Big Men Big Expectations [JohnnyJungle.com]

• 8 replies
Big Men Big Expectations [JohnnyJungle.com]
« on: October 05, 2010, 03:13:07 AM »
They are the tall trees down low, the defenders of the tin, and knights of the nets. The big men on a roster are vital, and can make or break your entire season. It’s an area where the Red Storm have struggled to get consistent production since the departure of stud 6’10 forward, Lamont Hamilton, but this year a lot is on the line for their big three.

Following a dreadful 2006-2007 season, it seemed like new hope was on the horizon with the incoming class. Replacing a talent like Hamilton would be difficult but highly touted New York native Justin Burrell was a good start. 6’8 Philadelphia forward Sean Evans and 6’10 Dele Coker from Nigeria were brought in to solidify the St. John’s paint. Though it seems since 2007 these big three have been inconsistent to say the least with flashes of prominence from time to time.

Full Story
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Big Men Big Expectations [JohnnyJungle.com]
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »
Lets hear it guys... What do you think our front court needs to do? Do you agree with David Berov's assessment?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 12:33:22 PM »
The important thing Lavin's staff can do is teach these guys how to defend.

Next he can teach them how to look for each other on offense. Often guys like Evans were a black hole.

Specifically:

Evans: stop dribbling. Needs to pass out of the double team.

Burrell: needs to move around w out the ball. Sometimes, you can post up w your back to the hoop, but seriously, not every time, unless you're 7'2.

Coker: needs to learn how to pass out of the double team. Needs to learn how put the ball up w out putting it on the floor. Most importantly, he needs to learn how to block shots, rebound, and stay with his man w out fouling. He will be a big part of any NCAA run.

Thomas: he needs to be in good enough shape to play. His game is the smartest on the team. We could really use him.

Brownlee: no more shooting. I like the rest of his game. Still, I find that when he gets in the game, the first thing he does is shoot it from somewhere. Just needs to play within the game, and remember that it's a team effort.

Polee: obviously, i haven't seen him, but we'll need a guy off the bench who can provide a spark. Hopefully, he's working hard on getting stronger.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
Dele might have put up some good blocking #'s (2.9 blocks/30 mins)
But his rebounding was bad (5.7 rebs / 30 min)

And he needs to get to the line more- 3 made free throws in BE play !

Molloy '71

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
This season I would like to see the Justin's be our best players. I hope the Justin's fight for their role to be the main focus of the offence. One statement that Dave made was that our 20 point scorers need to be DJ, Paris or Hardy. I do not agree with that statement at all. Burrell needs to take back his title as the best player in the 2007 Recruiting class. Be the man!! Burrell has the tools to be a great inside outside player. We seen great post moves out of him we seen him step out and take 15 to 18 foot jump shot that look so smooth. Justin need to demand 15 to 20 shots a game. Burrell is a freak athlete with great skills and should defer to no one on our team.

Brownlee also has a great skill set for an inside outside game. Last year he shot a very poor % from the outside but you could see that the 3 point shot had good form it just did not drop. The skill set is there he just needs to seize the moment.

I hated the fact that Paris, DJ and Dwight ran that ball screen offence always to get shots for themselves. DJ & Paris almost never looked to pass the ball out of the ball screen. So many times Burrell set a pick and popped for a wide open 15 foot shot or rolled into the post but never was passed the ball. Paris and DJ would dribble for a shot or just pull it out to start over.

We have a new coach and the Justin's should be fighting to be stars on this team not complimentary players
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:08:59 PM by Red2395 »

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »
This season I would like to see the Justin's be our best players. I hope the Justin's fight for their role to be the main focus of the offence. One statement that Dave made was that our 20 point scorers need to be DJ, Paris or Hardy. I do not agree with that statement at all. Burrell needs to take back his title as the best player in the 2007 Recruiting class. Be the man!! Burrell has the tools to be a great inside outside player. We seen great post moves out of him we seen him step out and take 15 to 18 foot jump shot that look so smooth. Justin need to demand 15 to 20 shots a game. Burrell is a freak athlete with great skills and should defer to no one on our team.

Red, first of all thanks for reading. I appreciate everyone who takes the time out to read my work (and everyone who contributes to this site as well)

What I meant in my DJ Paris and Dwight comment was more that they are the primary scorers and or have been over the past 2.5 years. I mentioned throughout the column that JB came in with lofty expectations and really lived up to them in his freshman season. Now that he is 100% healthy and a senior with tons of experience it might be his for the taking. I made some bold statements towards the end of the column saying Justin should average 15 and 7...and be considered one of the best Big Men in the big east if not the country. He has that type of potential. Justin really can be a dominant force if he is used correctly and plays with the aggression he has.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »

Brownlee also has a great skill set for an inside outside game. Last year he shot a very poor % from the outside but you could see that the 3 point shot had good form it just did not drop. The skill set is there he just needs to seize the moment.

Brownlee has a great amount of talent. I think he is a perfect guy off the bench. He can do it all...rebound shoot, get to the basket. The biggest problem with Brownlee is he gets shooters happy. He hits one shot and then gets too comfortable and trys to drill it from all over. (especially this tendency occurs when he hits a 3 pointer) Brownlee is key, but off the bench he will probably play a combo of the 3 and 4

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
Hey Dave, Let be clear I enjoyed your article just wanted to provide my spin on it.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 06:02:36 PM »
I appreciate it, i love all feedback, and I try to respond as well....lets get some more of it!!!

guys please like it on FB and twitter if you have it...email it to friends...thats how we build this site into greatness!!