draft and follow where you could follow college players I think until the next draft.  But once a HS kid enrolled in college they were gone till after their 3rd year. Not sure how that would effect Amir if he fell under those rules since he would have been going to college for hoops not baseball.

« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
Just got picked 22 round by the Reds I think we are alright.

Moose

« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2011, 07:38:44 PM »
Last year in the 22nd round 18 of the 30 picks signed.  But no bonuses were listed.  Rd 21 last yr and Rd 23 had 300-400k bonuses but thats all I can see.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=4890

wpc77

« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »
You can still get a $200k-$400k signing bonus in round 22 or so.  But statistically, your chances of making the majors are 6% or so in that round.

Gumby

« Reply #351 on: June 07, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »
Being selected in the 22nd round should tell Amir something.  He did not convince really any one that he is a shoe in to make the majors.

As I mentioned earlier, will $300K tempt him to sign with the Reds? 

None of us are in Amir or his family's position to make a decision, but waiting could be in his best interest baseball-wise.  If he has the talent for the majors time will tell.  Does he want to do through the pains of the lower/middle minors or join the St. John's baseball team?

He really needs to sit down with his family and discuss his baseball options.  Gone is the smoke dream of a $1.5 million signing bonus.  Gone is a selection in the early rounds.

One thing that disturbs me about the write-ups on Amir and his baseball dreams is the downplaying his basketball abilities by these writers.  I believe the consensus of the JJ posters feel that Amir has tremendous basketball potential.  The stuff about Amir having to fight for playing time may be true, but I see that as a positive, not a negative.  He is a gamer!

He clearly has some baseball talent.  How best to bring out his full baseball talent- three years in the low to middle minors or three years playing in NCAA WS with St. John's?

« Reply #352 on: June 07, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »
Garrett gives some hints about his future with the Red Storm:

http://johnnyjungle.com/news/cincinnati-reds-select-st-johns-signee-amir-garrett-in-major-league-baseball-draft/

Where do you think he will end up?

« Reply #353 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:18 PM »
SJU.

This guy has loved SJU and Coach Lavin from day one.  It is clear he wants to play with this class.

Sounds like you talked to him did you ask him point blank?

« Reply #354 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »
he didn't say anything directly, but everything he has said on twitter points toward St. John's. He knows how big a role he'll play this coming season and being drafted at 685 makes him far from a lock to make it to the big leagues. He has an education and a big basketball stage ahead of him if he choose STJ.

« Reply #355 on: June 07, 2011, 09:49:49 PM »
BTW Everyone with a twitter account should congratulate Amir on being drafted.

It is a tremendous honor even though we all wish he makes it to Queens.

Kid is going to be special.

« Reply #356 on: June 07, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »
Yes, it is a great honor and undoubtedly causing him to think through his options.

I wish him the best but selfishly I'd like him to come to us. of course.  How much would guy drafted in spot be offered to sign?

NYCoffey

« Reply #357 on: June 07, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
Someone posted yesterday that it would probably be in his best interest to play Baseball at St Johns and I think, if Baseball is his true love, he should. He hasn't played organized baseball in the last year and he can play for a team that gets into the tourney and he will get some exposure. Me, on the other hand, would rather him focus on basketball and bring us a National Championship.

kob24

« Reply #358 on: June 07, 2011, 10:31:18 PM »
300,000 is alot of money. a whole lot

« Reply #359 on: June 07, 2011, 11:26:01 PM »
300,000 is a nice chunk of change.  What's Amir's family situation?  Is he from a "poor" family?

Anyways, baseball is probably the toughest sport to go pro in.  He has a much better chance to make it in the NBA and im saying that without ever seeing him pitch and only seeing him play in two high school games.  The odds are just so against you in baseball with all the young talent and all the minor league systems you have to go through.