Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies
Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #520 on: August 15, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
Garrett is a twig. I've seen him in person and stood right next to him. I'm 6'2, and maybe he was an inch taller than me. Unless I'm confused and im still growing, which would really be something else.

if hes 6'3 than jakarr is 6'5 and pelle is 6'7
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #521 on: August 15, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
Garrett is a twig. I've seen him in person and stood right next to him. I'm 6'2, and maybe he was an inch taller than me. Unless I'm confused and im still growing, which would really be something else.

I'm 6'2 and Garrett is 6'5, Jakarr is definitely 6'7, and Pelle was a lot taller than Garrett from what I remember at Midnight Madness.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #522 on: August 15, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »

I'm 6'2 and Garrett is 6'5, Jakarr is definitely 6'7, and Pelle was a lot taller than Garrett from what I remember at Midnight Madness.

I don't recall them being at Midnight Madness.  Wasn't it the exhibition game?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #523 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »

I don't recall them being at Midnight Madness.  Wasn't it the exhibition game?

Yes, you're correct there. I've made that mistake a few times.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #524 on: August 15, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
Garrett and Pelle were at the exhibition game.

Garrett isn't 6'6, but if you combine his height with Pelle's
he'd be over 13 feet tall, and completely impossible to guard.

Marillac

« Reply #525 on: August 15, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
I disagree that Amir is anything but a wing at the college level.  He is in no way a 4.  He's a thin 6'5" SG/SF.  Just like Cuse's Michael Carter Williams is not a PF, Amir is not either.   I don't disagree that he might be on the court with 2 other wings, but Amir won't be posting up in the paint.  He's simply not a PF.  He's a perimeter guy that certainly can crash the glass, but not a PF.  As far as strength, I can't compare and we'll never know.  Harkless is a lot bigger guy, and has put on significant muscle.  Harkless is a bigger kid who can bang in the post against bigger guys as well.  Just a bigger and stronger kid.  Neither is Gathers, but I don't think it's any question who is the stronger player at this point physically.

I think a lot of our wings could see time at the four.  I don't undestand why you have to distinguish PF or 4?  Obviously, Garrett won't be backing down 6'10 giants, but his rebounding #'s have been outstanding even as a freshman on a varsity basketball team. 

Polee was 20 pounds less than Amir and only an inch taller and he was our starting center!  Lavin seems like a "best five on the floor" kind of guy.

Moose

« Reply #526 on: August 15, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
I disagree that Amir is anything but a wing at the college level.  He is in no way a 4.  He's a thin 6'5" SG/SF.  Just like Cuse's Michael Carter Williams is not a PF, Amir is not either.   I don't disagree that he might be on the court with 2 other wings, but Amir won't be posting up in the paint.  He's simply not a PF.  He's a perimeter guy that certainly can crash the glass, but not a PF.  As far as strength, I can't compare and we'll never know.  Harkless is a lot bigger guy, and has put on significant muscle.  Harkless is a bigger kid who can bang in the post against bigger guys as well.  Just a bigger and stronger kid.  Neither is Gathers, but I don't think it's any question who is the stronger player at this point physically.

I think a lot of our wings could see time at the four.  I don't undestand why you have to distinguish PF or 4?  Obviously, Garrett won't be backing down 6'10 giants, but his rebounding #'s have been outstanding even as a freshman on a varsity basketball team. 

Polee was 20 pounds less than Amir and only an inch taller and he was our starting center!  Lavin seems like a "best five on the floor" kind of guy.

Where did you find Amir's freshman year rebounding #'s?

Marillac

« Reply #527 on: August 15, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »

Maxpreps.com   If my memory serves me correctly, he averaged 7.8 boards a game as a frosh.

Moose

« Reply #528 on: August 15, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »

Maxpreps.com   If my memory serves me correctly, he averaged 7.8 boards a game as a frosh.

Can you find the link?  I was just on his page on Maxpreps and couldnt find anything.  I've also found Maxpreps to not exactly be the most reliable.  But it really depends on how diligent the school itself is in reporting its stats and results.

Marillac

« Reply #529 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:11 PM »

Can you find the link?  I was just on his page on Maxpreps and couldnt find anything.  I've also found Maxpreps to not exactly be the most reliable.  But it really depends on how diligent the school itself is in reporting its stats and results.

Oh wow, he averaged 8.8 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.  Not bad for a freshman playing with juniors in seniors in a relatively competive league (includes Shabazz Muhammed this year). 
http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/X6nD6COTRkuV4uVA8op69g/basketball-winter-07-08/profile-amir-garrett.htm

MCNPA

« Reply #530 on: August 15, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
Love the 10 guys we're running with this year.  Amir, pointer and Jakarr do it all.  Those type of guys are invaluable. All rebound, block shots, defend and score. 

MCNPA

« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:32 PM »
Amir signed with the Cincinnatti Reds tonight. He will play for the Reds and bball at SJU.

Wods317

« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
Apparently he signed for a million dollars, good for him. Hope he does well in both sports, kid has a lot of options now.

« Reply #533 on: August 15, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
any word on when he would have to report?

MCNPA

« Reply #534 on: August 15, 2011, 11:59:14 PM »
Apparently he signed for a million dollars, good for him. Hope he does well in both sports, kid has a lot of options now.

Wow, a millionaire freshmen on board.  Congrats to him and his family.  Methinks he'll be taking the team out for a few post-win dinners.  Great to see our guys doing well.

« Reply #535 on: August 16, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »
Amir, Norvel, Jakarr, and Nurideen have yet to be cleared yet academically. There also might be a reinvestigation of Maurice Harkless by the NCAA. But we will find out about all of them soon.

MCNPA

« Reply #536 on: August 16, 2011, 12:05:14 AM »
Amir, Norvel, Jakarr, and Nurideen have yet to be cleared yet academically. There also might be a reinvestigation of Maurice Harkless by the NCAA. But we will find out about all of them soon.

Hopefully we get clearance on them soon and without a hitch.  A reinvestigation of Mo would be disturbing and overboard considering the light penalties given to constantly cheating programs like Uconn, Ohio state and others.  Unbelievable that they might keep goingn with this for a kid who played 2 games when hicks was helping with the team.

« Reply #537 on: August 16, 2011, 12:12:02 AM »
But luckily he is still playing basketball  for us...

http://twitter.com/#!/Amir_Garrett/status/103307714318438400
I'm blessed to be able to be apart of the #Reds baseball organization and still be able to play basketball at St. Johns. #God is Great

http://twitter.com/#!/jimcallisBA/status/103311471789879297
#reds gave St. John's basketballer/22nd-rd LHP Amir Garrett $1 million spread over five years, two-sport deal. #mlbdraft
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:13:04 AM by redstormhoopsfan »

NYCoffey

« Reply #538 on: August 16, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »

Hopefully we get clearance on them soon and without a hitch.  A reinvestigation of Mo would be disturbing and overboard considering the light penalties given to constantly cheating programs like Uconn, Ohio state and others.  Unbelievable that they might keep goingn with this for a kid who played 2 games when hicks was helping with the team.

Nurideen is on campus, and jakarr and Norvel have both twittered they are done. I hope your kidding about the reinvestigation of Mo. Either way, congrats to Amir. Hard work pays off.

Marillac

« Reply #539 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
But luckily he is still playing basketball  for us...

http://twitter.com/#!/Amir_Garrett/status/103307714318438400
I'm blessed to be able to be apart of the #Reds baseball organization and still be able to play basketball at St. Johns. #God is Great

http://twitter.com/#!/jimcallisBA/status/103311471789879297
#reds gave St. John's basketballer/22nd-rd LHP Amir Garrett $1 million spread over five years, two-sport deal. #mlbdraft

Looks like he'll be paying for some dinners for the team!