Kelvin Amayo - G - NIA Prep - Newark, NJ - TOWSON

• 41 replies
Kelvin Amayo - G - NIA Prep - Newark, NJ - TOWSON
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:33 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/09/harkless-rules-out-uconn-jack-stars-at-hoop-group/

Kelvin Amayo ’11 – NIA Prep (NJ) – Amayo had a good week and really helped his cause on the recruiting front in Reading. While he still doesn’t have a full list compiled just yet, both Kelvin and his mentor Nate Blue gave an idea of who is showing Amayo some interest. ”Arizona, Memphis, St. John’s, Maryland, Penn State, Seton Hall and Xavier” have shown the most interest. Kelvin isn’t focusing on his recruitment at this time, however, he is in good hands and will wind up playing at a high major school with a big summer and hard work. This summer has big indications for Amayo, who was a standout at the elite camp. His stock could rise to him playing in the Big East or his stock could fall and he could play in the A10. July is going to be huge for Kelvin.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:50:21 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Kelvin Amayo - G - NIA Prep - Newark, NJ
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »
Kelvin Amayo, 6-4 wing, NIA Prep (NJ), 2011: He was a pleasant surprise. Although I did hear his name a couple times prior to this event, I didn’t really know too much about him. It turned out to be that he would lead the championship game in scoring with 26 points. He showed freakish athleticism and demonstrated the ability to get off the ground in a hurry. Aside from his hops, which were clearly on display in a couple of impressive dunks, including a crowd-pleasing tomahawk jam, Amayo also showed the ability to get to the hole off the dribble and finish strong. The Jersey native also has a nice bulky body frame to go along with his quick feet and aggressive style of play.           

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/high-school-wire/2010/08/golden-hoops-resurrects/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:54:15 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »

gonzalo

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-1109/braeden-anderson-talks-about-depaul-kelvin-amayo-waiting-until-spring/

Rudy King will have a very good team at NIA Prep this season and they are likely to see plenty of attention from college recruiters this season. With uncommitted high-major prospects such as Ryan Rhoomes, David Joseph and Kelvin Amayo on the roster and expecting to sign in the April signing period, a source of a late recruiting period steal could very well come from NIA Prep.

Last week we took a look at Schools Calling Ryan Rhoomes and David Joseph Set to Impress recruiters this season. Last night we inquired with Kelvin Amayo to hear how his recruitment is going.

“Everything is good and I will be signing in the Spring,” Amayo told NBE.

The 6-foot-4 guard was once verbally committed to Western Kentucky, but now the Class of 2011 member is considering Indiana, Seton Hall, St. John’s, South Florida, Iowa State and Colorado at this point in time.

Amayo is a supremely athletic guard who threw down one of the best dunks of the weekend during June’s Rumble in the Bronx this past AAU season. Playing with LI Lightning, Amayo seemed to continue rising over his defender in transition and threw one down. Amayo is very aggressive offensively, looking to drive to the basket whenever he gets the ball, and is very good in transition because he is tough to slow down with his strength and leaping ability.

Wods317

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-1109/braeden-anderson-talks-about-depaul-kelvin-amayo-waiting-until-spring/

Rudy King will have a very good team at NIA Prep this season and they are likely to see plenty of attention from college recruiters this season. With uncommitted high-major prospects such as Ryan Rhoomes, David Joseph and Kelvin Amayo on the roster and expecting to sign in the April signing period, a source of a late recruiting period steal could very well come from NIA Prep.

Last week we took a look at Schools Calling Ryan Rhoomes and David Joseph Set to Impress recruiters this season. Last night we inquired with Kelvin Amayo to hear how his recruitment is going.

“Everything is good and I will be signing in the Spring,” Amayo told NBE.

The 6-foot-4 guard was once verbally committed to Western Kentucky, but now the Class of 2011 member is considering Indiana, Seton Hall, St. John’s, South Florida, Iowa State and Colorado at this point in time.

Amayo is a supremely athletic guard who threw down one of the best dunks of the weekend during June’s Rumble in the Bronx this past AAU season. Playing with LI Lightning, Amayo seemed to continue rising over his defender in transition and threw one down. Amayo is very aggressive offensively, looking to drive to the basket whenever he gets the ball, and is very good in transition because he is tough to slow down with his strength and leaping ability.

Is Amayo hoping we have an extra scholarship in the spring and just add him for depth because from what I have read he isn't at the level of our other recruits and seems more like a player the old regime recruited. He seems like another wing player which we dont need especially if we add Garrett/

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »
kelvin could be just what we need.  someone who will be here four years to anchor the players who'll leave school early for nba dollars.  by that time, he could have his degree and be ready to make nice money playing pro ball...possibly in the nba.  i say the same about rhooms.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 03:28:17 PM »
I like Amayo and his potential but I just don't forsee it happening here. I think he'd be a star at Temple, St. Joe's, URI, A-10 etc. 

He's a freak though he's got tremendous strength and size for his position but with Lindsey, Harrison, Stith, Thomas...where does he fit in?

If he's willing to sit some time maybe but I'd really have to map out the future and see where he fits in.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 03:57:44 PM »
Maybe he fits in on the bench, and he learns how to be a BE player in practice for 2 years.

Then, when Pointer and Sampson go pro early, he steps right in, starts, and tears it up. 

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »
I am thinking along the lines of Poison on this. If he starts out as a bench player then waits his turn he could blow up in 2 years. These kids have huge egos and i am not sure Amayo ego would allow him to think like that. He could still go the A10 route and still blow up but much sooner. Hard to tell.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/11/better-and-better/

He has scholarship offers from Seton Hall, St. Johns, Colorado, Iowa State, USF, Western Kentucky, and Rutgers, but he’s still trying to push for more schools (especially elite schools) to take notice of him. He is not satisfied with just being noticed—he wants to be somebody that is sought after when the spring 2011 signing period rolls around in March.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:52:08 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 08:16:48 PM »
Kelvin Amayo (Nia Prep)- A physical specimen at 6’5”, 200lbs, Amayo was an absolute beast for Nia in the first half on Saturday, brutalizing Kiski defenders with his size and toughness in the paint en route to a 24-point performance in the game’s opening 20 minutes.  A match-up nightmare with his unique blend of size and quickness off the bounce, Amayo is at his best driving the ball down-hill, utilizing a sharp crossover to change directions in tight spaces and carve his way to the basket for scores.  Finishing with a game-high 34 points, his challenge moving forward will be not remaining satisfied with using solely his superior athleticism to be effective and expanding his game to include consistent three-point range and a dependable, mid-range pull-up.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/1746/Hoop-Mountain-Prep-Classic-Saturday-Recap.php

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »
If Norm was here, this guy would be signed already!   ;)

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 03:06:52 PM »
I'm warming up to this kid.

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 11:39:36 AM »
I'm warming up to this kid.

You might be warming up a tad bit more, Marillac....

Standout players

Kelvin Amayo (Riverside, N.J./Nia Prep)
2011, SG, 6-foot-4, 210 pounds
Amayo continued his recent string of strong play this weekend, pouring in 37 points against the Kiski School (Youngstown, Ohio) on Saturday, including 24 in the first half. An incredibly powerful perimeter player, Amayo causes huge matchup problems, as opposing guards bounce off him on both ends of the floor, and he can facilitate for others, too. He is at his best in the open floor. He attacks the rim running downhill, while able to change his speed and direction with inside-out moves to both sides. He has a full assortment of counter moves inside the paint with pro hops, Euro-steps and spins. The only possible knock on Amayo's performance was that he didn't incorporate his jumper, but it's hard to fault him for attacking the defense and taking the highest-percentage shot possible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5891349

I wonder how often he uses the Euro-step, as many kids hasn't implemented that move in their arsenal.  Or, do not have the footwork to use it.  Amayo may be a kid who we're gonna have to keep our eye on.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:54:54 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »

Actually he probably would have been a target.

He's good and I'd take him as a 4 year guy. It might be better for him personally to sign somewhere where he can be the man. He'd get time here eventually though.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »
No  No  No .

He sounds like a very good but undersized 3.
If Garrett  (and Meikle) didn't come... then only maybe.

We need another PF/C bad with the 12th, then save last for 2012.
If last (13th) schol given out this year--only if a top 50 big.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 02:27:19 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »

Actually he probably would have been a target.

He's good and I'd take him as a 4 year guy. It might be better for him personally to sign somewhere where he can be the man. He'd get time here eventually though.
His style has Norm written all over it. As does his profile - under the radar with potential.

Which isn't a bad thing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:16:10 PM by peter »

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »
The NCAA may be a bit busy now, but can they take a look into the schoolwork going on at this Academy and look into who is financing this Academy?  :coolsmiley: