New York Teams Improvement [NY Times]

• 75 replies
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:17:57 PM by Dave »

nrb155

Re: New York Teams Improvement [NY Times]
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:27:52 PM »
The question is when will the holiday tournament be transformed into the tournament it once was and be relevant on a local if not national stage?

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »
The question is when will the holiday tournament be transformed into the tournament it once was and be relevant on a local if not national stage?

Some people believe that St. Johns is holding up the process, not wanting to play other locals. IN other words, If St Johns wants a local tourny, there will be 1

Poison

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
What does the writer mean that we've probably had the most recruiting success?

Next year, we'll be able to beat Seton Hall, Rutgers, Iona and Manhattan at the same time.

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
What does the writer mean that we've probably had the most recruiting success?

Next year, we'll be able to beat Seton Hall, Rutgers, Iona and Manhattan at the same time.

What about this year? Why hasnt St Johns played IONA or MAnhattan in years?

nrb155

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:36:48 PM »
Its a good point baldi...the school Probably is to fault for the under development of that tournament... I expect that mind set to change by 2012... an eight team tournament with all locals would be awesome... and we shouldn't be scared of any metro area school... but it does show our influence haha

Poison

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
We just played Manhattan and beat the snot out of them. Iona is on it's way to building a quality MAAC program.

But I think you know why we won't play them.

They're not good enough. If we win, it's expected, if we lose, it's a huge upset.
Let Iona go to the Sweet 16 several times,
and then maybe, they'll get an invite.

nrb155

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:48:06 PM »
Yea that's true poison but its ridiculous... you gotta give the NY basketball fan (who is hopefully rooting for us) something to get excited about outside of big east play.... the Alaska shootout and the current holiday tourament doesn't cut it.... doesn't put ppl in the seats and doesn't regenerate a fanbase

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:51:29 PM »
We just played Manhattan and beat the snot out of them. Iona is on it's way to building a quality MAAC program.

But I think you know why we won't play them.

They're not good enough. If we win, it's expected, if we lose, it's a huge upset.
Let Iona go to the Sweet 16 several times,
and then maybe, they'll get an invite.

How long has it been since St Johns was in the tournament? Iona isnt good enough to play St Johns? Cmon, gonna lineup NJIT,Stony Brook and LIU again? Thats a joke. WEstmont too is a joke.

Norm showed some sack beating the MAACs best team last year at a neutral site.

I think Cluess makes the NCAA before Lavin does

Poison

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:52:18 PM »
The Holiday Festival will sell if we put a top 10 team on the floor. If you put a top 10 team, like the one we'll have in 2 years out there to play Iona, it's not as big of a draw as another top 10 team.

We should be inviting teams like Texas, Illinois, Florida and Maryland. High major programs. That will have the best chance to sell.

nrb155

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 10:55:57 PM »
Eh I don't know... I think with local media hype a locals only tournament with plenty of local alumni to support it would be a big hit... granted it would be nice if some of the smaller schools were a little more competitive

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:56:09 PM »
The Holiday Festival will sell if we put a top 10 team on the floor. If you put a top 10 team, like the one we'll have in 2 years out there to play Iona, it's not as big of a draw as another top 10 team.

We should be inviting teams like Texas, Illinois, Florida and Maryland. High major programs. That will have the best chance to sell.

2002 ECAC Holiday Festival at MSG. Manhattan vs St Johns, Iona vs North Carolina. Guess what-Carolina played St Johns at 7PM the next night,not at 9PM

Poison

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »
Baldi, Iona makes the dance before a Steve Lavin coached SJU?

Have you been self-medicating again?

Even a Norm Roberts coached Johnny team, took out the best MAAC program in 25 years.

SJU won't play Iona because they have nothing to gain. I think it's pretty one sided to call SJU's schedule out. We play in the Big East. Iona plays in the Maac. You have a whole winter of cup cakes, except it doesn't feel that way, because you're a cup cake, too.

Think you're deserving of an invite to play to play a top 10 BE team? Let's see how you do on Dec 18th upstate.

nrb155

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »
Posion wouldn't You rather see the school play local cupcakes than random schools from the south like in years past

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
Baldi, Iona makes the dance before a Steve Lavin coached SJU?

Have you been self-medicating again?

Even a Norm Roberts coached Johnny team, took out the best MAAC program in 25 years.

SJU won't play Iona because they have nothing to gain. I think it's pretty one sided to call SJU's schedule out. We play in the Big East. Iona plays in the Maac. You have a whole winter of cup cakes, except it doesn't feel that way, because you're a cup cake, too.

Think you're deserving of an invite to play to play a top 10 BE team? Let's see how you do on Dec 18th upstate.

Youre mixing up your Siena years, the team 2 years ago was the top MAAC team the last 25 years.

Also IONA beat Providence at their place last year. Howd St Johns do in that game at home?

And FWIW, the Gaels took Baylor to OT

Poison

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
How many NCAA tourney wins did Iona and Manhattan win in 2002? Those wins were meaningless.

Just like any win over us in the last 7 years is meaningless.

You want to bring up a season where North Carolina lost to the little sisters of the poor, and take credit for it.

Okay. It's worth about as much as our win over UCLA at MSG in 03.

I'd be down for a local tournament, but I think that programs like Fordham
and Hofstra need to step up and earn it first. Maybe there would be room for one MAAC team. I'm just not convinced that Iona is the team to beat.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »
If the Gaels are so good why didn't they dance? You want us to play ny cupcakes, we did. We beat Siena and Hofstra.

Do you really want to brag about beating Providence? Providence beat us because we had an inept coach. Why isn't this completely obvious to you?

Poison

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »
Nrb, I would be okay with a few local cup cakes, but they do not deserve the same respect that a Duke gets.

There is no home and away with Iona. Not now, and probably not ever. They had a chance to be an appetizer 17-18 years ago, and wanted a fair match up.

That, makes them delusional.

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 11:12:12 PM »
How many NCAA tourney wins did Iona and Manhattan win in 2002? Those wins were meaningless.

Just like any win over us in the last 7 years is meaningless.

You want to bring up a season where North Carolina lost to the little sisters of the poor, and take credit for it.

Okay. It's worth about as much as our win over UCLA at MSG in 03.

I'd be down for a local tournament, but I think that programs like Fordham
and Hofstra need to step up and earn it first. Maybe there would be room for one MAAC team. I'm just not convinced that Iona is the team to beat.

That Carolina team had Raymond Felton,Sean May and Rashad McCants  on its roster.

The St Johns team that lost to Manhattan had Marcus Hatten,Elijah Ingram and Anthony Glover suiting up.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:21 PM »
So Baldi, you think that St.John's team had a lot of talent, and Elijah Ingram is your example of that talent?

At that time, SJU was willing to play Manhattan. They were by far and away the MAAC's best team that season. They are also a local. You're losing this argument.