Tip off Dinner

• 12 replies

Poison

Tip off Dinner
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
SJU is asking $500 per person for a tip off dinner on Oct 21st featuring some guy named Kenny Smith who never even went to St.John's.

No offense to anyone that had a hand in planning this, but what the hell were you thinking?

Re: Tip off Dinner
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »
I love Kenny Smith but maybe not the best idea idea since he left Queens to go to UNC. I don't know. Poison, is there a link out there for information or is this something you received in the mail?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
I received it in the mail along with several other invitations to boring events that suck away an entire weekend day or evening.

I think in this case they forgot that St.John's fans care about St.John's,
not North Carolina.

I really wish they would stop trying to sell me random basketball.

I could give a rats ass about Kenny Smith.
Especially because we had a point guard at the same time in Jackson who was better.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
Anyway you can scan that invitation?

Poison

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't save it

Moose

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
Michael Jordan spoke one year.  So did Jeff Van Gundy.  Last year was a bevy of NYC greats.  How about the baseball dinner that had David Wright and Roger Clemens (ignore the Steroid stuff).

No offense but rolling out Mullin, Jackson, Berry etc has been doing 88 times.  Why not spice it up and bring in someone who is popular around the game and would keep the event fresh?

Sorry but I don't see the negative of this.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
Yea like I said earlier I love Kenny Smith. He's funny and informative

Poison

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »
I guess I feel that you should Tip Off SJU basketball with something that has to do with SJU basketball.

If the goal is to generate excitement for SJU basketball, Kenny Smith makes zero sense.

Would the Mets ask Whitey Ford to throw out the first pitch on opening day?

Moose

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
I guess I feel that you should Tip Off SJU basketball with something that has to do with SJU basketball.

If the goal is to generate excitement for SJU basketball, Kenny Smith makes zero sense.

Would the Mets ask Whitey Ford to throw out the first pitch on opening day?

We honored the FF team last year right?  All the big guys didn't even show.  I hate to break the news to everyone who lives by those old teams but their support of the university is pitiful.  Ask anyone in the know.  They give pretty much nothing back to the school.

Michael Roos an offensive tackle for the Tenn Titans who isn't exactly a household name just donated 500k to his alma mater Eastern Washington.  None of our guys have donated anything close to that save Jayson Williams.

While it might not be an STJ great Kenny Smith is a prominant face in basketball and having him associated with STJ for an event like this can benefit us in the long run with some attention.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:34:26 PM »
All of the alumni and fans have turned their back on SJU bball. But let's be fair here. Hiring Norm Roberts and ignoring the program for 6 years has pissed everyone off. Haven't we been saying for years that SJU needs to put a product on the court that will interest people if they want people to care?Players will come back when they are no longer ashamed of what we've become.

Hopefully, that starts this year.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:35:21 PM by Poison »

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 02:17:52 AM »
Hiring Norm Roberts and ignoring the program for 6 years has pissed everyone off.

I really don't think thats the reason why big time Alumni aren't into the school. I think in the past the school on a whole has done a poor job of embracing their students which in turn creates alumni who don't care. As of the late the school is making strides in changing the culture of the school.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 02:31:19 AM »
Dave, it's why big time alumni aren't into the bball program. I wasn't speaking about a general alumni relationship.

Just that I believe former players are embarrassed to be associated with the program. One I spoke with personally told me that specifically.

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 04:48:17 AM »
kenny smith is a media star who played high school ball in nyc.  that's the attraction.   the event itself is pricey.  i wouldn't pay 500 dollars for a jaylo lap dance.