Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

Gumby

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #420 on: June 21, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »
I doubt his signing bonus will be "much higher" than any one else drafted in the 22 nd round.  There is no need to do so.  Amir is already out there saying he wants to play baseball.  That has weakened his bargaining power some what.

I also think his being drafted in the 22 nd round is really more about his talent at this point than his signability, but both factored into the draft equation.  If he pitched his "senior" year in HS and had hit some of those 96 mph numbers on a regular basis, he would probably have been drafted much higher (or is it lower).

Remember, it will not only be two sports that he will be involved with, but going to college as well.  That is a good deal of commitment for an 18-19 year old to not only make, but keep on top of.

Good luck, Amir!

A tall high school lefty who throws 95+ and doesn't have a commitment to another sport at a college will be picked in the first 4 rounds.  There is no doubt that it will take more than 22nd round money to sign him and if he was just a baseball player he would have gone much higher.  He is better at baseball than a 22nd round talent, this happens in the MLB draft all the time. Signability is just as important as skill when choosing when to draft a player.  He made it clear before the draft he was playing basketball in college no matter what and that hurt his draft position.

Amir seems heck bent on playing pro baseball, as his emails have indicated.  I believe he will sign for whatever Cincy offers him.  They are in the driver's seat, not Amir.

Going to a baseball clinic for two weeks to work on his fastball is not the same as pitching his senior year in HS throwing 95+ mph every game.  That is like any of us, who routinely drive a golf ball in the 200-225 yard range, hauling off and popping one 250+ yards.  Apparently, he normally throws in the low 90's, which is still not too bad. Remember, movement on a fast ball is the key, not just the speed.

Look none of us, including me, knows what kind of ball player Amir really is now or will be.  If he plays both sports, he will be on threadmill, with very little time off.  I can see him dropping one sport after awhile.

I wonder if the family has spoken to someone like Terry Bross.

« Reply #421 on: June 21, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »
Least we got somebody to play the role of Grant Hill fo the baseball pass to Laetner fo the game wiinin J against Kentucky this year. Ahhhhhhhhhh!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #422 on: June 21, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
I doubt his signing bonus will be "much higher" than any one else drafted in the 22 nd round.  There is no need to do so.  Amir is already out there saying he wants to play baseball.  That has weakened his bargaining power some what.

I also think his being drafted in the 22 nd round is really more about his talent at this point than his signability, but both factored into the draft equation.  If he pitched his "senior" year in HS and had hit some of those 96 mph numbers on a regular basis, he would probably have been drafted much higher (or is it lower).

Remember, it will not only be two sports that he will be involved with, but going to college as well.  That is a good deal of commitment for an 18-19 year old to not only make, but keep on top of.

Good luck, Amir!

A tall high school lefty who throws 95+ and doesn't have a commitment to another sport at a college will be picked in the first 4 rounds.  There is no doubt that it will take more than 22nd round money to sign him and if he was just a baseball player he would have gone much higher.  He is better at baseball than a 22nd round talent, this happens in the MLB draft all the time. Signability is just as important as skill when choosing when to draft a player.  He made it clear before the draft he was playing basketball in college no matter what and that hurt his draft position.

Amir seems heck bent on playing pro baseball, as his emails have indicated.  I believe he will sign for whatever Cincy offers him.  They are in the driver's seat, not Amir.

Going to a baseball clinic for two weeks to work on his fastball is not the same as pitching his senior year in HS throwing 95+ mph every game.  That is like any of us, who routinely drive a golf ball in the 200-225 yard range, hauling off and popping one 250+ yards.  Apparently, he normally throws in the low 90's, which is still not too bad. Remember, movement on a fast ball is the key, not just the speed.

Look none of us, including me, knows what kind of ball player Amir really is now or will be.  If he plays both sports, he will be on threadmill, with very little time off.  I can see him dropping one sport after awhile.

I wonder if the family has spoken to someone like Terry Bross.

His emails?
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #423 on: June 24, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
Here's a couple of tweets from Amir. Sounds like hes playing baseball. Pitched yesterday and gave up 1 hit and stuck out 10. not sure what kind of league it is. There is also another tweet that mentions playing both basketball and baseball so at least nothing has changed on that end.

Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@unprotectedtalk. @SaniMacc. Chris explain to sani that I'm playin both she's confused...
15 hours ago
amir garrett
Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@
@unprotectedtalk I'm trynna find some, man the other day I pitched I hit 96 1 hitter and struck out 10 in 5 innings with 1 walk
15 hours ago

http://twitter.com/#!/Amir_Garrett

« Reply #424 on: June 28, 2011, 10:47:53 AM »
I do not think any team works hard on signing a 22nd round draft choice.   The player usually works hard at trying to sign for a few extra $$$.  If they thought that much about Amir, they would have selected him much earlier.

His Dad's demands did not frighten teams away, it was Amir's lack of recent baseball experience.

Even if Amir signed with the Reds, his playing basketball at St. John's would not impact his baseball time commitments until probably  the mid-Spring of 2012.  Minor leagues do start later than the majors.

I'm not disagreeing with your main premise of Amir possibly signing and still playing, but it isn't true that teams never value, and subsequently put a lot of work into signing a 22nd round pick. This is baseball, and awesome players routinely fall into the 20's, some slip through the cracks, some for signability reasons etc.

« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »

Good luck, Amir!

Do you follow baseball of it's draft? You keep repeating the same things over and over but it honestly just doesn't seem like you get it. Top 5 and 10 round talent falls to the 20's all the time.  20th round prospects with signability issues get paid more then 8th round picks all the time. You can keep saying that he fell in the draft because of his talent or because of his time off from baseball, but I couldn't disagree more. He fell so far because he has a strong college commitment.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:02:45 AM by nrmax88 »

« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
His cousin DeShun Garrett plays with Nurideen at Redlands and apparently is a target of SHU for 2012.

Amir and him have been tweeting about playing against each other in the BE and DeShun tweeted recently he looks forward to seeing Nurideen and Amir together at SJU.

MCNPA

« Reply #427 on: June 30, 2011, 08:17:55 AM »
Amir Garrett tweeting that he's leaving July 6th.  Presumably for SJU summer session 2 which starts on the 7th.  Looks like at this point he's on track to be playing ball this season.

NYCoffey

« Reply #428 on: June 30, 2011, 10:58:26 AM »
Heres a video with the top dunkers in the 2011 class from Hoopmix. Amir and Sir Dom are in there.

Top Ten Dunkers In The Class Of 2011!!! Crazy Dunks From Nations Elite!

Marillac

« Reply #429 on: July 03, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
Amir is the most intriguing recruit to me.  It seems like he can do it all--shoot, defend, he's athletic as hell, good size, etc.  While Mo is clearly the most skilled forward offensively, Garrett seems like the most well-rounded of the group and of all the recruits IMO.

MCNPA

« Reply #430 on: July 03, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »
Amir is the most intriguing recruit to me.  It seems like he can do it all--shoot, defend, he's athletic as hell, good size, etc.  While Mo is clearly the most skilled forward offensively, Garrett seems like the most well-rounded of the group and of all the recruits IMO.

Actually, I think the Amir might have the most to work on in some ways, of the forwards.  I've read that his right hand is not existent handling -wise which causes him trouble at times, and he needs to work on his shot a bit.  That said, he's clearly an amazing athlete, excellent defender and has a great work ethic.  If the staff can get the kid's handle to the point where he isn't forced to go left, he's got huge upside. 

I think the most well rounded forwards of ours are either sirDom or Sampson.  Both have good handles with both hands, the ability play offense and defense and block shots.  They both need a little work with their shooting, but most freshmen forwards do.  Harkless is the best shooter of our forwards.  He just coasts too much on defense.  Harkless needs to learn some aggression at both ends, but his shooting range is in the lead wrt our forwards. 

Most well rounded of all the recruits might be D'Angelo.  He's got a nice handle with both hands, great shooting touch, aggressive attitude and can rebound real well for a guard.  I expect him to be one of the most ready coming in.

crgreen

« Reply #431 on: July 03, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »
His cousin DeShun Garrett plays with Nurideen at Redlands and apparently is a target of SHU for 2012.

Amir and him have been tweeting about playing against each other in the BE and DeShun tweeted recently he looks forward to seeing Nurideen and Amir together at SJU.

Has he tweeted Amir as to what he thinks of Nuri as a talent and a teammate?

« Reply #432 on: July 03, 2011, 08:33:26 PM »

I think amir is a mixture of all of our other small forward recruits.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #433 on: July 03, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »

Has he tweeted Amir as to what he thinks of Nuri as a talent and a teammate?

Not that I saw.  Just to be clear, DeShun is being recruited by Seton Hall NOT SJU. 

By the way Amir reitterated today that he leaves for SJU this Wed:

http://twitter.com/#!/Amir_Garrett/status/87606658225807360

Marillac

« Reply #434 on: July 04, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »

Actually, I think the Amir might have the most to work on in some ways, of the forwards.  I've read that his right hand is not existent handling -wise which causes him trouble at times, and he needs to work on his shot a bit.  That said, he's clearly an amazing athlete, excellent defender and has a great work ethic.  If the staff can get the kid's handle to the point where he isn't forced to go left, he's got huge upside. 

I think the most well rounded forwards of ours are either sirDom or Sampson.  Both have good handles with both hands, the ability play offense and defense and block shots.  They both need a little work with their shooting, but most freshmen forwards do.  Harkless is the best shooter of our forwards.  He just coasts too much on defense.  Harkless needs to learn some aggression at both ends, but his shooting range is in the lead wrt our forwards. 

Most well rounded of all the recruits might be D'Angelo.  He's got a nice handle with both hands, great shooting touch, aggressive attitude and can rebound real well for a guard.  I expect him to be one of the most ready coming in.

From what I've seen it looks like Garrett has a handle that is well above and beyond either....that's not to say, though, that Garrett can't really improve in that area or several others.  I just think he can do a little bit of everything.  I don't think he'll be a kid that can take it consistently to the basket and dominate, but I think he'll be able to play with any lineup and has no glaring deficiency.  Pointer is a kid that I think eventually could be a #1 option and dominant on both sides of the ball. 

Gumby

« Reply #435 on: July 04, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »
What a blast this Summer and Fall will be as we all discuss who each of us thinks will be the most "intriguing" incoming player.  Amir certainly has a good deal of special talents, as does the rest of the squad.  While none of knows how well the team will do this season, it will be fun to watch each of our favorites, as they develop and shine.

Just think, it was only 16 months ago or so that we would have died to get a single recruit with Amir's talent.  Now we have a multitude of talented young men.  Thanks Amir, and thank you, Coach Lavin.

« Reply #436 on: July 05, 2011, 04:41:39 AM »
Where have you gone Remi Barry  lol

Moose

« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »
Amir just tweeted he finished a workout with Jakarr so seems Jakarr has made it to campus as well.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »
Amir just tweeted he finished a workout with Jakarr so seems Jakarr has made it to campus as well.

Excellent.  I can't even imagine how much more competitive practices are going to be.  It seems like each player possesses a truly elite talent.  Pelle, for example, will have to defend the bruising GG and then a play later might have to try his hand at the unbelievably athletic Sampson. 

« Reply #439 on: July 07, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »

Excellent.  I can't even imagine how much more competitive practices are going to be.  It seems like each player possesses a truly elite talent.  Pelle, for example, will have to defend the bruising GG and then a play later might have to try his hand at the unbelievably athletic Sampson. 

great point marillac. Id say pelle is the better athlete when it comes to him and sampson but sampson is absolutely an elite athlete in his own right
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:22:24 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.